Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Crab cakes Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  08:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Does anyone have a tried and true Crab or Salmon cake recipe? Sauce to go on top? Or soup/chowder recipe? I have to use canned as in Wisconsin you can not get good fresh crab or Salmon without paying a lot. I would like to make them for dinner tonight. Thanks.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  08:25:03 AM  Show Profile
Even out here where Salmon and Crab are king the prices are out of this world. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  08:30:43 AM  Show Profile
If I can find it there is a great crab cake recipe from The Frog and The Redneck (a Richmond VA restaurant). They were perfect... not too much filler and not too many spices to overtake the taste of the crab.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  08:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Thank you Peanut. That would be wonderful

Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  09:25:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi!

I love salmon cakes!!!!! And I always use canned - they can the fish right off (or sometimes on) the boat, it's the best flavor anywhere except if you buy wild flash frozen in season (and that's lovely for a fancy dinner, but if you are just gonna chop it up for cakes? Canned is best!). I get mine at Trader Joe's, but I know that's not a nationwide store. They have amazing prices for very high quality product if you do have them in your area though.

Here's my recipe (well, it's adapted from Recipes From Home by David Page and Barbara Shinn):

Cakes:
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup minced celery
1/4 cup minced red bell pepper (out of season right now, and nearly as expensive as the salmon!)
2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoonslemon juice
2 tablespoons minced chives
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
2 teaspoons hot sauce (Tabasco-type)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup bread crumbs or matza meal
2 lbs poached or canned salmon

Coating:
1/2 cup flour
2 large eggs
1 cup bread crumbs or matza meal

3 tablespoons oil for frying or more as needed.

Flake salmon into a bowl, removing bones as desired if using canned.

To make cakes:
Melt butter and saute onions, celery and peppers until soft, about 5 minutes. Refrigerate about 10 minutes until cool enough to handle. Whisk together egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice, chives, Worcestershire, Tabasco, cayenne and salt. Add flaked salmon and cooked vegetables and gently stir until mixed.

Shape into 14 cakes. Place on wax paper on a cookie sheet and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (you can prepare cakes up to this point when convenient, then fry just before dinner). To coat, dust cakes with flour, dip into eggs, then into bread crumbs or matza. Fry in oil over medium heat, about 3 minutes on each side until golden. Serve hot.

Best,

Robin

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  1:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Betty Jo - I submitted this crabcake recipe in the Farmgirl Connection cookbook last year:

Smith Island Crabcakes

2 eggs
1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
2 heaping Tbsp. Mayonnaise
1 tsp. mustard
1 ½ slices white bread, toasted and blended into crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. Lump or Backfin crabmeat
1 cup Pepperidge Farm seasoned stuffing

Break eggs wide shallow pan and froth with wire whisk, add remaining ingredients except crabmeat, and whisk until you have a really smooth mixture.

The next part is tricky, because you need to handle the crabmeat as lightly and as little as possible to avoid shredding. Slowly add crabmeat and stir with your hands until just blended. Shape into patties.

Crush Pepperidge Farm dry seasoned stuffing mix into crumbs and coat both sides of each crabcake and fry in 1 ½ inches of hot oil or butter until golden brown.

JoAnne’s variations:

• I also make these up in summertime and instead of shaping into patties, I fill muffin pans and cover with saran wrap and place in freezer for a couple of hours until set. Turn muffin pan over and crabcakes will drop out as they begin to thaw. Wrap each crabcake individually in saran wrap, package 4 to a ziplok and store in freezer. Thaw and blot on paper towels before frying.
• Use smaller sized cakes as hors’ doeuvres.

I also (when I am feeling extra fancy) make up the Remoulade Sauce to go with them.

Remoulade Sauce

Makes 1 ¾ cups; toss over celery root, cold poached lobster or crabcakes.

1 egg yolk
2 TBSP. Dijon mustard
2 TBSP. whole-grain mustard
1 TBSP. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. white wine vinegar
2 TBSP. chopped cornichons (French baby gherkins)
2 TBSP. chopped capers, drained
1 TBSP. chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1 TBSP. chopped fresh parsley
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp. salt
Dash of Tabasco sauce
1 cup corn oil
2 TBSP. whole capers, drained

1) Combine yolk, mustards, lemon juice and vinegar in food processor; process for 30 seconds.
2) Add cornichons, chopped capers, tarragon, parsley, pepper, salt and Tabasco; process for 30 seconds.
3) With motor running, slowly add the oil through feed tube; process until thick.
4) Transfer sauce to a bowl and fold in the whole capers. Cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Keeps about 6 hours in refrigerator.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  1:53:38 PM  Show Profile
Now this is gonna sound dumb - I didn't even know they made canned crab. Is it with the tuna and salmon at the grocery store?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  12:44:22 AM  Show Profile
Sherri,
they have it at Costco
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  6:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Piggly Wiggly, Pick and Save and Roundy stores have it here. Thank you Jo the sauce was awesome. Did some substituting But still awesome.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Crab cakes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page