Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 recipe for herbal goat wormer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic recipe for herbal goat wormer Next Topic
Page: of 2

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  12:26:49 PM  Show Profile
I have been using Molly's Herbal wormer and Hoegger for the past few years and would like to make my own. Does anyone have a herbal wormer recipe for dairy goats that they would like to share. I would like to use powdered or chopped herbs..not tinctures. I know what the ingredients in Molly's is and Hoeggers but not how much. I don't want to make my animals sick.
I have spent the past 2 days doing searches on the internet for a recipe and could not find a one. Must be a guarded secret. Anyway if anyone could help I would super duper appreciate it. Thanks.
Linda

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:37:16 PM  Show Profile
I would be interested in this also. Right now I use diatomateous earth. It's hard to tell if it's working, though. And when it's windy, most of it seems to blow away!
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  7:31:06 PM  Show Profile
how do you use DE powder as a dewormer? I would use it for my chickens and goats!

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Farmgirl sister # 34
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  10:01:04 PM  Show Profile
I just mix it in with their feed. It's easier with the goat feed. The molasses makes it stick. I am still working on making it work with my chickens and ducks.
Go to Top of Page

doublebow
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

michelle
springtown tx
37 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  07:49:55 AM  Show Profile
I've been wanting to do the same thing but can't find a recipe. I also use Molly's herbs. I also use a copper/dolomite/vit.c blend per Pat Coleby from acres USA. That works good ,too, especially for making the transition from chemicals to herbs. I'm so glad to find others who want to use natural stuff on their animals. I've encountered some people lately who act like we who use herbs are a bunch of backwoods goofballs.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  8:37:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey Michelle,
I also have been trying some of Pat Coleby's recipes. I put out the mineral mixture but still keep out the goat minerals too. I started doing this last year. But am still fighting the baber pole worm something fierce and have had to resort to ivomec. I started using Molly's.......I use to use Hoeggers and thought I would give hers a try. I will find out how much this is all working come spring when the worms really start to become a problem.
But I would really like a recipe to make my own with the dried herbs and not the tictures or teas. I tried again yesterday doing searches and nothing so far. Its a guarded secret for sure. If I find the recipe I will share it with the world...lol !!!
I am curious what you have tried from her book and on what condition or problem and what your results were. I am all ears for this. If you have time would love to hear.
Linda

Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  09:21:27 AM  Show Profile
All scientific tests regarding DE have shown it not to work from what I've read.

I'd avoid garlic as a dewormer as it's a very slow drain on the iron levels. Tests in sheep show that over time it creates anemia. I suspect it would be the same in goats. As someone who's been suffering the past few years of anemia, I can tell you a slow drain can be more dangerous than a sudden drop because you don't know until it's too late (or almost too late) because your body adapts to the loss.

The best thing to do for your animals is rotate, rotate, rotate in pastures. If you've got four pastures, rotate every week and clean up all you can when they move from one to the next. That'll increase your grazing as well.

I know we all want to do things as naturally as possible, but sometimes it's safer for our animals when we use a drug that's tried and true

Mesteno Wild Horse Photogrpahy
http://mesteno.blogspot.com

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  6:22:43 PM  Show Profile
In Backwoods home magazine I read that tobacco leaves can be used as a dewormer. I did some more research and tried it on our lambs, but I couldn't tell if it did anything.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  04:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
When my dad ran sheep, he used tobacco as a dewormer and a delouser. I used it on my chickens, but never tried it on my goats (I like my milk tasting sweet and rich thankyou very much). When ever it was time to deworm the chickens, I would put out a strong tobacco tea instead of water durring the morning, giving them water in the afternoon. After about three days of this I would see a change in their stools and know it was working. BTW...I eventualy got rid of the chickens because they are so bad with parasites. They spread them everywhere when you let them free range. My goats needed dewormed significantly less once I got rid of the chickens.

I also used ducks as a natural parasite control. Ducks LOVE to gobble up parasite larva and they compleatly digest and kill it. As for worming my ducks, they ate out of the same bowl as the goats so they got it that way. NC is a very damp climate and parasites go wild, so staying on top of them was a constant job. I rotated my goats constantly, using cattle panels durring the day and the two barn lots at night. I sprinkled de around the watering buckets and in the bedding. I scooped any soiled bedding out first thing in the morning. Still, because of the climate, I was unable to controll the parasites with herbal wormer, so I roatated it with ivermctin (which is organicaly aproved). I think you girls living like in TX or another dry climate would have no problem controlling the problem with herbs, but in a damp climate unnatural to goats things may need to handled a bit diffrent.

Good luck to all of you. I wish I still had these issues! Love up all those goat babies coming this time of year for me.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  07:34:24 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, the only way you're going to be able to tell is if you have a fecal flotation done, worm them with your tobacco, then have another test run to see if you're cleared out the parasites. Otherwise, you may just be feeding them tobacco

I'm also wondering if the nicotine is good for our animals?

Mesteno Wild Horse Photogrpahy
http://mesteno.blogspot.com

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  10:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Nicotine is added to the tobacco. I use the "old man" tobacco that is nothing but cured tobacco leaf.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  11:55:39 AM  Show Profile
FYI...

"FAMACHA is a new system designed to control the parasite Haemonchus Contortus (also known as red stomach worm, wire worm or Barber's pole worm) in sheep and goats. This parasite is one of the most problematic among small ruminants. It is an intestinal parasite that survives by sucking the blood of its host. The parasite actually lives in the abomasums of sheep and goats, also known as the true stomach. The parasite sucks large amounts of blood and the result is a severely anemic animal that most frequently dies. The FAMACHA system was developed in South Africa by Francois Malan. There is a huge problem with worm control in South Africa in the meat goat industry, and the FAMACHA system was developed as a means of controlling Haemonchus Contortus in small ruminants.

"As in controlling any parasite, resistance to dewormers is a huge problem when treating Haemonchus. It is this problem that hinders the ability of many sheep and goat producers to be successful in their industry. Instead of treating every animal in the herd or flock, FAMACHA allows the producer only to treat the animals that truly need to be treated for Haemonchus Contortus. This aids in lowering the resistance among the flock to the dewormers that inevitably occurs when animals are wormed on a regular basis."

Learn more on these sites:
http://www.theikga.org/famacha_evaluation.htm
http://www.scsrpc.org/FAMACHA/InfoGuide.shtml

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  2:46:58 PM  Show Profile
My husband grew tobacco plants for the novelty of it last year. Every once in a while I would feed our sheep a big ol' green leaf. So, basically I was just feeding them tobacco.
We ate the lambs though, so it doesn't matter much now.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  6:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Love all the imput from all of you. I have read and researched different areas and am always up for new ideas. The baberpole worm seems to be the worst problem for me. I have used Molly's and Hoeggers the past 2 years. But have also had to use the ivomec when I would notice pale eyelids. I didn't know ivomec was approved for organic.Where did you find this info out Corrine ?? That would be so cool. I would love to read the information on this. The info the vet told me was the milk withdrawel was 30 to 60 days. That is why I only use it if I have to. I have used the safeguard too but it doesn't seem to be working any more.I think I may grow some tobacco in my garden this year......it sure couldn't hurt.
Thanks for the info....Linda

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  07:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/index.htm This woman has great info. on raising goats naturaly. I checked it out against the knowledge of my vet friend and she is right on.

http://www.mosesorganic.org/factsheets/sheep-goatdairy.html also this one...officaly the ivermectin makes the milk "non-organic". sorry.

-Brenda Ueland

Edited by - BarefootGoatGirl on Feb 08 2008 07:31:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

doublebow
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

michelle
springtown tx
37 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  5:29:45 PM  Show Profile
Definitely use a fecal test no matter what wormer you use, so you'll know if it is working.
I'm really sorry about the barber pole worms and I hope you can find something that works. Have you tried the stuff from Molly's Herbal for a week or more straight? From what I understand you can use Formula #2 pretty extensively without bad side effects because it's not as harsh as Formula #1
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  9:14:52 PM  Show Profile
I have been using Molly's Herbal wormer and before that Hoeggers. I still have to resort to ivomec on many occasions. I have my own microscope and do floatations about once a month. I also have a parasite identification book plus help from my vet. I just was hoping someone might have a recipe for making a wormer like Molly's. I have quite a few goats and the cost is way up there. Plus the ivomec and other wormers I buy. I was hopeing to mix up something similiar to hers with bulk herbs. I know what kind she uses just not how much to use. Don't want to hurt my girls. THanks for the info.
Linda

Go to Top of Page

thegoatlady84
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Robyn
Breton Alberta
Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  10:28:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi there I have a recipe for a herbal dewormer

1 cup Dry mustard seed powder
2 cups Thyme leaf cut
1 cup Black walnut hull powder
2 cups Sage leaf chopped
1 cup Garlic minced
2 cups Rosemary leaf chopped
1/2 cup cloves choped
1 cup Psyllium seed powder
2 cups Diatomaceous Earth

Drictions
Sprinkle the Mixture on the feed morning and evening for 7 das stright. A mature goat gets 1 talbspoon use slightly less for kids.

I hope this helps I also have another recipe that make a small batch.

ROck'n M Nubians
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  10:04:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi goatlady,
thanks for the recipe. Its a bit different from the Molly's Herbal and Hoeggers Herbal but am interested. How does this work for you ? I know you are in Canada and don't know if you parasite problems are as bad as they are where I live in southern ohio.
Do you use dried garlic or fresh in this recipe? Anyway was curious when you have a worm count done how it was turning out. Thanks for the recipe !!
Linda

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  10:14:21 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know when you check for worms under the microscope what the numbers of safe to infested range are? For example if you count 20 eggs on a slide is that considered low and say 40 eggs or more high. I wasn't sure what numbers were considered high or low. Would love to know what th egg counts are considered bad and which count is more on the safe side.

I did a fecal check 7 days after 2 does kidded. I had given them Molly's herbal wormer 3 days in a row. One doe had about 15 eggs in her sample on the slide and the other doe had 120. The doe that had a 120 was a doe I had bought back from a lady who I had sold her too almost 2 years ago. I had her 2 months when she kidded. Her weight was good but her coat just didn't look right. The lady was feeding her an economy meat pellet of 9%. I had her on my dairy ration and now she looks much better. But because she had way more eggs than the other doe I went ahead an ivomeced her by mouth. I think that 120 eggs for her slide sample seems pretty high. Anyway thanks for any info.
Linda

Go to Top of Page

mmartz
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Melissa
Frostburg MD
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  11:41:20 AM  Show Profile
Herbal Wormer recipe here.

http://www.pinegoats.com/herbal-wormer.html

Missy
www.rocking-m.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  2:53:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Malissa for the herbal recipe. I am out of my Molly's herbal wormer and think I will order the stuff to make this.
You have a very nice website. I love goats too. They are a big part of my life. I have never heard of San Clemente goats. Are they a dairy breed or meat breed and did you buy them in the U.S.?? They kinda remind me of Oberhaslie's ....I know I spelled that wrong.....lol. Anyway was just curious about them.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  3:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls! I have Boer goats and Nubian goats and have never heard of wormers from Molly's or the other place mentioned(Hoeggers?). Can someone give the contact info for those please? And also, where do you get DE? I have been moaning and groaning that it seems like we're always having to give our goats some kind of chemical for something. Cause of course a vet won't recommend natural remedies! I learn something new on this forum everyday!

Best farm wishes
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  05:44:15 AM  Show Profile

Hi Tammy
Hoeggers Supply Company is online. They have a herbal wormer and tonic. The other one is Molley's Herbals they are also online. I think I like Molley's the best. I think Hoeggers supply is www.thegoatstore.com and you can request a has a wealth of info ........its amazing.
I got my DE from our farm store but it was a 50lb bag. Some gardening stores carry it. I think both the companies have it also. Good luck and hope this helps.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  10:18:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda, I'm gonna check it out!

Best farm wishes
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  09:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'm also very intrested in this too. Is there anything else you could use as a dewormer besides tobacco?
Maggie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic recipe for herbal goat wormer Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page