Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Who heats with a heat pump?Do you like it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Who heats with a heat pump?Do you like it? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  2:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
We FINALLY found a contractor/engineer for this project. We're using two separate gas furnaces(one 3 ton and one 2 1/2 ton.) The other big thing is that we will have two heat pumps, also. Today, every time I say the words 'heat pump', all I get is 'OH, NO'! Not a HEAT PUMP!. This has been going on all day long and I'm suddenly very worried. This project is going to cost us $21,000 of money we don't even have all of right now. The magazine we get from the RECC has praised and recommended heat pumps in almost every issue. The HVAC guy insisted that this will give us the best heating and be economical, etc. And our buddy Mike is in agreement. So what's going on here? Have heat pumps improved drastically over what my friends may have had? Now I don't know what to do. And we're supposed to meet the contractors at the farm on Thursday to mark where the vents will go!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Jan 23 2008 12:26:19 PM

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  4:55:20 PM  Show Profile
I don't know very much about them Janice except to say that they are very economical and I think, heat very well. My mother has electric heat and she has the heat pump--I have gas and needed a gas furnace instead. In fact, I think that's the biggest difference really.

I would stick with your gut and what you've read. You're no dummy and you do your homework. Someone always has an opinion, and hey, if Major Mike thought it was a good thing, then it is. I think it's only natural to have the heebie jeebies over such a large purchase. Of course you want to do it the right way, and I think you're well on your way.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  5:07:13 PM  Show Profile
We have a heat pump and I really didn't know much about them. They use the air in the house so you can't open doors or windows or you defeat the purpose of the pump. And you shold have the registers open in at least all but one room to work efficiently. We had to replace our heat pump but not the furnace. It cost 8,000 dollars. No cheapy. But the difference in the electric bill--from the old not working properly one---to the new one. They also work best in a larger house. The outfit that installed ours were great and they answered every question I asked and came out a few time when I had a question. I hope that helps.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  7:23:23 PM  Show Profile
We were told that the heat pump with the AC is more cost efficient than a normal system. We have the central air and then the radiant heat in the ceiling. We can run the heat like the ac, but it is much much more expensive (it doesn't have its own heat pump). I'm horrible at explaining these technical thingies. I would get some price quotes from a few folks on prices. You might want to check out folks out of Frankfort or Lexington too. They may charge traveling, but they may be cheaper. You just never know. I was priced $4500 for a new AC unit with heat pump. We have the vents, etc already.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  3:07:22 PM  Show Profile
oh joy, we have a new home that was completed (built) in March 2007. We moved in mid July,,,& guess what? the motor went out in our heat pump! aauugghhhh! but the good thing is we have a 1 year warranty.
I have been stuck home all day today waiting for the mechanic/technician to show up and give us the diagnosis. We do know that the nearest motor for our heat pump is over in Tacoma, WA., about 4-5 hr drive. But the company assured us they can have it here by tomorrow. Mean time, thank goodness we have 3 little room heaters and it's only about 15degrees outside, break out the tank tops & flip flops! lol!
Our fireplace does a great job of heating the main floor of the house. So worse comes to worse, we will camp out in the living room or our motorhome. Not to mention snuggle with our 4 furbabies...
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  4:43:41 PM  Show Profile
Janice
I am an appraiser, and can usually tell what type of heat someone has when I go into their house (I can somehow FEEL it). The gas furnace will provide the warmest & best heat, and the heat pump will also be more economical. I think your HVAC guy is on track. The gas heat is warmer & to me, I can tell when someone uses propane or gas over electric. Don't ask me how, just experience I guess. As long as it is not a lower end heat pump(which unfortunately I see a lot of), you should be in good shape.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  9:27:25 PM  Show Profile
Our house is 20 years old and the original heat pump is still going strong although DH thinks it is time to replace it probably.

It works great and keeps our electric bill low (the house is all electric, which is nice for keeping it clean), the resistance heating doesn't have to come on in winter as often and the airconditioning doesn't have to run as much in the summer.

The biggest disadvantage of the heat pump is that when the weather outside is below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, the heat pump doesn't really do anything, it can't warm up the air, so it runs but wastes the electricity it uses. And it blows air that feels cold unless we close the vents. So it really depends on your climate and how many below 20 degree days you typically have.

We burn wood in our fireplace insert when the weather is that cold (like right now) and so the family room is warm but the bedrooms are cold. We put an extra blanket on the bed and snuggle, so it's not all bad!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Jan 23 2008 9:29:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  9:27:33 PM  Show Profile
we have two somewhat antiquated heat pumps (cheap kind ... so our heat man tells us) ... that have been in the cabins a long time. not terribly efficient. i've been told that the 'new' ones do a GREAT job though .. and we will most likely be replacing these old tired ugly ones soon ... we did just get a 'gas' insert in the fireplace and that little hummer will run you outta' there! the jury is out on how much money it costs to run it .. but it is keeping me 'toasty' when i sit and sew and watch my movies on tv. we also had the rotted 'eaves' re-done and they put in more insulation which should also help.

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  06:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Okay, thanks everybody! I feel better now. And yesterday, we met with the nice man who owns the heating company. We are going to have 'dual fuel' and I'm feeling good about it. We're using two gas furnaces and two heat pumps. The owner thinks that the downstairs furnace can be installed hanging from the basement ceiling(I don't understand why we can't just sit it upright, but some 'code' says there has to be a certain amount of clearance above it...). At first, we thought it was going to have to be in the crawl space under the old house. We just have to be sure to insulate, insulate, insulate. The bad news is that we won't be able to use rolled insulation and do it ourselves. We're probably going to have to contract with the 'Icynene' folks to have it blown in to the walls.....I need to win the lottery! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Jan 25 2008 06:14:34 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Who heats with a heat pump?Do you like it? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page