Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 hemming stretch fabric
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic hemming stretch fabric Next Topic  

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  11:07:52 PM  Show Profile
i am making a dress out of a lycra blend.. and need to do the elastic casing and hem.. going with the stretch, any hints?

visit me at my blog
mousiesmom.wordpress.com

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  11:49:34 PM  Show Profile
Assuming your making an elastic waist (the method would be the same anyway), measure your elastic to the length you want it and stitch the ends together to form a circle. Now divide the elastic into four with pins, equally spaced apart. Do the same with the waist, divide it into four. Match up the pins on the elastic to the pins on the wrong side of the waistband. Use a wide zigzag stitch and gently stretch the elastic to fit the lycra as you stitch. Then turn the waistband to the inside over the elastic and using a zigzag stitch again, gently stretch out the fabric just until it's smooth. A zigzag stitch might seem a strange way to finish a seam, but when it gathers in on itself, it's not noticeable.
Hems are a whole other story and difficult at best with lycra. I would strongly suggest if you're going to be sewing with lycra alot, to purchase an even-feed foot for your sewing machine. The lycra must be fed through evenly and without stretching or you will end up with a wavy hemline (done that lots!!). Lycra doesn't fray, so you only need to turn it under once. If you have a serger, you can serge the entire hemline with a short stitch length and then use the serging as a guide for turning under. The serging helps to stabilize the stretch as you hem, too.
Hope this helps Peggy. I've sewed tons of lycra dance dresses and love the way they flow.

Di
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  07:17:14 AM  Show Profile
make sure your feed dogs dont damage your fabric also..you may want to use tissue paper to help with that

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic hemming stretch fabric Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page