Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Does anyone make their own suet cakes for birds?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Does anyone make their own suet cakes for birds? Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  5:55:48 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for a good all around recipe for my birds...we have cardinals, eastern towees, wrens, nuthatches, titmouses, chickadees and woodpeckers right now and it's very cold. I'd like to give them something to keep em going this winter!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  8:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Well, I don't make suet cakes, but I save all my bacon grease and mix it with a blend birdfood then put it out for the birds. When the grease is still liquid but not hot, I just pour in the bird seed.

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  03:44:10 AM  Show Profile
I keep one of those microwave meal black dishes in the frige and pour grease in it. I alternate seed with grease and sometimes blop the last jar remnants of peanut butter in it too. So when the container is full, it goes into an old mesh sack that used to have oranges and hangs on a tree for the birds.
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  08:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i do, but it is nothing elaborate. i just save up the "fat" from cooking and make it into balls and roll it in a bird seed from the store and put it out on the window shelves in my kitchen that dh put out there for feeding the birds. when i dont keep it stocked with food the birds usually gang up on the window and let me know i am falling down on my duty. also keep a little bird whistle nearby so the grandkids can talk to the birds when they want to, keeps em busy for a little while

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  08:15:58 AM  Show Profile
jonni . .i have a wonderful 'bird food' recipe book SOMEWHERE .. if i can find it .. i'll send you some recipes from it. i mostly just use peanut butter .. or i'll buy a can of lard and like texas frannie .. i roll it in birdseed (as i do the peanut butter). at christmastime .. i usually will gather children and we roll 'pinecones' in peanut butter and birdseed and hang them from bright ribbons on a 'christmas tree'. (did this with my grandes this year). xo

when we lived in maryland .. the SQUIRRELS mostly got to them before the birds had a chance. for some reason, there are very few squirrels here where we live.

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  12:49:29 PM  Show Profile
We get suet from the butcher/packing house, melt it down to liquid in the crock pot. Next pour into "molds, any old thing will do. Add seeds, cool, unmold & hang outdoors. The birds love it!

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  3:24:59 PM  Show Profile
Cool! I'm hesitant to part with my bacon grease cause we use it :), so I will pick up some beef suet or lard and load it up with seed and some dried fruit. The squirrels do like it also, but last week I had so many swallows I couldn't believe it! That suet was gone in about a 1/2 hour, both feeders. It was then that I began thinking of making my own :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  4:56:21 PM  Show Profile
I just read a neat idea in a bird magazine, but haven't tried it yet. It said to put some bird seed and fat drippings mixed together into a half gallon milk or orange juice carton (paper). As you get the desired amount, then slice the container like bread and it should fit into a suet cage. I have one started in an orange juice carton, but guess I'll have to get some beef fat or something to add to it.

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  06:34:29 AM  Show Profile
I mix bacon grease in with peanut butter and cornmeal. The birds love it. I got this recipe from my mother in law. She made a batch once and left the bowl on her kitchen table. Her oldest (adult) son was soon spotted smearing it on crackers and told his mom it was great stuff...I put out black oil sunflower seeds too. The only drawback to feeding the birds is that the squirrels go mad and steal sll the goodies. I had just filled the suet cake holders on one of my feeders the other day and I looked out my kitchen window a little later to spy a squirrel wrestling with an entire suet cake. He only managed to get one big hunk out of it.
the squirrels spill so much seed that the wild turkeys show up and get a treat too. Birds are such amazing creatures....Karin
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  07:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I was watching a segment of Martha Steward a few weeks ago and they where talking about Suet, Birds and Squirrels. A man from the Audubon Society said that the squirrels are after the bird seed. If you use straight fat with out seed the birds will still eat and the squirrels will leave it alone. I haven't tried it yet mostly because its to funny watching 6'5" DH chasing our 3 squirrels off the feeders. Sometimes they even have a stand off. Wildlife watching is really a lot of fun at our place. We did how ever change out our suet feeder to the small metal cage ones that the squirrels can not get big chunks out of. Here is there web site and I'm sure Martha also has it on hers too. http://www.audubon.org/

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  07:32:40 AM  Show Profile
I've always had trouble with those beady-eyed squirrels and it just irritates the bejeezus outta me to look out and see them scarfing up the goodies!!

I'm going to try the suet cakes with peanut butter as I don't cook enuf to get the lard/drippin's.

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  07:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
We've named our 3 squirrels brothers Curly, Larry and Moe. They live in our owl box and have been there for years. They will not give it up. I also most wet myself the first year we tried to clean the box in the fall. Dh was on the ladder and he knocked on the box only to hear growling. When he opened up the bottom out fell a squirrel right on him. Down they both can. No one was hurt but they both were stunned. After I stopped squealing I laughed until I cried. In January my last bushel of apples froze and we thow them into the woods. The brothers have picked them all up for us and placed them in many of our tree. So when looking out our front window we see these red apples in the crooks of our trees. They can be a nuisance but cheap entertainment too.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Mnhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kathy
Battle Lake minnesota
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  1:35:47 PM  Show Profile
I keep several feeders out. 2 with BOSS, 1 thistle and 1 with a cracked corn/seed mix and 2 suet cages. At any given time I will have the birds, 6-8 squirrels including several black squirrels and several big fox squirrels. I also in the last few weeks have had rafters of wild turkeys in the yard and under my feeders. I am also lucky enough to get the piliated woodpeckers at my suet. Also have a lot of bunnies. One day I watched a squirrel that would sneak up behind a rabbit and I swear the squirrel was goosing the rabbit in the butt, cause the the squirrel would run in poke the rabbit and the rabbit would leap about 3 feet straight into the air. I laughed til I almost wet my pants I love being able to watch the wildlife.

Farm House Formulas Battle Lake, MN
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Does anyone make their own suet cakes for birds? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page