Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  5:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have been shoveling snow while Nora took a little cat nap. After having a snow debacle earlier today where my car "kissed" the bumber of my neighbor's truck, I decided enough was enough.

All the cars have compacted the snow that has fallen and the snow bank that the snow plow so kindly throws at our cars. So I have been shoveling and scraping at a layer of snow and then 6 inches of ice below that! I have a huge snow canyon where our sidewalk is and tomorrow I am going to shovel the one side all the way over to our grass area. That way if we have to we can park on the sidewalk! :D

I finally broke through to the pavement. I have 2 foot by 3 foot cleared area. Tomorrow I am going to buy de-icer and use that to help weaken the ice. As soon as Nora goes down for the night I am going to work on it some more since we have a street lamp right across from where I need to work.

I wish there was some way to run an extension cord out there so I could plug in our room heater. I bet that would help! If only I could get the pavement warmed up a little it would help so much!

Maybe I should just go buy a bunch of sand so I would have traction, but at this point I want to get it cleared since we are supposed to have snow for the next week.

Wish me luck!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  6:01:24 PM  Show Profile
Wishing you luck Alee. We are doing much the same.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  6:57:18 PM  Show Profile
Alee-
Good to know that I am not the only one shoveling my way out during nap time (wish I were sleeping!). Thankfully the plows are FANTASTIC on our street once they get here and never block us in but shoveling our gravel driveway is a total JOKE!!!
Get a good nights rest;)
Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  7:01:34 PM  Show Profile
i hear tell that snow is heading our way too! i'm gonna' sit and sew! YOU .. go lay down and take a nap with that little princess! xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  7:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Tonight I am going to write in my gratitude diary " I am grateful that I have never had to shovel snow".lol Sounds like hard work, good luck Alee.

Friends are the best collectables.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  7:15:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm not trying to rub it in.....but I wish some of that snow would come this way. It's been a boring winter here so far!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  7:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Sorry Alee! This may seem weird, but I like shoveling snow. Especially when I had cranky babies! I would strap them on in the sling and put a radio on and just Swing. Rocked them to sleep and got some exercise in the works.

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  7:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Just to give you ladies a little perspective on how hard Alee is working - my son has a second job in Wyoming shoveling snow and he gets $25 an hour for it.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  9:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I so need to get hired to shovel snow! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  10:12:28 PM  Show Profile
Alee help is on the way , they went out today now you will get your rest, SWEET DREAMS LITTLE ONE

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  10:50:24 PM  Show Profile
Ahhhh Alee,
We so understand. Dh and I are taking turns with shoveling. For not having a huge place there sure is lots and lots of snow to shovel. WE have been throwing the snow in the back of our pick up cause there is no where else to put it!!!!!!
Yep, round 3 is on its way. Make sure you take care of those muscles in this cold weather girl!!!

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  11:10:49 PM  Show Profile
We are in snow shoveling mode here too.....and more coming down tonight. My DH will be on duty doing snow removal at 3:30 a.m. Yikes. I am glad I will be doing the front walk instead!! Our road is snowpacked right now...and slick as snot! Take care of yourself!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  11:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Judy you can gladly have our snow!!!! and of course the three days of no school, kids are starting to get a weeee bit bored.

i had to shovel the drive out tonight cause my dh got stuck earlier, i shoveled twice as far as normal cause for some reason the person who plowed missed a large section of the road so i had to get to were the road is atleast driveable. that and i didnt want him getting high centered cause the snow showed that is what got him stuck earlier. oh yeah and not to mention if for some reason we have to make it to the hospital i dont want to be stuck in the car waiting for him to dig out the car.

alee good luck on finding de-icer most places dont have a lot for snow supplies and not to mention that wal-mart has already stopped carrying it for the year(its still winter, i mean come on)

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  12:57:21 AM  Show Profile
we aren't shoveling snow here in oklahoma yet... but it looks like some is headed our way. i just don't want a repeat of our recent ice storm..

visit me at my blog
mousiesmom.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  06:19:00 AM  Show Profile
You girls are hard-core! I have a big snowblower - a gift from my dad, a lifelong Michigander. I can have the whole street done in half an hour.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  07:04:02 AM  Show Profile
I was excited when we first got this "true winter" as this is how it was when I grew up. It seems we have had so many mild winters for years now . . . the whole global warming thing. But now, as time goes on, the snow is starting to lose its magic. My husband is a paramedic and has been working tons of hours because of all the accidents and elderly people taking falls. It would at least be great if he got overtime, but he is a supervisor, which means salary not hourly, so all this for nothing extra. My boys have at least done some of the shoveling. Some of our snow piles are over 6 feet tall! The most frustrating is at our little shop. I spent $90.00 to put down traction sand so that customers won't slip. Now I have to pay $45.00 for a plow and I am sure I will need to redo the traction sand. And of course more snow is coming. Oh well! This moisture is so needed, to keep forest fires at bay next summer. And our farmers should be so happy. And, I have to admit, there still is something so peaceful and beautiful about snow.

Hugs & blessings!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tired...oh so tired Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page