Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Bummed and pumped at the same time....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bummed and pumped at the same time.... Next Topic  

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  1:56:35 PM  Show Profile
Just got back from Olympia where I went to Grocery Outlet to see what bargains I could find. When I got up to the register - the very young (punk!) clerk told me I got 10% off today because it was SENIOR CITIZENS DAY!!! Mind you - he didn't ask - he just assumed. I asked how old I had to be and at least he said 55. So I was bummed that it was so obvious, but pumped to save $5 on my groceries!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  2:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
LoL!! Sherri, look at it this way, you might be older, but you are probably ALOT wiser than that punk kid!And shoot you saved 5 bucks baby!

Mama to 2
I am who I am
FarmGirl# 20

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  3:24:19 PM  Show Profile
Yep - that would be the positive slant on it! And being I'm trying to live by "The Secret", that's the take I'll stick with!

Farmgirl Sister #98
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  3:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Hey if it saves me a couple of $$ I am willing to let a clerk assume & give me a discount, which by the way also happened to me at, get this,,,, the Goodwill store!!!! acck! did I look that bad,,,,my DH could barely contain himself & gave me such a rash all the way home, but I reminded him we saved several dollar...he still was having way to much fun with that...yes he got a 'frozen dinner' that night!!! ha ha!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  5:21:57 PM  Show Profile
I had a chuckle over that one. Once I was mistaken for my sister's mother by a salesperson (my sister is 13 months younger than me).
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  6:26:48 PM  Show Profile
I'm 29 and I got carded buying lottery tickets over Christmas. And once hubby and I were flying and our tickets both got tagged for that "random" search thing they used to do. I was told since I was "under 15" I wasn't subject to searching. I was 25 at the time!!!!! Sometimes I wish people thought I was"old"!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  08:38:31 AM  Show Profile
Don't feel bad, Sherri. I went to drop something off at my younger brother's frat house last summer and one of his frat brothers asked "Are you his mom?" I'm only 8 years older than he is! That was a crushing blow!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  08:45:46 AM  Show Profile
Ouch. Sorry, Sherri...when I worked at Kohls part time, they had these senior citz days for 15% off, and we weren't allowed to "ask" because it would be offensive, and not to just assume because well, we all know that rule :) I think the age was 60 there...but every now and again, I'd get someone who just wanted the discount and they'd say, "um, I'm a senior citizen, do I get my 15%?"
I figure, if you want to admit that getting up there for 15% why not give it to you????

The worst part about Senior day there was that folks would literally go the nursing home and get out grandma, who wasn't even lucid and wheel her in in her slippers and nightdress, just to get the discount!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  08:59:52 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - no WAY would someone do that! That's terrible! Well, I took the RealAge test and it said I was 4-5 years older than my actual age, so I've been working on it. I know that stress is a big contributor so I've really been making an effort to cut that back and deal with it better. Plus, I've been trying to eat better. No exercise yet, but it's in my plans! Apparently, it hasn't worked yet!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  09:03:24 AM  Show Profile
It's true. They would buy diamond rings stuff and say, "um, she's buying this as a gift..she gets a discount on jewelry, right?" It was really pathetic.

What's the Real Age test, Sherri?

I know too well the toll stress can have on your body, your skin, everything. I was so stressed at one time in my life, they tested me for MS because my body would go numb and I would just fall down. I've never looked more "dead" then, either...face really drawn and skin without luster--my eyes had no life in them. Whew. Glad that's over!!! I'm hoping that, for you, if you keep concentrating on YOU, everything will come around.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2907 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2907 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  11:01:45 AM  Show Profile
OK Sherri, I have one for you.. I am 47, and about 3 yrs ago I was buying some beer,& the guy at the register says "Do you have ID?" I just laughed & said, you must be kidding, but was all excited. So I showed it to him & he gives me this stare & said "What's that for? " I said "You asked for my ID." He said, "No I said is that all you need?" So not only do I obviously look my age, but I am apparently going deaf too!!!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  11:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Before we were married and I was stationed in Washington state and DH was in San Diego, DH was helping me move into my apartment. I ran into someone from work and they were like "Is that your dad?" Yikes!! But, I just tell DH how lucky he is to be married to someone so young.... ; )

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  1:43:36 PM  Show Profile
Ok, at least you got a discount out of the deal. You girls have made me laugh. Thanks.

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  2:03:59 PM  Show Profile
Lisa - you made my day!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bummed and pumped at the same time.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page