Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Tofu vs Cream Cheese Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  3:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Has anyone substituted Tofu for cream cheese in vegetable or fruit dips? If so what texture tofu would you use? Thanks

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  4:20:01 PM  Show Profile
you would need the soft. I have never substituted though. Dont think I would like it.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  7:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
try substituting yogurt cheese. i LOVE that stuff! just take a tub of cream cheese and drain it in a colander lined with a coffee filter until it is the consistency of cream cheese. i haven't tried it as a sub but it seems to me like it would work well. i like it mixed with diced apples & nuts... its really good with candied almonds or pecans... YUM! i use non fat yogurt, but i'm sure it would work with full or low fat yogurt too.

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  7:24:12 PM  Show Profile
I think she meant a tub of yogurt. Greek yougurt is already that thick consistency if it available in your area.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  7:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
oops! yes, i meant a tub of yogurt... but if you drain it long enough, it will become thicker than greek yogurt!
thanks for correcting me, julie!
ta

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  8:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I would use the soft tofu. You'll want to add some spices to it or something to give it some flavor.

To replace ricotta cheese, I mix silk tofu, firm tofu, a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of garlic powder in a blender. I make spinach lasagna with it, and you really, really don't notice that it isn't ricotta in there! So good subsititutes to cheese with tofu are possible, you jst have to experiment.
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  09:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
silken tofu works great! There is a tofu cream cheese that Trader Joes sells called "Better than Cream Cheese" very yummy but definetely an imitation of the real thing.

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Tofu vs Cream Cheese Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page