Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 How did you learn to sew?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How did you learn to sew? Next Topic
Page: of 2

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  8:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Re: sewing machines
There are lots of good threads here in this community. If it were me buying my first big girl sewing machine, I'd buy a white or a singer for dead cheap new, and decide that way which features I couldn't live without, and which features I didn't care about. By the time you are too frustrated with your machine to live, you'll know what it is you really want in a sewing machine :)

A vintage machine is great, but if it hasn't been serviced before you buy it, plan on dropping another $75-$100 on it for servicing before you are up and ready to go.

Re: Starting projects
Another topic that has been discussed many times, so check out old threads for good suggestions. My advice is, if you are wanting to do home dec type projects, start with pillowcases (and be sure to make them in colors you want, or colors I want and send some to me ;). If you want to do garment construction start with a skirt. If you want to quilt, definitely check out your local quilt shop and see what's on offer as far as classes go.

Good luck!

Robin

Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  4:11:02 PM  Show Profile
self taught really, though mom helped a bit...also a 12 part lesson series from a woman who's been sewing for 40+ years...

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln
Check out my blog:http://thebellamodiste.blogspot.com/
and my Etsy store: www.shesewsbytheseashore.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How did you learn to sew? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page