Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  12:57:29 PM  Show Profile

My 2 cats are on monthly purple Advantage. However because they are indoor/outdoor cats they still pick up a few fleas. Is there anything natural I can give them that would repel the fleas because I don't want to load them up with a bunch of different chemical products?

I guess this is a housekeeping question too as I don't want fleas in the house.

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  2:42:24 PM  Show Profile
Anything with orange oil will kill fleas. Try a natural pet store for shampoos or sprays containing citrus.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  1:21:02 PM  Show Profile
THanks Kay. I'll give that a try. Advantage is great for killing fleas but not repeling them.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  7:56:06 PM  Show Profile
I've been wondering about diatomaceous earth. I've heard that it's good for keeping fleas and lice controled on chickens and I wonder if anyone has used it on indoor pets.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  08:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Organic apple cider vinegar works too. Spray some on your dogs/cats (rub it into their coats) and also add a teaspoon of it to their waterbowl every day.

Taken internally, apple cider vinegar is credited with maintaining the acid/alkaline balance of the digestive tract. To check your dog's pH balance, pick up some pH strips at the drug store, and first thing in the morning test the dog's urine. If it reads anywhere from 6.2 - 6.5, your dog's system is exactly where it should be. If it is 7.5 or higher, the diet you are feeding is too alkaline, and Apple Cider Vinegar will re-establish the correct balance.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  09:49:07 AM  Show Profile
You might want to try brewer's yeast tablets. Give one as a treat once a day -- most cats love them, although, being cats, of course some don't! I read this waaaay long time ago in Anitra Frazer's wonderful book, The Natural Cat. Works for us. The brewer's yeast has nutritional value, as well as being a natural flea deterrent.

Darla

quote:
Originally posted by Susie Q

My 2 cats are on monthly purple Advantage. However because they are indoor/outdoor cats they still pick up a few fleas. Is there anything natural I can give them that would repel the fleas because I don't want to load them up with a bunch of different chemical products?

I guess this is a housekeeping question too as I don't want fleas in the house.

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  2:25:44 PM  Show Profile
Our dog prances in and out on a whim but thinks she is one of us and sleeps in the house, preferably on the bed with US if it were up to her! When my husband and son were away she seemed to have an episode of fleas inspite of Frontline so I washed her with lavender soap and she smelled beautiful! I don't think the fleas cared for it however and I didn't see them anymore! Maybe coincidence, you be the judge.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  08:45:43 AM  Show Profile
Pennyroyal (in pots---it's a rambler!!!) on the outskirts of my yard, by the front door and kitchen door and wherever my clan runs...I also have indoor/outdoor kitties, and three large dogs--Pennyroyal is a native plant here, so it's easy to come by. I also dry it and put it in cheescloths bags which I place inside their beds. It's not a rid-all, but combined with another method certainly does help.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  07:11:35 AM  Show Profile
I was reading my Herb Companion this AM and came across an article about a natural flea remedy. It says it can be appplies directly to pets, carpets, hardwood floors, furniture, lawns or gardens. Sounds like diatomaceous earth because it dehydrates the fleas.

http://www.naturalflearemedy.com/

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

blanket of stars
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kat
Hancock NH
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  5:49:36 PM  Show Profile
I make a "Lulu's Stinky Carpet Refresher" ( a dog) using baking soda, cornstarch, dried pennyroyal, and crushed bay leaves. Sprinkle on, let sit, vacuum up. You need a vacuum for this! Works for chasing fleas and deodorizing the air......
love Kat
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  04:55:29 AM  Show Profile
Kay,

It is diatomaceous earth. Their's is priced at $14.99 for 8 oz. and it is $13.49 for 9 oz. at Murray McMurray Hatchery. You can also buy a lot of it at $56.50 for 3 pounds which will save you about $.69 per oz. I'm glad to know I can use it on my pets as well as chickens. Especially when the barn cats start showing up.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  12:34:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everybody. I'll try the brewers yeast and the cider vinegar first. I don't think I can give my cat's a lavender bath with out drawing blood. MINE! I want to look into the dim...?.?. earth stuff. sounds interesting.

THanks again!
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  3:42:27 PM  Show Profile
I give my 2 kittens lavender baths every 2 weeks they love them ( of course my kittens love the tub anyway, they try to get in when anyone is taking a shower) and then they smell soooo good lol. i've never thought of using citrus oils and apple cider vineger, I will have to try them.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  08:56:48 AM  Show Profile
Kat,

Do you worry about the toxicity of pennyroyal? I was going to make some carpet freshner with the essential oil but it says that it's toxic, so now I'm scared to do it. Since this post started my cats have developed a serious flea problem made worse by the fact that one of them is allergic to the fleas and gets horrible sores all over his body as well as a serious hairball problem from all of the licking. I bought some pesticide to treat my carpets but haven't been able to bring myself to use it. I'm also treating the cats with frontline (a pesticide) and today added a pill because I'm seeing fleas again before I can put more frontline on them. I've thought about using the diatomacious earth in the house and on the cats but I'm worried about it irritating my or my family's skin, eyes, etc. What a dilema!

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Natural Flea Repelant? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page