Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Surgery For Scar Tissue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Surgery For Scar Tissue Next Topic  

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  3:18:12 PM  Show Profile
At 41 I had sizeable a lump appear on my shoulder. The Doc removed it and it was sent for testing. It proved to be a very rare form of cancer and was actually sent too America to be diagnosed..10 days later I was in hopsital having aggressive surgery.
Lymp nodes removed from under my arm, the original site cut again.
They had to operate ahead of where it may go, due to there not being any radiation or chemo, they would work on this cancer.Gave me 3 years tops, but that was 6 years ago now. My problem now is that they want to operate again as I have alot of pain under the arm and into the breast, which they feel is scar tissue.I am not keen for more surgery, as from what I have heard, the more air the gets into cancer sites,the quicker it spreads.. Does removing scar tissue, mean that in time more will build up, from that surgery and you have to have it again?? Any help or advice gladly appreciated.

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  3:35:44 PM  Show Profile
Helen, I have no medical training but was there no facility for you to recieve the chemo and radiation? How did your doctors know that all the cancer had been eliminated? Can you remember what the medical term for the cancer was? I am wondering and worried that you are experiencing pain again in that area. Did not know scar tissue could cause pain. Have your health providers run any tests to determine the extent of the scar tissue, or if there may be cancer reoccuring? It just seems to me really drastic to start carving on you again if it is scar tissue. Can you get other medical advice on this? I would do some serious research, and get other opinions from qualified oncologists. I am praying for you dear, this must be very troubling.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 27 2005 3:36:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  3:43:59 PM  Show Profile
I had a c-section and then three surgeries while trying to get pregnant again. The pain from the scar tissue was terrible. It literally took my breath away at times. I had surgery to remove the scar tissue. It does indeed create opportunity for more scar tissue but the relief was worth it. It's been 10 years and I do still have an occasional twinge based on my monthly cycle but it's nothing terrible.

Air causing cancer to spread faster is misunderstood. When you think about the continuous oxygen supply our blood stream is producing it makes more sense that this is exaggerated. Years ago this seemed to be true because soon after surgery the patient died. In reality, the patient's cancer was so advanced that it didn't make much difference, and the difference it did make was from weakening the body with additional injury. Are you reasonably healthy other than this problem?

I can't say that in your situation I know what I'd do. It's a highly personal, difficult decision. I wish you well.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com

Edited by - ThymeForEweFarm on Aug 27 2005 3:47:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  3:49:01 PM  Show Profile
Helen, I had 2 c-sections and did not have any scar tissue that rebuilt or any pain except a little tenderness the first year after the surgery. Everyone is different. I would certainly ask questions, it is your right to do so. If you want to talk further, email me. Jen

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  5:23:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Meadowlark and Thyme. Meadowlark, they labeled me under Merkel Cell cancer, the closest group I could fit into. There was radiation and chemo avaible, but apparrently it wasnt of any use on this type of cancer, so that is why they did they agggressive surgery.
I am still regularly checked and still in remission. So little is known though, I am sort of a ginnea pig.

Thyme, the pain is like a hot sharp knife going into you and it is certainly very draining.I am pleased to hear you had very little pain since removal of scar tissue, that gives me some hope and peace of mind. Just having major problem on deciding what to do.

Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  7:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Helen, I'm so sorry you are having to make such a difficult decision. Pleezzz, do as much research as you can. Check online for additional info. (md.com is one site I know of), but i'm sure there are others. My daughter has been seriously ill and we've found you must take control of your body and your treatment. Alot of what the drs. do is what they call "protocol" and not necessarily what is best for you personally. Also, check your diet. I've seen alot of healing take place when a more natural diet is consumed.
In the meantime, I'll be praying and saying this affirmation for you:
GOD KNOWS AND GOD SHOWS.

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  8:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh Helen what a decision and heart ache this must be for you. Please know you will be in my thoughts and prayers. After monitoring both my parents illnesses and my most recent circumstances, I have learned that you must ask every question, turn over every option and be an active advocate in your care. Don't let them tell you it will all be alright, ask for data statistics and compare treatments. If you are at all uncomfortable with the way you are treated, get a second or third opinion. Last summer I had a lumpectomy and because I requested that they also check ,my lymph nodes ,I had them removed as this was a questionable site and turned out that there were precancerous cells present. The doctor wouldn't have remembered that was where the problems started with my Mom but I certainly let him know and it changed my course of treatment. I am clear, free and planning on staying that way like you.If you are in pain it is your body's way of letting you know something is not right, I hope you find some answers and relief in the very near future.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  8:33:24 PM  Show Profile
hey helen-

first-way to go by living well beyond your "sentence" at the time of your first surgery! i hate it when someone tries to tell a patient how long they have to live-life and death are ultimately only in the hands of our good Father, and not in the hands of doctors.

second, even though it's hard to do, especially when you are hurting, i urge you to seek out a second, and a third, and a fourth opinion. Keep asking and listening until you have peace with what you are hearing-you may not necessarily agree with what they are telling you but until you have peace in your heart, don't do anything drastic like more surgery.

everyone heals differently; i would think that because you formed so much scar tissue with your first surgery, you would be prone to reform it again. but ask about different nutrition or exercises that may help/prevent so much scarring.

this is a good time to lean on your "sisters" and let us send lots of love and healing prayers and thoughts to you. it must be very scary at times-i know i would be pretty freaked out. but there's lots of support and wisdom here-we're here for you.

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  06:14:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Helen,

Beyond all the advice above, I can tell you that the skin on your body is different depending on it's location. You are probably already aware of that - for example, the skin on the inside of your wrists is very thin while the skin on your back is very thick. Then there are the areas in between.

Scar tissue formation is affected both by the thickness of the skin AND by the amount of movement in that area. I have a nasty scar on my right shoulder - a knife wound (long story, but let me just assure you all that I got away from the guy, a complete stranger, and he ended up in worse shape than I did!). I talked to a Plastic Surgeon about having the scar removed. He said it could be done but that my right arm would have to be completely immobilized for 8-12 weeks after surgery because any movement would cause the scar to re-form just as thick and wide as before. I decided not to pursue it because I am too busy.

In your case since the scar is causing you such discomfort, I would go for it but have a plan ahead of time for the immobilization. You will need to get help around the house/barn. Not an easy thing for us self sufficient FarmGirls to ask for but we all need help now and then. Too bad you are so far away, you know you would get plenty of help from the rest of us.

Good Luck BubbleSnooze! I pray that you are well and safe.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

Lazycreek
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Charlee
Mt Ida AR
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  11:24:54 AM  Show Profile
I had a tumor removed from my foot a little over a year ago and I had a lot of scar tissue develop. Months of physical therapy did wonders. I still have some, but most of it has been "broken up". The therapist used aggressive massage and electrical shock, so it was not without pain. I was told that the scar tissue could be removed, but anytime you have surgery, you are going to develop scar tissue, so therefore, it could be just a constant circle. You might at least talk with a certified physical therapist to see what your options are.

Believe in the power of your dreams
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  12:58:11 PM  Show Profile
Many thanks all for your support and replies. It took 2 years to come right from the surgery, as I had no armpit. My arm was basically attached to my side.It did take alot of massage and excerise to form the armpit again. The scar tissue has formed in the armpit area. I already have no feeling from shoulder to elbow as they had to sacraifice some nerves.I would dearly love to be rid of the pain, but also dont want more damage or lose of movement.Just cant come to a comfortable discession on this one yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Surgery For Scar Tissue Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page