Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  8:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Doug and I jokingly refer to the crib as baby prison, but it really started to worry me when Nora was grabbing the top rail and jumping. I didn't want her jumping _out_.

So I took down the crib, put the mattress on the floor and super baby proofed the room.

It took her about 3 days to learn to not crawl off and cry at the door for me. Now I can put her down awake and she will fall asleep within 5 minutes for the whole night.

Well, this morning I went in to get her and there was no baby on the bed, but I heard sleepy baby noises behind the rocking chair by the closet (The rocking chair is kindof in the middle of the room). Nora had at some point crawled off the bed and fallen asleep with some stuffed animals in the corner. She slept on the carpet long enough to get carpet impressions on half of her face!

Isn't it amazing where kids can sleep?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  9:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh..so cute!! Yep...we used my son's sleep mat one day (during one of our many moves) to put him down for a nap. After about 2 hours, I looked in on him and was huddled in the corner, with his cookie monster and blanket, knocked out!! We have berber carpet, so he looked like he was attacked by small circles of popcorn!!

Darn those kids...

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  04:32:56 AM  Show Profile
my girls were escape artists they figured out how to climb out of the crib by ten and a half months. i would be in the living room and all of a sudden here comes the baby walking out of the room. even in sleepers they could get out, they figured out how to use their toes and climb up the rails but they never got hurt. i sat at the door and spied on them once, what a great learning session that was to see how they think. i have to say a play pen worked very well after that cause its mesh and they cant climb out with their toes. yep i have always had little monkeys and still do

lavendar girl
http://lavendarfieldsdreamer.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  05:36:44 AM  Show Profile
Our kids were in the bed with us mainly for the ease of breastfeeding. A mattress on the floor in their room became necessary so I could get some sleep. It was easy to get out of without waking them up.....just kinda' roll off the side and onto the floor and the bed never moves!

A gate was placed at the door to prevent them from getting around the house without supervision. They learned to climb that and many a time in the middle of the night I'd have a child coming to me for nursing!

They are all too smart.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  06:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We created a "baby Barricade" out of those plastic storage tubs in a half circle away from the door and then we just shut the door. That way she can't get behind the door and the noise of the rest of the house doesn't bother her.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  5:25:54 PM  Show Profile
You're so smart, Alee! I need to start all over and try that.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  6:45:14 PM  Show Profile
During the summer we would have a fan blowing into Tate's room on the other side of the baby gate because he will have seizures if he gets overheated. So he would always get out of bed and fall asleep on the floor in front of the fan. Of course, he always brought his menagerie of stuffed animals with him!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  6:50:13 PM  Show Profile
Alee- what a sweet story! Your Nora is so lucky to have you!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  04:32:33 AM  Show Profile
Heather...about the fan. Still to this day, each of us has a box fan in our rooms and cannot sleep without them. We even take a box fan with us on trips. My mother-in-law bought one to keep at her house wo we won't have to travel with it. There's just something about that sound that is so soothing.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  06:37:07 AM  Show Profile
my daughter loves it too!!
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Floor Bed Next Topic