miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  12:03:18 AM  Show Profile
Today I was thinking after hearing some remarks of how women seemed to have no respect any more, And I thought well have women really put their selves in this position, I have often heard many remarks of how women conducted their selves in the work place, but since I have never worked in places where I was not treated with total respect I have not seen this, I have never been around filthy language in my life ,nor would be, I never saw my husband treat any woman with anything than utter respect , I see so many of our young women and old dressing now with their boobs hanging out, their skirts up to their butt, And then we wonder why so much bad things are happening to them, When I hear of the way young people are behaving today I want to cry , what are you doing to your selves.There are so many things that women do today that I have never done and would not do that at times I think well Wilma you are just an old prude, I never considered my self pretty wear my brown spots and wrinkles with honor because I have earned every one of them. I have never thought myself better than anyone else, my standards are my own, and I live by them, as every one else does, I suppose we dont hear the word much any more A lady, so I guess by my defination I am a lady and a very happy LADY AT THAT

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  06:29:46 AM  Show Profile
You are sooo awesome Wilma!!! Yep, unfortunately times have changed!!!
My 26 year old daughter, my husband and I were recently watching Legends of the Fall and there is a scene where a woman walks into the room and all the men stand up, my daughter commented "I wish that was like that today!" and my husband remarked "well YOU wanted equal rights!" I almost smacked him!!!! hugs to you Miss wilma!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  08:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Miss Wilma, I was just talking about this with some friends. I try to set an example with what I wear daily and especially at work. I am around a lot of young women (23 and below) and most consider me an older sister. I have been in the unfortunate position to have to mention to someone that they dressed inappropriately for work (we are talking clothing that is too tight and short). Conduct is another big one at work. I am overly friendly but some women are just downright, again, inappropriate. You don't have to sit in the corner and be a prude, but one reason I do not stay long at company held events (after work) is it starts to cross the line really quick and people actually look forward to seeing who makes a fool of themselves (especially the ladies acting in the wrong). I am so glad to see fashion has come back to a bit more lady like and covered up and I hope the trend continues. I am also trying to teach my son by example, how I dress, the words I use, the actions around him. It doesnt affect him.

Cheers,
Heather

Edited by - catscharm74 on Jan 27 2008 09:49:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  09:56:19 AM  Show Profile
Mima, wasnt that sweet of your daughter and arent you proud of her, I believe in women being treated like a lady no matter where they are, But I know women that are rougher than most men, How can a man respect us if we dont respect our selves, We have a neighbor that has been raising his son since birth, The little boy gets notices sent home every day from school because of the foul language he uses to the little girls at school, This little boy is 7 years old, their neighbors have little girls and cant hardly let them play outside in the summer because of this one child, He is one of the prettiest little boys I ever saw, now that child would not be talking like that unless he was hearing it at home, his dad thinks its funny and I just want to cry for the child , thank you for writing

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  10:24:26 AM  Show Profile
My mom said to me many times " I am going to make a lady out of you if it kills me." This was when I had done something not so good.

Looking back, I think it did probably take a few good years off her life.

And she always said, if you want to be treated like a lady, you have to act like one. I wonder how she would have raised a boy? She had two girls. I had a girl, but there is a lot of responsibility in raising a boy to treat women like ladies all the time. I see that in the way my hubby and his brother treat women. my MIL did a good job, too!

Goes both ways to make it work!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 27 2008 12:44:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  10:28:13 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree with you Miss Wilma. I was brought up in a world where women and men were treated differently. I am not sure why we decided being treated different meant we weren't being considered equals. I love it when men open doors for me, etc. Does that make me feel lesser? No, if anything it is the opposite as we are being given respect. I love being feminine and enjoy doing girly things with my girlfriends. I am still strong and independent and I really can't figure out how our culture managed to cross the two. I can do hard physical labor if I need to and often I do. I am not a 300 lb man and wonder why some women want to be treated as such. I have really gotten in to dressing more feminine lately. I found a brand of clothing that makes wonderful old style dresses that look like something off the Waltons. The brand is called April Cornell and I have found several affordable ones off ebay. God made me a woman. Why would I not embrace that! It has nothing to do with my brains or if I should vote or not. I am an intelligent person who speaks my mind. But do I need to burn a bra to do that? That to me speaks the opposite of intelligent!

Anyway, thanks for your wonderful insights. You truly are a lady and I hope all of us on this forum strive for the same.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  12:39:32 PM  Show Profile
I have just read and rejoiced at your posts, Ladies. I've been so nostalgic lately, really aching for things the way they used to be. I grew up in the early fifties and late forties and I remember men rising when a woman walked into the room. I also remember women being careful that their skirt covered their knees when they sat down. I must say that we and our grown children are reaping what we have sown. I raised two gentlemen and a lady but I look around and see that so many of my contemporaries didn't and that has gotten passed down.

Children LIKE to have rules, even though they may grumble. It means someone cares about them enough to see that they do things the right way, or the honest way, or the gentlemanly or ladylike way.

Of course, Friday was my Mother's birthday (she would have been 96 She died at 92)and my dear aunt, her sister, I have been very emotional the last couple of days, but I've been thinking a lot about the way things used to be when I was a child and my Mother wore white gloves to go to the doctor' office.

I guess all we can do is to be a good example (now they say "role model" sheesh) and live in such a way that we honor ourselves and those who taught us how.

Patricia

Proud Farmgirl Sister #19
Rusty Chicks Chapter

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Today I choose faith not fear.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  1:44:50 PM  Show Profile
More power to all of the ladies! I'm so pleased that my son is a gentleman and it's wonderful when people I barely know tell me how nice he is. My daughter...well, not quite as much the lady she might be, but not totally hopeless either. I'm hoping my son can teach my grandson, who is now living with him, how to act properly. He didn't learn it from my daughter and hopefully, 17 isn't too late.
I'm always surprised, and thank men who open and hold doors for me. I hold doors for people quite often and amazed at the response or lack of that gets. Older people are appreciative and that's what counts.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  2:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Do you think common, proper manners are just not being taught? Example today, there were some adults (probably around 20 years of age) sitting on the gym equipment at the park. I took my son there today and he wanted to go down the slide, but these people were just sitting there, no moving. I politely asked them if my son could go down the slide (I even made him say "cuse me"...so cute...) and they acted like I was kicking them off of something they shouldn't be sitting on. Well, the new me said thank you but I had to hold my ground so my son could go back around or else they would have sat right back down. DUH????

I think both the boys and girls of today could do with a good manners lesson but also, the adults they are around set the example. No matter how many times I tell my son to sit down when we are out eating, I will continue to do so. I refuse to have a kid who runs amuck in a restauarant. Please, thank you, your welcome, excuse me...just basics common courteousy. I am far from a fuddy duddy at my age.

I am still amazed at people who come into interview for jobs and lack basic manners and proper language. I can understand being young and broke and nervous, but lengthening the skirt and closing the blouse and losing the "Yep and Na" would go a long way in getting hired. I hear the frustration all the time of employers who can't find decent young people to hire. They are qualified but lack in the respect and manners, which always reflects back on the company.

I got berated by someone who came to our house for a get together and saw our Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders picture on the wall. Now let me say, I love that show. You never hear a cuss, dis-respectful act out of any of those girls and ladies, always yes ma'am, thank you, and they are always polite. I think they are excellent role models for young girls. My son always says "YEE HAW" when he sees them!!! This was the same lady with the 13 year old with the see through top on she thought was "cute" and the micro mini and what I would call starter heels and a FULL face of makeup. Yep!! I am the one with the problem...UGH!!!!!

I think a lovely group of farmgirls like us can make a difference...

Cheers,
Heather

Edited by - catscharm74 on Jan 27 2008 3:10:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  3:03:26 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I am proud of you to,I dress different ways I am very comfortable here at home in my sweats, I mostly wear jeans, I love boots, the only time I wear dresses is to church, because I hate putting on the hose and all that stuff, My favorite is long deneim skirts, I never have figured out why women have to as you say make a fool out of their selves by the way they act and dress in public,I think I have a lot of fun but have never had to make a spectical out of my self It certainly wouldnt take me long to put a vulgar old man in his place I am a strong believer that if you bring up a child in the way he should go he will never depart from it, Some might stray for awhle but they will never forget it, The world will go on with these kinds of people but I can walk away from it

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  3:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Some of what I would consider "sexy" looking women, no matter the age, usually have on more clothes than I do and they look fantastic!! It has almost become a competition among young girls to see who can be "sexier" which to them means getting away with wearing skimpy clothes and acting sexual- which we all know they are confused to that real meaning. And when I see women who know better, I just want to bop them in the head (like the V8 commercial). I am not one whose is easily shocked, I have seen it all and been around it enough to know it is just a way of getting attention or so they feel like they fit in or before someone makes a fool of them, they do it first. I have had "friends" who I will say something too who get mad and are no longer nice to me. They call me stuck up, but I am a LADY!!! HA!! And trust me, I can spit and swear like a sailor...(6 years in the Navy does that to a girl) but I know when it is appropriate.

Cheers,
Heather

Edited by - catscharm74 on Jan 27 2008 3:17:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  3:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I don't know MIss Wilma I cringe at this word. I always hear it from my grandma (mammy). To me in this era a lady isn't sleeping around and has respect and pride in her body. I swear like a sailor sometimes (bad habit I KNOW) but I consider myself a lady and in this age I am pretty prudish. Most of my friends always say let lose etc. I barely party. I enjoy wine or going out for some beer here and there but I am over that stage. I have always felt older than what I am. I don't quite fit in with people my age with my beliefs. I don't stay over at my bfs ever. I do dress somewhat sexy like what you'd consider. The boobs don't hang out but I wear cute tops etc. I love skirts and mini ones but I don't let my butt hang out and I tend to wear boyshorts underneath in case I forget I have it on, occasionally I have innocently like at home. I love jeans more than anything. The swearing I do only around friends or try to keep it to a minimum around family. I never use the F word around fam though and I don't take the lords name in vain EVER! Pet peeve of mine. Oy I am still cringing, she is always saying to be a lady, in the era I AM! :-p hehe

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  3:52:45 PM  Show Profile
You know, I love this topic. I have always considered Karen Blixen, and especially her as portrayed by Meryl Streep in Out of Africa, to be VERY smart, sexy and a true lady. She didn't act like a "floozy" or wear miniskirts.

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  4:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I've never felt the need to flaunt myself or anything like that. I tend to be the strong woman that gives men a rough time or feeds it right back to them. I'm able to joke with them and hold my own. To me that is something that is worthwhile

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  4:57:02 PM  Show Profile
oh gosh I know I am a prude, ha I worked in a restruant back in 1970 IT was my first public job, one day the owner came in and had this big platter of little round pcs of meat and wanted me to try it, now mind you I hadnt ever seen what I was about to eat so I got one and started to chew it , he started laughing and I asked him what it was he said beef nuts , well you better believe I sure messed up the floor, Now I really liked this old man but in a few days he came in and told me a very dirty joke, I looked him in the eye and said I dont listen to dirty jokes from any other men and I wont you either so long and out the door I went ,Every one has their own way , I just cant see what could be fun about being vulgar, I have a lot of fun and laugh alot. but I dont think I would hold up very well if men talked about me like I have heard them talk of women around here, It would break my heart to know my daughter and granddaughters did things like I see other girls do I cant help my self , I am just an old prude

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  4:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
one of my petpeeves is people using the term "lady" to discribe women in general. to me "lady" is a special title and i try hard to earn it.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  4:59:36 PM  Show Profile
It is a very special title and I am proud to earn it and carry it

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  5:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Defnitely Miss Wilma! But I think we just meant people think all women should be or are ladies, so not true IMHO

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  5:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh bridget I hope I didnt say something to offend you , no we are not all ladies , but I truly feel like a lady perhaps its because I am treated like a lady. what is imho, sorry hoeny I am not very informed on a lot of things

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  6:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Miss Wilma, my daddy was born in 1923, my mom in 1948...so there was an age difference for sure, but what I learned from him was that men should have manners around ladies, and real ladies aren't the ones givin' it all away, so to speak. I've always been somewhat of a tomboy, but I can tell you this: I've never had to dress in a revealing way to get a man's attention. In fact, when I've worn something more revealing than I'm comfortable with, I usually spend the night with my head down and tugging and pulling at myself so the only attention I get is "look at that insecure girl!!" The day I met Jus, I had on a grey t-shirt, a pair of jeans, and sandals. Not exactly provocative, but we were engaged a month later.
I just asked Justin what he thought was "sexy" in women...he said intelligence, confidence and sense of humor. Note...he didn't say anything about flesh :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  6:34:00 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie you are the sweetest , prettiest little thing I cant imagine you having to show any thing except that sweet face and I know for sure Justin was a very wise man He only had to look at the face to know he had a diamond

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  6:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Miss Wilma, you are too kind. We were both very lucky to find each other for sure. I'm not a very good "dater" so I was very happy that he liked me for who I am, and I didn't have to go to all that work :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  6:49:00 PM  Show Profile
You both are precious to me

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  6:59:22 PM  Show Profile
And you to us, Miss Wilma. I'm very thankful for such friends, and such wisdom. You ARE a lady!!!

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  9:28:46 PM  Show Profile
Thank you my sweet newest little daughter, You know its not hard to be a lady, and I think I just met another one today,

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  05:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Miss Wilma nono you didn't offend me or anything!!!!! It's so hard to hear how I'd say this... :P

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I am a Lady Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page