mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  11:29:48 AM  Show Profile
A weird thing happened to dh and I last night. We were in bed - I was lying there awake and he was sound asleep about 1 am, and I heard someone knock on our front door, then ring the doorbell. Being the woman I am, I woke dh up and told him someone was at the door. He got up, totally confused (this is funny), put MY robe on and went to the door (little skinny bare legs sticking out). It was a cop at the door! If it would have been me, I would have fainted at this point, but I could hear the conversation. the cop said they had received a 911 call from our house and when they tried to call it back, our phone was busy. He asked if everyone was ok and if so, to go check and see if our phones were on the hook. He said he would go back to his car and check the number again. Mike checked our phones, which were on the hook, and the cop came back and repeated our phone number to him. Right number. So, he asked about who else might be in the house that could have called 911 and Mike told him that I was here, but that was all. Cop said "Is she asleep too?" DH said "Well, she was." I thought - many don't smart mouth the police. Anyway, then he asked about kids, and dh told him no kids, so he apologized for waking us up and left. Now, what in the world could have happened there. I know our phone service is really unreliable - it is out a lot, but to dial 911 spontaneously? Ever hear of anything like that?

Farmgirl Sister #98

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  11:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
WOW that is spooky and creepy. It's like one of those horror stories. I have no clue. I know the first cordless phones would dial our neighbors and you could hear their convos too.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  11:36:59 AM  Show Profile
That happened to me once.

I do wish the cop had insisted on seeing you... some battered wives dial 911 without their husbands knowing about it.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile
I know - I was listening from the bedroom, and I could hear him hesitate - then just told dh he was sorry and left. I would have gladly gotten up and gone to the door (in dh's robe).

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  12:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that is odd. Something similiar happened to me...twice. When my husband was still living in Sweden we would call each other quite a lot. One night my phone rang in the middle of the night and I must have thought it was him and tried to call him back. Now to dial international there the first numbers are 011. Well I must have hit 911 by mistake or something and I was so tired that I didn't hang up properly. I'm still fuzzy on what actually happened but the next thing I know the police came to the door and wanted to know what the emegency was. I assured them I hadn't called but afterwards I got to thinking I must have hit the wrong numbers calling my husband.

Another time 911 called me back and asked why I hung up. But this time it was for a different reason. The last call I had made some time before was to 911 for my mother when she had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance and I must have hit redial by accident.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  12:05:19 PM  Show Profile
On the serious side, I totally agree Jennifer. He most definitely should have insisted on seeing Sherri.
On the lighter side, after last winter's big windstorm our phone lines were taken out and spent over a week laying on the road. A police car showed up in our driveway one afternoon to say they had a 911 call placed from our house.
Me: "Not possible, see..."
RCMP, not letting me finish: "Yes it was placed from this residence's phone number."
Me: "See those phone lines..."
RCMP: "Who else is here?"
Me: "My elderly MIL who I was just talking to. See those phone lines..."
RCMP: "So it wasn't placed from here then?"
Me: "Not possible! About those phone lines..."
RCMP, scratching head: "Oh..."
Sheesh!

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  12:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
HAHA Diane geez...... if only they'd listen

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  12:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I will ask my dad about this. He worked at a phone company for over 30 years and if anyone would know that answer- he would! I'll get back to ya'll tonight once he is home from work and I can call him. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  12:54:51 PM  Show Profile
Great Alee - we have CenturyTel and they have NOT been reliable at all. But, it's our only option in this town.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  1:28:31 PM  Show Profile
That is very strange indeed. But at least you know that they will come if you call!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  2:11:58 PM  Show Profile
My parents actually have two funny stories about 911 calls. Once our phone lines were out for a few days. My grandma had tried calling several times a day and only getting a busy signal so she became worried and called the police in our town to see if they could check on us. They pulled up at night when everyone was asleep except my dad, who was outside on the proch pouring kerosene (sp?) into the heater. Imagine what that looked like!! The cop insisted he wake my mom up but at that point my older brother (13 at the time) came downstairs and the officer just asked him if everything was okay.
The next time was Mother's Day. My little sister must have been playing with the phone and called 911. My dad was outside, in his pjs, getting my mom's gift out of the car. A police officer pulls up and asks what is going on. My dad was confused but told him that his little girl must have called. The police officer said go get your wife. Well, my dad had gone out the side door but was trying to get into the front door, which was locked. Imagine what the officer must have thought when my dad, in his pjs, was locked out of the house. My mom showed up and said all was well though.
I bet police officers often have funny stories to tell. But, I must say, the officer should have demanded to see you!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  2:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
The first thing I wanted to ask as I was reading is, did either of you actually SEE the police car? I'd be concerned about giving out info...but now that I rearead I see that surely your DH saw the car and wasn't concerned about someone trying to get more info about you. Glad all is well.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A strange occurance Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page