willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  3:49:34 PM  Show Profile
I sold an item on ebay about three weeks ago. The person paid right away and I was satisfied. I mailed the items and they were recieved. I got an email from the buyer thanking me for the items, telling me they left positive feedback, and asking that I did the same. At the time I was unable to leave feedback so I figured I would just do it later. Well you know how things go and I got busy and didnt get around to it. In the last 2weeks I have received several emails from this person saying they were "nice enough" to give me positive feedback and I should "feel obligated" to do the same. I fully intended to leave feedback but I feel like this is bordering on harrassment. What would you do?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  4:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
hm try to overlook their behavior and just do it like now. I know but I think just sucking it up is best.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  4:22:03 PM  Show Profile
I've been dealing with "high maintenance" people on Ebay lately and all I can say is... I feel for you.

No one says you have to leave a glowing feedback. A perfunctory positive will do.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  4:27:13 PM  Show Profile
You're not "obligated" to leave feedback at all. If you feel strongly about it, maybe leave positive feedback but for a comment leave something like, "Buyer paid promptly but then pestered me so much about leaving feedback the overall experience was soured." I have very little patience for people like that (reason #678 why I quit using eBay...).
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  4:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Well,I don't know, this is definitely a mixed bag. I've used Ebay and it's usually the other way around, I've gotten little notes with some of the products with the owners basically VERY politely insinuating that I should leave good feedback, asap, if I liked the item and service. I usually do this since I figure their business depends on great feedback than mine, since I'm not a seller.

However, your the seller, and so unless this guy (girl) has some kind of ulterior motive, well, it's definitely strange.

At the same time, I don't know that a small email mentioning that "you don't have to leave feedback" is a good idea, it will just agitate this person, if they aren't already...it probably might make it worse?

I think I would also suck it up, give the feedback, and hope this person never purchases again from you.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:

www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com

www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  5:02:57 PM  Show Profile
My mom has had people pester her like this. Instead of leaving a glowing review just put "PAID". It will get the point across that they paid but nothing more!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  5:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have the same problem when I by my used textbooks from Amazon and the seller wants feedback. Honestly, I just don't have time. I wish when you buy or sell something, there could be a button choice that lets you waive the choice to leave a comment or not.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  5:45:21 PM  Show Profile
I have bought at least 200 items on ebay, but only have 88 feedbacks. It is annoying when people don't leave feedback when I pay immediately, always. It means that you don't get more $$ when you sell an item, because people are sometimes unsure to bid if your feedback is low, even if it is 100% I only send 1 email after a week or so of leaving feedback. It makes a difference because I won't buy again from that seller.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  7:06:46 PM  Show Profile
I've bought many items on eBay, and on occasion, I'll wait a long time for my feedback (as a buyer, I don't sell). Sometimes it takes a few months until the seller remembers to give feedback. It annoys me, but I've never emailed them....just let it go. If I get one, fine, if not...well, at least it's not a negative. I bought an item once and the packing was so bad, that it broke through the box and partially stuck out when I got it. Luckily, there was no damage, but I emailed the seller and complained and left a neutral feedback as "worst packing ever". I know, I should have left negative. Wouldn't you know that the seller gave me a neutral saying "I was too picky". You do get retaliatory feedbacks at times....like a stand off. If the experience was bad, the seller or buyer will wait until someone makes the first move.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  7:52:02 PM  Show Profile
the thing is I dont feel like I am obligated to leave feedback in ANY case. I dont sell or buy on ebay very often. I think this buyer deserved feedback until I started getting these emails. This is a direct quote from the email I got today "I left you positive feedback the day I received your package. I have been waiting and have still not received feedback from you. As a seller you should feel obligated to leave positive feedback for buyers who pay on time. Please log on and leave me positive feedback"
I just dont get why it is such a big deal. Maybe I am old fashioned but this just seems rude and pushy to me.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  05:29:40 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I would do what Jessie said. I understand that feedback is an important part of ebay buying and selling, but I think the buyer in this case has crossed the line and is being rude and demanding. For some reason, people sometimes behave in ways that they never would face-to-face because they feel protected by the internet. I doubt this person would ever demand such a thing to your face.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  05:40:27 AM  Show Profile
If someone does leave negative feedback in reponse to yours simply use the "reply" function and say:

*This is retaliatory feedback.*

This will show up when people view your feedback.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9365 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9365 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  07:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Having been both buyer and seller on ebay, I believe the right thing to do would be to leave positive feedback as soon as you can. Even thought they are the buyer they still want feedback. As a seller I do not leave feedback until I have received the payment. As the buyer I always pay quickly and do not leave feedback until the seller has. Since they receive my payment before I receive the item.
You should just ignore the emails and leave them feedback. I understand we are not obligated to do so but it is the right thing to do.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9365 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9365 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  07:02:40 AM  Show Profile
Having been both buyer and seller on ebay, I believe the right thing to do would be to leave positive feedback as soon as you can. Even thought they are the buyer they still want feedback. As a seller I do not leave feedback until I have received the payment. As the buyer I always pay quickly and do not leave feedback until the seller has. Since they receive my payment before I receive the item.
You should just ignore the emails and leave them feedback. I understand we are not obligated to do so but it is the right thing to do.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  07:05:44 AM  Show Profile
i have only one negative but it was sour grapes from a seller. I have left negative feedback though and it has been well deserved. I have had one person in the last few months pester me and I contacted ebay and the user is not longer a registered user. If it gets to be too bad, ebay will ban them, ISP and all.

We are buying a ton on ebay right now with our business start up and I simply dont have the time to sit right now to do them as soon as the item gets here, so it might be a week or so...but then I also have purchases I made a month or more ago that I have yet to receive feedback for and I HAVE left feedback. It's no big thing and I think that people take their rating a little too seriously sometimes....

[size=1]
~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  08:07:43 AM  Show Profile
Have you heard that ebay is going to change their policy about feedback? Sellers can no longer leave negative feedback about buyers. My husband sells some things on ebay, and he's really upset about the change, since buyers will still be able to leave negative feedback about him. He's had some very petty buyers leave negative feedback about things that he told them upfront and they agreed on (like shipping prices, or item damage that he pointed out in his pictures). He always checks the buyer's feedback before he does any kind of negotiating with them if they ask him to do something special for them.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What would you do? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page