QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  9:06:53 PM  Show Profile
I know osme of you have experience with milking cows, and a couple even have one now...what is a good, old, smaller breed? What is a fair price?
I'd really love to get one in the next year or two...I adore good, fresh cream and milk!
Dexters? Jerseys? Any advice gals?
What would you look for when in the market for a good milker?

Dalyn
Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com
Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  9:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know Aunt Jenny loves her Jersey. They have such a sweet face and seem to be well mannered as a general rule.

If I was buying an adult cow, I would look for stable manners and milking manners. I would expect her to be trained to lead on a halter and to stand comfortably while milking. Above and beyond that I am not sure. Perhaps Aunt Jenny can give you a better idea?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  9:55:59 PM  Show Profile
I never even considered any breed except the Jersey..they have always been my dream cow. I have been SO happy with my Mona..never regretted getting her for a second! I got Mona as a nearly 2 year old "springer heifer" ...pregnant with her first calf. She is 4 now and expecting her 3rd calf. She has been the sweetest, calmest, best cow I could hope for. Since she hadn't been handled much when I got her I just worked with her alot before that first calf was born and it really made all the difference. I had really planned to get a 4 or 5 year old family cow...none were around when I looked at all...for almost a year!! So when I found Mona (an hour and 1/2 drive away!) I felt lucky to find such a nice cow. There was a 4 year old cow for sale at the same place but I liked Mona better and chose her. She gives alot of milk for her size...8 gallons a day at peak. She has about a quart of cream on each gallon of milk..so that is great for butter too.
There is a website I love all about cows (and a companion book which I wouldn't want to be without!) called Keeping a family Cow... the web address is: www.keepingafamilycow.com there is a forum and it is fabulous. Mostly women with family cows and lots of experience to share. I really recomend it.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  04:21:54 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Jenny, Jerseys are nice. My Summer was a 3 year old cow, just had her second calf when I got her. She had freshened, with her first calf, with a dry front quarter. So she is only milking on 3. She was going to be culled out of the herd, so I got her for about what they would of got taking her to auction. She is so nice and sweet. I brushed her everyday, a talked to her all the time, and she is a friend. She was never halter broke, but I can lead her around, I call her and she comes running. I wanted a Jersey, cause they are smaller, and usually give less milk then a Holstein. My Summer gives about 3 gallons a milking, when she is just fresh.
I also just recently joined in on the web site Jenny recomends. It is really nice to be able to talk to others, and ask questions to others doing the same thing as I am.(thanks for that Jenny)
Michele
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  05:08:01 AM  Show Profile
I completely agree with Jenny and Michele. Jerseys are awesome. They are so beautiful and doe-eyed, and have great dispositions. They really seem to be laid-back and much more content than some of the other breeds. Also, their milk is much creamier.

When you go to buy your cow, I would try to buy her from a family, not a livestock auction. That way you can find out why they are selling her. And be sure to look at her feet and legs, make sure they are sound.

Have fun! My husband and I were talking last night about how we should buy a cow. With just two adults and one baby, we probably spend $60 a month on milk. When we have more kids, I don't see how we will afford not to!
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  07:54:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm swooning...I have always thought Jersey cows to be so beautiful. I'd love to have one critter to milk istead of several...I have ruptured a disk in my back again this fall I think and just can't handle 15 goats to trim hooves on, give shots too, and milk anymore. O-L-D my husband jokes *U* complicated by a case of a-g-e isn't he a turkey?

Well, I know someone with a jersey and she just loves her, but she appears huge to me. Bu then again, I'm used to goats. I'll have to start looking. YOu would think it wouldn't be so hard here to find one, as it's supposedly one of the hottest spots for dairies. But, I don't want a Holstein.

Dalyn
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  08:39:57 AM  Show Profile
That is the hard part...Holsteins are easier to find here. I found a few mixed breeds that were nice cows but enormous and just not my Jersey so I refused to give up until I found one. I found mine on a website we have called KSL.com that has ads all over the state for things for sale, including but not limited to Livestock and pets.
I agree about buying from a family!!! The guy I bought Mona from gets a couple Jersey calves a year from his family's dairy and raises them on his place and breeds them when they are old enough. He usually sells them as trained milkers AFTER they have calved the first time, but his wife had just had a premature very ill baby and she wouldnt' be able to help with milking that year so he was selling all but one of his milkers (his own family cow) even though Mona wasn't ready to calve yet. It is a good idea to check around and see what a cow costs in your area too. They arn't cheap but they won't sell them for less than the "hamburger price". Sad but true.
And it did take some getting used to a cow..sizewise after milking goats for a long time for me too..but now, when I take care of my friend's goats when she is gone they just seem tiny!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  1:02:19 PM  Show Profile
Just curious - I love Jerseys and was wondering what price they go for?
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  1:10:18 PM  Show Profile
I think it really does depend on your area but I paid $1,500 for Mona a little over two years ago, and it was a very normal price..not high or low either one. You can figure that a 1,000 lb animal, if butchered would be 500 lb. hamburger..at least...and then put that times hamburger price and it will be about right. A good trained milker could be more..and a calf would be less. IF you can find one for sale. I never could. That was something I considered too..raising a jersey heifer calf to be my milk cow. Never found anyone who would part with one!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  2:19:48 PM  Show Profile
How about a Dutch Belted? Don't know much about them, but they're a gentle rare/heritage breed that supposedly gives wonderful milk.
Here's a link to the Dutch Belted Cattle Association of America:
http://www.dutchbelted.com/About%20the%20Breed.html

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  07:03:21 AM  Show Profile
THere are alot of miniatures out there nowadays...but wow- so much $$. Even alot for the miniature goat breeds. I should be smart and start breeding my own Nubians into mini's and saving up the sale money for a milk cow *U*

Dalyn
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~

Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  07:08:07 AM  Show Profile
Since I figured out how to put the photos /images in (finally!) thought I'd post one of my two prettiest girls:
although I do have two blue pearl roans also that are dazzling (to a goat lover *U*) I need to sell off most of my girls because I just can't take care of every body's feet and other vetting stuff, let along milking, with another ruptured disk in my back. It kills to bend over that many times! I have over 15 of these beauties...that's why I like the idea of ONE cow!

Dalyn
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~

Edited by - QueenofQuiteAlot on Feb 15 2008 07:13:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  07:09:31 AM  Show Profile
wow- sorry about how huge that is! I don't know how to make that smaller...guess it's back to the drawing board!

Dalyn
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~

Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  07:13:44 AM  Show Profile
ah...much better. It doesn't take p the whole page!
*U*

Dalyn
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  6:11:44 PM  Show Profile
Dalyn,

I don't want to be out of line here, since I'm not sure of your stalling situation, but have you thought to have your girls milked on a raised station? My friend upstate has only 3 Saanen females, but she also hurt her back and it was a hassle to bend over. Her hubby made a raised stanchion for the goats to climb up on and she could milk them sitting in a normal position. She also trimmed their hoofs while they were up on that and it seemed to help a bit. I don't know if this would work out with so many goats on your end, though...

Hey...if nothing else, you could always get some city girl to be your farmhand and help since I---I mean, she---is looking to learn all sorts of farmy things, anyway

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:

www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com

www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  6:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Well get over here sister! I'm willing to teach you *U*
I do have a stanchion, but my husband will have to raise it for me again. The problem with a bad back is that no matter how "convenient" the stanchion is, 12 to 18 goats with 4 feet each that need trimming is still alot! We just did the Boer goat tonight, and that was enough for one day. Whew. I got out easy though...taught some friends who are ranching newbies who were visiting the ranch to do it.
I think her husband got queasy though when Ihad her hold the little buckling so I could wether him. *U* I LOVE doing that when men are around. Poor guys! They always go pale and need to go for a walk...he he he.

Dalyn
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~

Edited by - QueenofQuiteAlot on Feb 16 2008 9:25:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  9:17:56 PM  Show Profile
Ooh, Dalyn...hehe...you are a stinker about wethering the goats in such a way! Ha! Hey, I am SERIOUS, I am trying to look for a place to learn some kind of farming, at the moment! So, be careful, you'll find me on your doorstep, with an invitation like that I promise Im a hard worker and I don't eat much!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:

www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com

www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  09:27:17 AM  Show Profile
Bless your heart! Do you know how many wmen friends visit me for a weekend and declare they couldn't live like this?! Cracks me up. That's when I was milking twice per day though...I feel like a lady of leisure now.
That's the best way to learn is to go and do it. Iknow a lady here with a big farm. She raises veggies, apples, cherries, and other tree fruits, and goats and poultry all for profit. She had some young guy living with them as an apprentice for about two years! Boy I envied her. He did all the hard work. *U*

Find someone close and just spend weekends or something if you can. Great learning experience. Pick someone who makes cheese or does something with what they raise or grow...get as much experience as you can.

Dalyn
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York