windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4190 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4190 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  04:19:19 AM  Show Profile
Cottage Cheese ( Fias Co Farm Style ) I got this from the Dairy Connection website, where I ordered starter from.

2-3 gallons goat milk, or cow milk
1/4 tsp meophilic DVI culture MM or 4 oz mesophilic culture or 1 cup buttermilk (I would think that would be cultured)
1/2 tsp liquid rennet dissolved in 1/4 cup water
1-2 T kosher salt

Bring the milk to 86*, 90* for cow milk, and add the mesophilic culture. Stir well and let set to ripen for 1 hour. Add the rennet mixture and stir briskly for 15 seconds. Cover the pot and let the milk set for 45 min, or until you get break. Hold the milk temp at 86 and 90 for cow milk the entire time.
Cut the curds into 1/2" pieces. Do not stir, let rest for 10 min, 5 min for cow milk.
Now stir the curds gently and cut any you missed. Raise the temp of the curds to 95*, 99* for cow milk over the next 20 minutes stirring occasionally so the curds do not stick together. Let the curds settle for 5 min, undisturbed.
Drain the whey until it is level with the curds. Add enough cold water to lower the temp to 85* Stir as you add the water, and leave sit for 10 min, stirring occasionally so the curds don't stick together.
Pour the curds into a colander and let drain, stir occasionally so they don't stick together too bad. Drain about a 1/2 hour, then break up into a bowl, and salt. Cover and let sit for at least 2 days, so they can loose their squeak. Then add some cream for a creamier cottage cheese.

I cut this recipe in half, and works well. Hope you enjoy.
MIchele

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  06:54:11 AM  Show Profile
Looks like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cottage Cheese Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page