Freckle Farm Girl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Sarah
Turner Maine
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  12:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Hello All! I am so excited to "meet" other Farm Girls :-) I am a single mom who runs a very small farm in rural Maine. I am an RN by day and Farm Girl by night (and truly all the time!). My co-workers think I am insane to "work so hard", but even though farm life is tough at times it is also INCREDIBLY rewarding! And is is wonderful for my kids.
I recently read about Mary Jane's Farm in Country Home magazine and I've been "hooked" ever since. I have bought her book, visited the website several times, ordered food products, and now I am visitng this great forum.
I hope to participate here as much as I can. This is very exciting to "meet" others who love this way of life as much as I do :-)
Sarah, owner of Freckle Farm, and true Farm Girl at heart :-)

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  12:28:19 PM  Show Profile
Another nurse,,hmmmmmmm lots of us on here!!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  12:40:06 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Sarah! Hope you will join and find lots of fun, info and kindred spirits here. We "chat" about just near everything!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Aug 22 2005 12:42:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  12:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Sarah! I was in your neighborhood last October when I spent a weekend at Nezinscott Farm. It's nice to have another Mainer here.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Freckle Farm Girl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Sarah
Turner Maine
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  3:20:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Robin! Nezinscot Farm has been my inspration! Gloria, the owner/operater is sensational :-) And a lifesaver - she recently let one of my unruly rams move in! He was continually getting out of the fence - I swear he was Houdini himself. But he is happy at Nezinscot, and I don't have worry about him "bunting" me or the kids anymore :-)
What type of sheep do you have at "Thyme For You Farm"? I raise Columbias.
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  3:34:38 PM  Show Profile
I have invisible sheep. They don't eat much, never need to be sheared and their feet never need to be trimmed. They don't test fencing and never butt. Or........I don't have sheep. =) When the business started 11 years ago I was growing herbs for soap and restaurants and my partner raised sheep. I gardened on her land. She went back to teaching after the first year and I kept the business name.

Gloria is speaking at the WAgN conference in Vermont this October. I'm not sighed up for her class but will make a point of seeing her before I leave. When I asked to watch her make bread she invited me to her kitchen at 4:45 a.m. I was thrilled when she let me make it too. I can't say enough good about her and her family.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Freckle Farm Girl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Sarah
Turner Maine
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  3:56:37 PM  Show Profile
Whatis the WAgN Conference???
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  5:38:01 PM  Show Profile
hi sarah-

welcome, welcome!! i don't know anyone from maine so it's neat to meet you.

where do you nurse? i am an old maternal-child lactation nurse, currently trying to finish my master's-should be done in may!!

how did you name your farm? (do love the name!)

good to have you.

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Freckle Farm Girl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Sarah
Turner Maine
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  6:08:54 PM  Show Profile
It is nice to meet you! And to meet so many others!
I worked Med/Surg for 5 years - but quickly got burnt out with 12 hour shifts and was really looking for something I could do - still in the medical field - but still be home with my two children.
And one day out of the blue, I was offered this terrific job that I am currently in - for nearly 5 years now.
I work for the Trauma Program of a medium sized hospital in Central Maine. I organize ALL of our data from our trauma registry - everything from inputting data to running queries to writing reports to research projects. And just to keep me sane and from looking at the computer screen all day long, I also do all our of community outreach in the form of injury prevention (car seat education, bike helmets, etc, etc). I also am the manager of our "Car Seat Voucher Program" where we give out car seats, along with the education that goes with it, to low income families, at no cost. And I routinely work at the local "fitting station" where we check seats for families for correct or incorrect installation.
So that is my day job. And as much as I love it, I'd really like to be home, with my kids who grow faster and faster each and every day and with my animals. Maybe someday.....
Working on your Masters degree??? That must be busy - and stressful???
Go to Top of Page

Freckle Farm Girl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Sarah
Turner Maine
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  6:10:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and naming my farm was easy. I am a red head complete with freckles as are my two kiddos. My ex-husband actually thought of it - and it just kinda stuck :-)
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  11:19:19 PM  Show Profile
I am new here but I keep seeing more and more of us saying we are nurses and I can't help but wonder about the correlation between the nurturing, caring relationship as it applies to our patients/families and our animals/livestock, or plants/flowers.
I am a long-term care nurse and have been since 1973 and I get so tired of people over the years asking me WHY? don't you want to do REAL nursing. Boy howdy they have never been in a nursing home when things really start hopping. You not only have to take care of the whole patient without the aide of an M.D. on staff but you usually do it without the patient being able to tell you where it hurts. Sheesh I guess I should have been in the "venting" forum, sorry. I guess what I am trying to say is it takes a special person to enjoy nursing and maybe the same type to enjoy being a farmgirl. Lots of Love to All, Arlene
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  07:51:01 AM  Show Profile
hey sarah-what a cool job! i love teaching and it sounds like you get to do a fair amount of that!

and arlene-i can't believe anyone would believe what you do isn't REAL nursing! elderly people can have so many complex problems all at once-you really have to be sharp to deal with all of them AND their families AND their meds AND...

yes, the MSN thing is busy, busy and i do get stressed but mainly i get stressed thinking i'm not doing well enough or am skimping on time with my family and that winds me up. but only 2 more semesters-you can do anything for that long, right?

for me, the animals and gardening give back to me. i think as nurses we give out so much we HAVE to have something to recharge our batteries or we burn out and up. watching the rhythms of the seasons on our little place reminds me that life goes on.

who else are nurses out there?

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Freckle Farm Girl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Sarah
Turner Maine
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  08:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I agree. Working here in Trauma, I see so many lives cut short and it is refreshing to go home and spend so much time out doors and be able to see life continue...the best kind of therapy.
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from Maine Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page