Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 book that made an impression on you
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic book that made an impression on you Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  10:44:57 PM  Show Profile
o.k. .. here's another one .. what BOOK have you read that made an IMPRESSION on you? and tell us what/why. xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  06:26:30 AM  Show Profile
I can't think of any that made a LASTING impression on me. If I read one I like, it usually changes me for a little while, but then the effect wears off and I'm "me" again.
Maybe the "Little House on the Prairie" books - they shaped my whole childhood. Any situation I was in could be made better by imagining I was Laura in the "olden days." I still reread those books about once a year, believe it or now!
This question reminds me of a little boy in one of the classes I student-taught in years ago. He liked to read biographies of famous women and, for a little while afterward, he would "become" the woman he read about. His teacher explained it to me when I asked about his odd behavior. "The week he was Helen Keller almost killed me, " she said.
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  07:47:04 AM  Show Profile
two books: gone with the wind, that i read when i was in (i think) 6th grade. originally coming from new jersey, it gave me a whole different perspective on the south and the civil war. and a book i read a few months ago; the glass castle ( forget who it's by) a book by and about a girl who grew up with nothing materialistic, but had a lot going for her in creativity and survival. it made me think about how sheltered i was growing up.....still am.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  07:48:11 AM  Show Profile
jessie .. what a wonderfully unique little kid!!! i bet he was fun to know!

i love the janice holt giles books .. (she writes mostly of earlier times in rural kentucky) helps me understand the 'ways' of kentucky women who were born and bred in the hinterlands .. and why their children's children have the belief systems that they do. books like hers (about any culture) teach you 'tolerance' through education. although, i do believe that if your 'heart isn't right' .. all the education in the world won't teach a person tolerance for those that are different.

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  09:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
From my childhood THE GIVER.... still with me

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  09:51:51 AM  Show Profile
Oooh...The Giver. I read that in college as part of a adolescent literature survey course. Too dark for me. Kind of freaked me out.
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  09:56:20 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the Little House books and with Gone with the Wind.

I'll also add To Kill a Mockingbird.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  10:07:20 AM  Show Profile
Watership Down, I think all kids, especially boys should read it when they are 10 or so.

The Education of Little Tree, even though a KKK guy wrote it, and Oprah has banned it from the universe, I cried when the author explained the Grandparents love and understanding of eachother. It was beautiful.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  10:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Really I thought it was matter of fact, the giver, because it just made sense to me. You don't want the world to be the same. God made differences for a reason. The Mitford series are a cherished one because it reminds me of my home town. I loved 1984 too. Now that is dark but has a good point. I'll keep thinking.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  10:23:00 AM  Show Profile
Catcher in the Rye made an impression on me too, but not a good one. I thought Holden Caulfield was a whiny brat. And J.D. Salinger is a self-important ... well you know.

Ooohh... my teacher did NOT like me disliking this book! :D

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  10:41:14 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to add, To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. For me, it is about how women carry the burdens of their men's self doubts.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  12:09:14 PM  Show Profile
Books from childhood: Julie of the Wolves & Island of the Blue Dolphins. Both must have had a significant impact on how I would choose to live. (I'm with you on Catcher in the Rye, Jennifer).

Most recently? Hmmm.....Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is definitely affecting my garden planning this year!

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  12:27:04 PM  Show Profile
For me it is THE BIBLE
Yea, I know you probably weren't thinking about anyone saying that; this book left impression on me
But, it has.
I have always had the Bible read to me as a young child; or starting reading The Bible to myself when I could read it alone.
I have know Jesus just like I know a member of my own family.
I know more probably about Jesus than some of my family in fact
I love the promises He has given me
I love the Psalms where I go to to get help in troubled times
I go to find instructions for my life
also, the assurance that Jesus is always with me and promised He will never leave me or forsaken me.
I know where I am headed after I leave this world
And The Bible assures me that Jesus is with me even when -- I walk through the shadow of Death.
This is the only Book I have that has really left an impression on my life and still is today.
No matter if I don't read everyday,
I go there and find something fresh.
The Bible for me has never grown old or gone out of style
It will be with me for the rest of my life; and to the end of my life
and beyond. Pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  1:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Any book by Glady's Taber. I started reading them when I was about 11 and it was exactly how I wanted to live. Plus, she lived in CT like me, so I was excited!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  2:02:02 PM  Show Profile
Books are my love. I was so happy to see you like Gladys Taber books too Heather! I love them. I also love the books on Tasha Tudors life. Now there is a lady who really lives the natural way and certainly marches to her own drummer. I adore the way she lives. She says when she dies she is going right back to the 1870's! Another book that I really liked and made a good impression on me was Simple Abundance, A Day Book of Comfort and Joy by Sarah Ban Breathnach. I loved the Little House on the Prairie books too. As a child I read Thorton Burgess books, have any of you ever heard of him? It is the most wonderful set of animal books. He wrote about them like they were people of thr forest and meadow. I just adore them, want to know a secret? I still have them and get them out once in awhile and read them! They just make you feel so good. Enough, I could go on and on!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

MulberryMama
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jill
Prospect Heights IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  2:03:21 PM  Show Profile
I grew up in Wisconsin, so Little House in the Big Woods got me started with the Little House series, a real favorite in my childhood.

But my all time favorite, and one I return to whenever I need reassurances about the choice and power of human will, is John Steinbeck's "East of Eden." Each time I pick it up again, it is like visiting old friends, even with all their flaws.

I wasn't born in a barn, but I was raised in one.
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  2:41:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness - how could I forget the ultimate "back to nature & simplicity" author?

Henry David Thoreau

I read Walden in high school and it touched me deeply. It really changed the way I looked at the world.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  5:34:59 PM  Show Profile
A book that comes to mind is "The Raggamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning. Mr. Manning understands grace. He has lived it many times over. A few years ago our oldest son sent hubby & I on an anniversary weekend to hear Mr. Manning speak. He was an amazing gentle, humble man. Very quiet & softspoken. He has published a number of books, all wonderful inspiring reads.

Of course the Bible. I am a firm beliver that if you read & study the Bible it will transform your life. It certainly has mine.

In a completely different direction...I have always loved Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. The drama & pure passion of the story makes my heart beat faster. I love the scene where Catherine is speaking to cook in the kitchen at Wuthering Heights. The cook suggests Catherine should forget Heathcliff and her reply is unforgettable. She states that she cannot... she replys passionately "I AM Heathcliff"... Need I say more?

Neat topic Frannie...I am lovin' ALL your replys!

Rhonda

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

http://www.kattywhompus.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  10:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
My favorite book as a child was called "Andrew Henry's Meadow" I still have it. It's a wonderful story about being different from everyone else! My other favorite was "Little Women".

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  11:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I cannot remember the name of the book that sparked my love of the written word, but I can vividly recall and book and they day I was given it. According to the inscription in the cover of the book, I wasn't quite 3 when the book was presented to me by a man all of us MacKrell grandkids knew as Uncle Cookie. Uncle Cookie had been my late grandfathers bestfriend for years and having no family of his own, took on grandpa's clan, becoming "Uncle" to two generations of children. He loved the written word and often gave books as gifts. One fall when we were visiting him, he gave me a thin, green book of childrens poems. The volume was beautifuly illustrated and had poems from Christina Rosetti, Robert Lewis Stevenson, Emily Dickinson, and more. Everytime I sit down to write and am happy with the words on my paper, I think of Uncle Cookie and wish he could have read the results of a book he gave to a little niece.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  1:27:42 PM  Show Profile
Huckleberry Finn
MaryJane's IdeaBook, CookBook, LifeBook (obviously!!)
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  4:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I forgot the Harmony series by Philip Gulley, and his works of nonfiction. He's a great writer...very funny and profound in a non-preachy kind of way.
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  8:47:35 PM  Show Profile
Besides the Bible I would have to say The Purpose Driven Life. It is my favorite book by far!

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  9:34:05 PM  Show Profile
I always loved the Anne books by Montgomery. LOVED them :)

But growing up, I have to say the book(s) that had the most influence on me were the ones I read about Helen Keller and Teacher. I grabbed up anything and everything about them from the libraries in town :)

Farmgirl Sister #117

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic book that made an impression on you Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page