ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  03:50:07 AM  Show Profile
It's cool and overcast today. I'm going to make garden soup. I'll pull carrots and a baby turnip or two, cut bok choi and tatsoi, pick cherry tomatoes, patty pan squash and wax beans. The patty pan will be sauteed with onion and garlic and a little chicken before it's added to the soup pot. I'll add fresh chives and oregano, two bay leaves, fresh ground pepper and sea salt.

It's also bread weather. I'll make oatmeal bread or rolls to go with the soup. I love cool days like this.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  04:21:19 AM  Show Profile
I love those cool days after it's been so blasted hot!Your soup sounds good, do you make it with a chicken stock? One of my first fall soups is always Potato Leek, quickly folllowed by Garden Veggie and the no fail soccer night Crock Pot Beef Stew. I like to make a nice crusty loaf of Cuban bread to eat with the stew,if I've got time.
Fall is my favorite season and I love everything about it, even ALL the soccer!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  04:25:21 AM  Show Profile
ever used the turnip tops for your greens? i make gumbo z'herbes with them.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  05:56:08 AM  Show Profile
I love turnip tops in soup!! I wish I had planted turnips this year! Beets too...my favs!
Gumbo sounds good too!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  06:41:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh, how I envy you for the cool temperatures (now I do, but not in winter!We still have heat indeces here, up in the three digits!
The only "soup" that would go for us at this time would be Gazpacho. But we don't have cucumbers!
Have you ever heard of excessive heat turning cucumbers bitter? I figured that could be what happened to ours. They were fine, grew well, got everything the bunches before them got, and when I picked them they were so bitter through and through that you couldn't get the taste out of your mouth for hours!
They only thing different that I could think of was the heat, very early and all the time, not even really cooling off at night! Have you had experience with that? Or does anyone know other reasons why cucumbers turn bitter? (it was, by the way three different species!)
So, no Gazpacho for me, either.... When it gets cooler, I like to make what I call "Slivered French Bean Soup". I take fresh green beans, sliver them. Then fry a little cubed Canadian Bacon and diced onions, add the beans, stir fry for a while, then add stock and lots of herbs (whatever I have, but preferably majoram, oregano, borage), and, if I want to make it a whole meal, add cubed potatoes and cook it until it is the tenderness I like. I "bind" it with a little flour mixed into a few tablespoons of sour cream. Top it with grated cheese if I have a small chunk left over. Delicious! And it freezes excellently, so I always have a stack of single portions in the freezer for the times when the craving hits!

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  06:49:03 AM  Show Profile
My family thinks I make the best Clam Chowder in the world and I live near the ocean so that's saying something, if anybody is interested I will post my recipe, it's a very easy one!!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile
Klara- That sounds delicious! I never thought of green bean soup but now you've got me itching to make it! Sounds like my guys (who are not green bean fans) might just find them palatable after all, thanks!

Larenya- Please post your recipe ( got to across the fence and you will find "Recipes We Love to Share) We LOVE recipes! Thanks to you too!
with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Aug 24 2005 06:59:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  09:59:06 AM  Show Profile
That sounds delightful, Robin. Do you make your own soup stocks? I have frozen chicken and vegetable broth in my freezer now.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  10:47:42 AM  Show Profile
Ok, what is tatsoi???

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  3:27:36 PM  Show Profile
We finally had a few cool days too last week. I made a vegetable beef soup and bought a sesame seed italian loaf from Wild Oats, an organic supermarket. It was so good. I think I could eat soup everyday and never tire of it.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  5:02:20 PM  Show Profile
It was a cooler night last night so I did a lasagnia, and then I also cut up and boiled a bumch of apple chunks and cinnamon to make apple pie filling, then I also mixed a little of it with some vanilla yogurt to make some creamy apple sauce type baby food.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  5:44:39 PM  Show Profile
We're supposed to have rain and a high of 65 on Sunday -- that may be a very good soup day!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  5:56:08 PM  Show Profile
I want the chowder recipe!

I could taste the bacon on my beans! Do you use veg stock? Add me some cornbread for a pusher and I'm cleaning that bowl out!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  6:16:37 PM  Show Profile
My Granny used to say if you peeled the cuke from the flower back to you it would take away the burp/bitter stuff. In my experiments Granny, may she rest in peace, I love you too, was voodoo peeling.Anytime we get the bitter end is when we put em in stress.Been dry?
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  6:27:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kim

Ok, what is tatsoi???

Tatsoi is an Asian green. I started growing it on the recommendation of a friend and will always grow it now. It's good in soups, salads, stir fries and wraps.

quote:
Originally posted by ivmeer

That sounds delightful, Robin. Do you make your own soup stocks? I have frozen chicken and vegetable broth in my freezer now.

Definitely. I make almost everything from scratch. I buy things like pasta from the store but not much else when it comes to cooking.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  07:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Ellen, I posted the chowder recipe in across the fence/recipes,,,it is so good
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  08:00:31 AM  Show Profile
You all are making me drool on my keyboard!!
Klara, I think the cucumbers could very well turn bitter from the heat; I love gazpacho so much that I would maybe try making it without the cucumbers?
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  7:37:46 PM  Show Profile
I was just given a huge cabbage. I plan on making some cabbage patch soup for me and my Mom this week-end when she comes to visit. MMMMM

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  10:01:45 AM  Show Profile
I wanted to add something to the "tatsoi" thing: I have never had it, but imagine it simmilar to some asian green we tried for the first time this past spring: it's called "Mibuna" (aka. Mitsuna). It looks a little bit like mustard greens when it first comes out, but has smoother leaves. It can be cut really early or you can let it grow and it forms "heads". I used it for just about anything: salad, soups, stews, stewed with onions, stir-fryed....whatever you can imagine. It grows fast and even in our Texas heat it keeps going when everything else is surrendering to the sun! I will grow it each season now. The only caveat: it's easy to overcook it and then becomes somewhat unatractive, so add it late to dishes.

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Soup! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page