Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2004 :  10:13:27 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone (sourjayne???) know when the next issue of MaryJane's Farm come out? I am just having the hardest time waiting!!!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2004 :  10:24:12 AM  Show Profile
I agree with you, Jenny! I'm just guessing that the magazine is trying to find its niche on the timeframe when there are books to publish, crops to grow, market days to 'make happen', etc.... maybe wishing it along together, we'll give 'em some encouragement to get it out! I'm also on the list to get the Premiere Issue, once it finally gets circulated to me.... people are keeping it a long time before sending it along on its journey.

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2004 :  10:43:25 AM  Show Profile
yes I can't wait for the next issue.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2004 :  10:56:35 AM  Show Profile
I am looking forward to the next issue as well! Each time I go in Borders I look to see if they have one I do not. A copy of every issue of Maryjane's is sitting on my pine potato bin that I use to hold quilt fabric and supplies. I look at them again and again.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Cntrymom
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Barb
Romeoville Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2004 :  12:27:26 PM  Show Profile
I have been making a trip to Borders every other day. We are leaving on vacation soon, and I wanted to take the new issue with me!! I'm desperate!!
Go to Top of Page

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2004 :  1:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to disappoint you gals -- but I thought I'd let you know that you can save yourselves the trips to the bookstore for a little while. We haven't sent the magazine to the printer yet, still waiting on some final details. We will be sending it to the printer in a couple weeks, then it usually takes some time after that for them to get it printed, bound, and sent off to the distributor. I believe we're looking at September 1st for it to be in stores. Sorry for the delay, but we're doing the best we can.

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2004 :  4:30:17 PM  Show Profile
Dear Sarah -
I like calling you that better than sourjayne :)
Thank you for the update. It is so nice to be in touch with someone who is an actual bee! And to know how the process is coming along! We can wait if we know we must. Putting together a publication is no easy feat - I worked for an advertising agency for 4 years, and worked for a needlework book publisher for 15 years, so I realize the work that goes into it. I am sure it will be worht waiting for!

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2004 :  11:22:39 PM  Show Profile
I can hardly wait. I just got back two of my issues that I had loaned my 26 year old son. He really really enjoyed them. I had to BEG for him to finally bring them home. I will read them a few more times. They are actually looking worn!!! I agree..I am sure the next issue will be worth the wait. They all have been!!!
Boy, I sent the premiere issue off right at a week...hmmm...maybe I should have read it one more time??

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  12:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls! This is Carol here at MaryJanesFarm. I'm Design Director and Associate Editor at the magazine. I haven't posted to our forum yet; have just been having fun reading all your posts! Nearly every spare moment of my day is spent working on MaryJane's magazine and book, so I haven't found time to write to you all. But I do enjoy so much hearing all your wonderful comments about the magazine and all of your great dialogue and suggestions in the other forums.

Well, you'll be glad to know that we've sent the magazine off to the printer this week, and it is scheduled to start hitting the magazine stands about the middle of this month. The issue theme is "Hands" this time. I think you'll love it - we think it's our best yet!

I have an idea for you for the next issue, which we'll start working on right away. Its theme will be "Country Roads." Since I suspect many of you live on or like to explore your own country roads, I wonder if any of you have a story for us? If you do, go to our homepage and navigate to the magazine section, then "Keeping in Touch." I'll have Sarah post a current listing for "Country Roads," and we'll read your submissions and pick some for the website and possibly even for the magazine. Or if you'd rather just send to the forum, just write here or in a new category. Hope you like this idea, and can't wait to hear your stories if you do!

Much love and thanks coming from us here at the farm!
Carol

she laughed and laughed ...
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  5:15:15 PM  Show Profile
Carol - Please consider this an entry for the Country Roads issue. I am so excited that you have asked us to be an active part of your wonderful magazine!

jpbluesky

The last time she went down that country road she was 50. It had not changed. Thank God. Turning off the hard road she could see the farm, the barn, the pasture across open fields. The memories were visible too. Her husband sensed it and went slow.

The first time she remembers riding that undulating gravel road she was five, maybe six. Dolly beside her in the back seat, between her and her sister. Skinned knee. All the car windows down and Iowa breezes flowing through - looking at the back of mom and daddy’s heads. Through the years to come, the times she traveled that road all held a part of her. The first and the last not much different, but almost a lifetime apart.

After that country gravel road, up the lane to the farm! Past the mailbox, and past the kitchen garden, into the grassy area between the house and the barn. Each time upon arrival her granddaddy would be there in the yard to grab her elbows, shake her gently and ask, “How are you little girl? Are you going to help us with the milking?”

There were times down that road, with open summer skies and unending fields, that she sat between her uncle and her daddy on the way to the nearest town to get feed or have breakfast at the diner. Fertile, the closest town was called, a reflection of the surrounding earth. Even as a young child, she knew that.

There were times down that country road, balmy summer evenings after chores, when she rode to town between her teen-age boy cousins, a teenager herself now, riding in the old green pick-up. They never failed to stop at A&W for root beer floats and if the time was right, a couple of hours circling at the roller rink.

There were times down that road, cornfields on both sides; the family church steeple in the near distance, white and lovely against the blue, that she knew this was her place. And it was God’s place.

There was the time down that road when she knew it was her daddy’s last visit, and she watched the family faces as the car pulled in. It was bittersweet – she 16 and her parents barely in their 50’s, her mother driving this time. Her daddy with the brave face.

There was the time at age 50; the country road to the farm was still beautiful, with the fields stretching in the distance and the church steeple still there. Blue sky and fields of corn. And her uncle waiting in the barnyard to hold her by the elbows when she got out of the car, saying, “How are you, little girl? Are you going to help us with the milking?”

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  7:45:24 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie,
You are a word doctor! Excellent submission. I could see it in my minds eye and feel it in my heart. And it brought a tear to my eyes.
Beautiful. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  8:15:29 PM  Show Profile
Wow!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  10:08:17 PM  Show Profile
Dear Jeannie,
Clare's right - you are a wonderful writer! I could see that country road and all those different "yous" traveling down it!
Thank you!
Carol

she laughed and laughed ...
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  05:57:55 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the nice comments!

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  8:35:48 PM  Show Profile
Ah, Jeannie, you are talking about home. I know Fertile (very close to my home), and those Iowa breezes, and summer nights. Yes, those are our memories. Thank you so much. You weren't just writing to write..you were feeling memories.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2004 :  10:05:50 AM  Show Profile
Dear GrammaJ -
I have been meaning to locate Rockford, Iowa on the map out of curiosity. It is exciting to know that you are near Fertile! When people ask me where the farm is, I always say near Forest City and they will say with a blank look, "But, what is the big city near it?" Well, there isn't any, really! Thank Goodness.

Yes, I was definitely writing memories. Wish I had enough money to buy that farm when it comes time. My aunt is still there, and my cousins still help her. But she is in her 80's, and I do not think the boys want to farm anymore when she is gone. They live in Manley. I can dream.....

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  9:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Okay..let's see if this helps..close your eyes..and picture Clear Lake, IA (a little south of Forest City-home to the manufacturer of Winnebago motorhomes) Clear Lake is home to the Surf Ballroom. Many years ago..Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper and others were leaving CL after a gig at the Surf. Nasty Winter weather. Their plane went down shortly after takeoff. People come from all over the world every winter to remember/celebrate "the night the music died". About 10 miles east of Clear Lake is Mason City (the largest community in this area). Home to "The Music Man". Mason City was in inspiration for this musical written by Meridith Willson, and was Meridith's hometown, and the town has every intention of using that to the max (with the family's ok). Also hometown to Bill Baird. Remember the marionettes in "The Sound of Music"? Mr. Baird made those, and many others. And, they all reside in the local museum. (the marionettes, not Willson and Baird.)Mason City is approx. 30, 000. I remember there was a headline in a local newspaper: Manly Man Marries Fertile Woman. Boy, did that one get attention. The story and people involved ended up on the Tonight Show. A friend of ours owns/runs a little cafe in Fertile. Her father is the butcher in Fertile. They both have featured in the newspapers. Oh, Rockford is about 10 more miles east of Mason City. Another tiny burg. Boyhood home to Robert Waller (amoung others)and author of The Bridges of Madison County. I live on 10 wooded acres in between those two. I commute to Mason City to work Mon thru Fri. Hope you didn't mind the road trip. I worked at MC City Hall for many years, and am used to getting excited about the "grand tour" of our area.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  05:03:00 AM  Show Profile
Until two months ago, my aunt and uncle went to the cafe in Fertile several times a week for lunch. My uncle recently passed. Now my aunt has begun to go alone, but has many friends there who gather to talk each day. She drives from the farm to Fertile just to go to the cafe. You don't suppose....? My aunt may know your friend!

I hope my submissions are not getting too personal for all the other readers, but it is amazing to make a farmgirl connection, which is what the title of this board says it is!

I had an aunt and uncle in Forest City - he used to own the Chrysler/Plymouth dealership. I still have "city" cousins there, although one has a small horse farm on Hwy 69. And another cousin is a Manly man! The farm's mail uses Joice,Iowa's post office.

We stayed at cabins on Clear Lake sometimes during the summer to swim and have fun for a few days. We got neighbors to do the milking for us. I have photos of my sister and myself in our bathing suits sitting on the wall beside the lake.

Thank you for the great tour of your Iowa area. I loved reading about the history. I know from expereince it is beautiful, and you are very fortunate to live there. You are a good ambassador for Mason city, too!

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  12:39:54 PM  Show Profile
You would be refering to the Downtown Cafe, and Butcher's Steakhouse. My friend is Janey. I have not been to either establishment, but I am sure they are farmgirl friendly. I spent this past 4th of July at the sea wall in Clear Lake. (the one in your photos). My daughter had her first craft show there this year. She did quite well. We're thinking of the new issue of MaryJane's Farm. I am just letting go of the Premier Issue today..forwarding it on to the next in line. What a fun experience! The journal is a jewel!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  6:56:45 PM  Show Profile
I loved that they included the journal in with the premiere issue! I was the first to get it ( I think there are more than one..but I was the first in the one I got) so I didn't get to see what anyone else wrote. I thought it was such a nice idea!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  9:01:15 PM  Show Profile
Still anxiously awaiting my turn at receiving the premier issue. Being the last in line in my batch is the pitts! You'd think you'd outgrow impatience of this sort, wouldn't ya! haha

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  8:53:41 PM  Show Profile
but at least you will get to see what everyone else wrote in the journal. I have a real impatience problem too, though..hehee

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Next issue? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page