Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Do your dogs love to eat chicken %#@*
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Do your dogs love to eat chicken %#@* Next Topic  

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  6:35:53 PM  Show Profile
I know this is really gross, but I'm just curious if it's just my dog, and our dog before him of if all dogs have this craving to eat chicken poop???

I took our new puppy out to the barn to meet the chickens and at first he had fun running around ,stirring them all up, then he discovered the poop. YUCK! I had to grab him and shut him out of the barn so he wouldn't get sick.

Please tell me this is normal.

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  7:21:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh, yeah. My dogs eat any kind of poop... chicken, goat, horse, cat, other dogs... they don't care- they love it all!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  9:09:39 PM  Show Profile
Mine too..ugh! I think about any dog will.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

doublebow
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

michelle
springtown tx
37 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  07:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh, yes! I used to think it was because of bad nutrition but now I think they just like it!
Go to Top of Page

Mnhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kathy
Battle Lake minnesota
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  1:22:32 PM  Show Profile
LOL, trust me it's not just your dog! Mine are funny, they hardly ever eat horse poop in the summer they prefer to just roll in it when it's fresh In the winter when the poop is frozen they love it. Must be like a poopcicle. I have to be very careful when they come in the house after barn chores cause they will sneak a frozen turd in the house and I won't notice it til it starts to thaw and smell!!!

Farm House Formulas Battle Lake, MN
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  2:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Kathy...Poopsicle... that one had me laughing out loud, for SURE!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4186 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4186 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  04:19:00 AM  Show Profile
My dog is 2 years old now, and still loves eating poo. When we start haveing beef babies, that is her favorite.....blah. Ruby also now begs for her fresh milk fix morning and night!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  3:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Poopsicle is too cute!! My current dog doesn't eat poop, but I used to have one that ate cat poo and then got sick. Didn't stop him.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Sunshine Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Wendy
Chesapeake VA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  4:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Yep. All dogs love it. Mine go crazy over those nice warm "cat cookies" fresh from the litter box. And your right, it's gross. We always say they're getting %^$#faced!

"they say I've lost my mind....I think I've finally found it"
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  10:47:02 AM  Show Profile
Okay, good, at least it's not just mine doing this. Poopsicles. That's a good one. I was pretty worried because people always say that other animals shouldn't be penned in with chickens because of coccidiosis that they can get. I wasn't sure if a dog could get that from eating poop or what??? My other dog never seemed to have problems with her "samples" she had to bring to the vet for heartworm. So I guess I won't worry about it, just be grossed out. He eats the cat poop too out of the litter box. GAG!!

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  11:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think it is an instictual drive left over from when they were wild. Predators will roll and eat the poop of a prey animal to disguise their predatory smell. Also it helps them to know how healthy the animals are. I think it is gross myself. My dog thinks that horse poop is 4 star dining. bleck.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  03:18:23 AM  Show Profile
My dog is like this too! She discovered goose dookie first, then chicken when we allowed her more freedom into the yard.

Sometimes on potty breaks she'd be more into eating the chicken yummies than doing her business. So the free ranging chickens had to be locked in for awhile-just so the dog would do her business quicker!

She still has an affinity for it

The worst was when she ate a REALLY big one- I mean small dog size.

It made her sick while she was in the house. I ended up burning that cleaning towel and disinfecting the spot big time! Good thing we have hardwood.

Not sure what can be done ot correct it. Seems like the more you get onto her, the faster she gobbles

I have seen this w/ cow patties. Now that is stomach turning. Thankfully it wasn't with my current pup.
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  6:20:08 PM  Show Profile
You're right Anna! As soon as I tell Riley "NO!" and head for him to get him out of the poop, he does start eating it faster! I'm shuddering now just thinking about it, GAG!

Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  7:16:39 PM  Show Profile
LOL on the Poopsicles, my dog *sneaks* into the horse run-in during choretime to snitch the frozen treat. Seems to like the dried ones in the summer time...is not allowed to 'give kisses.'
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  5:37:37 PM  Show Profile
My doxies don't have the delicasy of chicken and horse but my oh my do they love rabbit berries!!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Sussanna
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Sussanna
West Point Utah
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  10:32:51 PM  Show Profile
My dogs love all poo too. One night my standard Poodle came running in and jump in my lap with a poo sicle hanging out of her mouth. It looked like she had a cigar. She had brought a gift to me.

Farm Princess
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  03:19:47 AM  Show Profile
It must be the feed or something. Jas sometimes tries to eat the chicked feed like it's crack!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  05:26:43 AM  Show Profile
can't say i ever saw Cabin or Creek do that! but we had olde english's before .. Rugby and Nannie ... Nannie loved to eat LIVE CHICKENS .. now THAT was a habit we never did break her of! YUCK! (POOR CHICKENS!!)

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Do your dogs love to eat chicken %#@* Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page