Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Some pics of my boys.... Next Topic  

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  11:08:21 AM  Show Profile
I haven't been here on this board in a long time but I've missed you all and thought of many of you frequently. I've been pretty busy getting a couple of my boys going. A friend of mine stopped by last October and took some pics for me, and I finally scanned them in and uploaded them to a hosting site. So here are Zeke and McEachan, both out of my mare Zanetta. They are FHANA registered Friesians.

This is me with baby Zeke. He was five months old here.

Here he's running around. He has a very typey way of going.

And here's big brother McEachan. He's three years old here.

He did spectacularly in his first year under saddle, earning himself the nickname Goat Boy because he'll climb ANYTHING. I've started many, many horses through the years but this one is hands down the boldest, the bravest, the most trusting colt EVER. My friend got to climb on and ride him around, and this is the only other person besides me to ever be on his back--- and he was a perfectly obedient gentleman. So I told her I wanted her camera and took her picture!

Here's a pic of his dear face. He's such a gentle, sweet spirit. I love him to pieces! Yeah his mane's sunburned; it'll get dyed in the spring.

Zeke was sold within a few weeks of his birth, and has since gone to his new home. McEachan will never be for sale; he's my guy!

I hope you like!

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  12:25:48 PM  Show Profile
wow! wow! wow! love them!so majestically beautiful! stunning...and did I say ..beautiful! They just take your breath away.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  12:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
omg...they are beautiful! someday, i'll have horses again. i've always rode quarter horses or mustangs, but your freisians area amazing. would you mind telling me more about them?

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

AmyEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Amy
McPherson Kansas
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  2:55:29 PM  Show Profile
OH My they are both so lovely. I have to say that while my first love is the arabian, freisians run such a very close second. My oh my they are both so gorgeous. I don't blame you for saying your boy would never be for sale. It would be an over my dead body sort of thing. They would have to pry the reins out of my hands if I were you. How blessed you are!!!
Amy

My Blog
http://lifenkansas.blogspot.com/
Amore Schnauzers
http://amoreschnauzers.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  3:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
Gorgeous! You are truly blessed

~Denise~
Proud Farmgirl Sister #113

http://mybigcityfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  3:25:18 PM  Show Profile
Mary Ann, I have wondered about you, haven't seen you around for awhile. Love your boys. Great leg action. Beautiful. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

HeathersHeartfeltStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  4:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Send HeathersHeartfeltStitches a Yahoo! Message
OMGOSH...What a BEAUTY! I had to share your pics with my DH. Your Big Boy has put a smile on his face today Thanks for Sharing.

http://www.picturetrail.com/photos/heathersstitches -SHOP
http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  5:57:31 PM  Show Profile
They are so beautiful. McEachan is just exquisite. That baby boy is a beauty too. How lucky you are to have these wonderful animals in your life.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  6:57:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh they are so pretty. Thanks so much for posting pictures for us to see!! It is good to see you post here too..I have missed you!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  7:00:23 PM  Show Profile
What stunners! I absolutely love watching a horse run. Beauty, truly.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  07:31:00 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann, it's so good to "see you" again! Your boys are so beautiful.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  09:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Your boys are beautiful. Very typey and you can just tell they have the best temperments!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  09:37:53 AM  Show Profile
Your guys are gorgeous! I've wondered where you've been! Glad to hear you're back!

Hugs to your guys! *hugs*

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  10:12:58 AM  Show Profile
WOW! What beautiful horses! LUCKY YOU :)
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  11:09:00 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful horses! I love their necks and sweet faces....they look like they have a sweet spirit! Nice photos. :)

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  10:54:47 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for your kind words! It means a lot to me, and I love to share my horses.

Corrine, Friesians are an ancient breed. As you probably know, our Quarter Horses have had their registry since 1941. But the modern Friesian registry dates back to the 1700s, and the Friesian horse dates back to the Middle Ages where it was used to carry knights into battle. A little known provision in the Dutch registry (the one in which my horses are registered) is that all the Friesians really belong to Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands, and are graciously lent to us common folk. The Friesian was developed in Friesland, a part of The Netherlands.

The breed nearly became extinct when the automobile came along, but a handful of dedicated breeders decided that this beautiful, gentle, bold breed must not be allowed to die out. There was a brief infusion of Oldenburg blood in the beginning, but since then all crossbreeding is expressly forbidden. Should you crossbreed your horse, you run the risk of having your horse's papers pulled and being thrown out of the registry. Only approved stallions are allowed to breed; again, anyone breeding an unapproved stallion runs the risk of having the papers pulled and being kicked out of the registry. Being an approved stallion is a rigorous process. First, the horse must be inspected in the fall of their three year old year by the judges the breed association brings over from Holland. Virtually no horses ever pass this inspection; but should they, then the owner must send the horse to Holland for a year of continuous evaluation and training. The owner foots the bill, and it's at least $10,000 after they arrive. Shipping is extra. Should they still pass, then they are given provisional breeding rights. If the quality of their babies is very high, then they get full breeding approval. Sometimes the babies aren't as well made as the parents, and the breeding privileges are revoked by judges who inspect the babies.

There are only about 92 approved and provisionally approved FHANA/FPS registered breeding stallions in the world.

There is also a German registry of Friesians. They do allow crossbreeding, and have several other distinctions that separate them from the Dutch horses. Both registries have outstanding individuals, but the price tag on the Dutch ones tends to be much higher.

I love my Quarter Horses, don't get me wrong. I have a delightful grandson of Sonny Dee Bar, and an own son of Natural Iron, a nearly 17hh hunter. But my heart has really been stolen by these sweet and gentle Friesians! They're naturally athletic, naturally balanced and forward, and gentle, sweet-natured people loving horses that love to be messed with and loved on. And believe me, it's so easy to do!

Thanks for looking at my boys! One of these days I'll have to upload some pics of their mama. She's such a beauty!

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  1:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Mary Ann - Your boy is just elegant. He looks like a sculpture come to life. Just perfect.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  7:09:35 PM  Show Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LYZByAlUQw

I hope this works but I think this is one gorgeous video. I know I'm a little off topic but thought you might enjoy it if you haven't seen it.

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  6:33:16 PM  Show Profile
Ooooh Winona, that's some outstanding eye candy! Their turnout is exquisite, and the performance was terrific! Friesians with manes like that have to be kept up all the time; if they had their heads down to graze, they'd step on their manes and forelocks and tear them out. Me, I like them to be on a lot of turnout, so we don't do that. But he sure was a treat to see! Thanks so much for thinking of me!
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  10:39:16 AM  Show Profile
Glad to see you're back, Mary Ann. I'm afraid the horse-bug has bitten me again ;-) Since I've started working at the Humane Society Rescue Ranch, and working with these sometimes troubled animals, I could sense the old yearnings sneaking up on me. And then I did something this past weekend that put me over the top: I watched LadyHawke once again. I surrender -- I need to ride again.

I've contacted the trainer that I worked with before - someone I trusted and respected. So I'll start with baby steps - taking lessons and getting my "horse legs" back. I'd love to adopt one of the rescued horses, but safety is a prime consideration and many of these horses have issues far beyond my capabilities.

So for now, I'll continue enjoying working at the ranch, teaching these ruffians the basics of ground manners and handling. There is just "something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a (wo)man."

Sandy

I've learned that it takes as much time and energy to wish as it does to plan.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Some pics of my boys.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page