Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  02:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
I am probably going in over my head but we want to start chickens for the first time this year, layers & broilers, but we'd also like to have some turkeys. Other than being incredibly dense (from what I've heard & read) are there other challenges? I want to raise about a dozen. That would provide for my family and a couple left over to sell if I can keep them from smothering each other at the get-go. Any advice would be appreciated. Right now I'm thinking I'd keep them in a pen next to the chickens but not all together.

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  8:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
You might want to try www.hobbyfarms.com

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  9:01:20 PM  Show Profile
We kept our turkeys in a pen next to our chickens. You have to have it covered, or they will drown. I always thought they were more stinky than chickens. They are very dumb. we would leave the door open wide, and they would just stand in their pen.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!

Edited by - one_dog_per_acre on Jan 24 2008 9:01:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  08:38:13 AM  Show Profile
I'd like more info, too. How much harder are they to raise than meat chickens? I'd imagine they eat a whole lot more. How long till butchering size? Are they HARD to butcher? Are they hard to take care of? Do they fight? etc etc
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  09:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i've had limited experience with turkeys and would never try to raise them from chicks again. Every time I turned around they wanted to lay down and die. I loved the turks I bought as adults though. It was so much fun to watch that tom strutt!

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  09:44:10 AM  Show Profile
I raised turkeys for thanksgiving once (2 of them). I got them as chicks and we bonded. Serioulsy- I loved them- they were so mellow and follwed me around like puppies so of couse I couldnt do the deed when november rolled around! I'm thinking of getting another pair eventually as yard pets (and bug control).

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Turkeys? Gobble, Gobble!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page