palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  07:08:25 AM  Show Profile
i heard the govt. is allowing animals to be cloned for food and will be approved by the FDA?? now, did i hear that right? (it was late and i was falling asleep) does anyone else know anything about this? it kind of gives me the creeps..... looking for feedback and if anyone is in that business, what are your thoughts?

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile
It scares the heck out of me.

Go online to the Center for Food Safety and see if you can learn anything off there. I believe you can even send a letter to your senator/representative from there as well.

www.centerforfoodsafety.org

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  09:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
All the more reason to buy local and buy organic, I say. I am going to invest in a deep freezer when we move and buy a cow worth of meat from a local rancher. I won't buy unless I can go visit the ranch and see the animals. Either that or find a reputable natural foods market/food co-op that carries organic meat. Our local co-op has GREAT buying practices for instance.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com" target="_blank"> http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  10:16:46 AM  Show Profile
Exactly Alee! This kind of thing just encourages me to buy more local products whenever I can because who knows what they'll mess with next.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  10:29:15 AM  Show Profile
The cloned meat is supposedly not being allowed into the food supply yet it is just a possibilty. Researchers are saying however that the cost to clone animals is very high and that there would be no financial benefits to putting cloned animals into the food supply so the chances are low of it happening even if it is approved. I will raise all my own animals or become a vegetarian if it comes to that! Science might just be pushing the US back to a more agricultural society! FINE WITH ME!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  10:44:25 AM  Show Profile
It makes me seriously thing about keeping Mona's next calf (if it is a bull calf) to raise for meat. I hate to get rid of my sheep, but we don't eat them and it has been on my mind too. We will see. She won't calve until October so I have awhile to get fences reinforced (a steer would test the fence alot more) and get ready if I do decide to do that. Meanwhile we usually buy our beef from a local butcher..from the beef he raises himself..pork as well, and I raise most of the chicken we eat.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  10:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Exactly Julie! The more they mess with my food, the more I disconnect from the "food network" so to speak (not to be confused with The Food Network on TV LOL). The more they mess with my food the more I am going to grow at home!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com" target="_blank"> http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  10:48:43 AM  Show Profile
julie: felt a little better by what you wrote about it not being likely to happen. i'll snoop around and see what else i can find out about it. what i was concerned about is....you know how you can buy meat (chicken for instance) that says not injected with antibiotics, raised outside, basically organic? would a cloned chicken be labled not injected with "anything"? those vegatarian bakeovers are looking better to me all the time!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  11:44:05 AM  Show Profile
The FDA will not allow the cloned animal into the food supply but, get this, will allow all OFFSPRING of clones into the food supply without labeling!! It is happening. Check out this article, especially the paragraph toward the end which says that some offspring of clones are already being slaughtered.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-clone16jan16,0,6930429.story

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com

Edited by - katie-ell on Jan 18 2008 11:47:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  2:52:41 PM  Show Profile
sue there was a news segment on the CBS evening news Thursday night (I think) you can usually view them on CBS.com.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  3:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Honestly, that just scares me to pieces. It just makes me more focused and being more self-sufficient and providing our own safe food as much as possible. I so admire you farmgirls that are already way ahead of this issue!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  11:33:23 PM  Show Profile
i miss the good ole days when you actually raised the meat that you ate.. and this cloning thing scares the frogs outta me, i'll just keep going to the country butcher that i've gone to for years. i know where his cows come from.

Life is too short to be narrow minded.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  4:37:16 PM  Show Profile
In highschool I did a research project on cloning... also participated in a formalized debate on the same issue. This was waaaay before Dolly the sheep.

So someone please enlighten me as to why this is so scary? Is it the threat of this technology jumping to human subjects? Gads I hope not!

All a clone is is a genetic replica of the parent.

I do know variety is what saves a species from being whiped out from disease. So for this example, it would be better to have genetic variation in the food stuff we eat- be it plans or animal. Mostly for the sake of not depleating the supply.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  5:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Anna-

The things that scare me about cloned animals being in our food system basically boils down to us not knowing the full extent of the effect of cloning.

Clones are susceptible to different diseases and clone-only syndromes. Also they die earlier than the "real" animal. So something about cloning makes it not be quite "right".

In my personal opinion only that plants and organisms that naturally self-replicate, should self replicate. A cow has never and will never naturally self-replicate. It takes both the cow and the bull for a reason (in my mind). I feel that the genetics are weaker and again we don't know the full ramifications of these actions.

For example- what if clones flood the genetic market. What if in 10 years you can't get a bull or cow that doesn't have a clone in it's history. Then what if they all start getting weird disease or malady that we can't fix and we find out it is because they have a weakness in their genes due to the cloning. Or what if the foods produced from clones aren't absorbed by our bodies as well or what if they are higher in fats?

For example, for a long time we didn't know that trans-fats were horrible and people consumed them like crazy thinking they were better than sat fats in butters.

I personally want to stick with all natural and the way the universe meant my meals to be created. :D

But that's just my personal opinion.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  9:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Can anybody explain to me why we need to or should clone our food? The animals are still willing and capable of mating, right? I don't understand why we would even need this method.

I'm with you on this Alee. God made things to work perfectly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  9:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't understand the economics of it either, Lisa. When it is costing $17,000 to clone one cow, and less that $100 to breed her and reproduce her in more natural ways, it seems obvious that it would be more beneficial to stick to nature. *shrugs* I just can't wait till we get some acreage so we can run a few head of cattle organically so we will _know_ what we are eating. I also want to get a heirloom breed like Scottish Highland cattle because I don't need cows that produce 15 gallons of milk a day.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  12:25:54 PM  Show Profile
Here's some info on taking action against some of the meat industry madness:

PUT THE NATURAL BACK IN MEATS LABELED AS "NATURALLY RAISED"
Consumer polls indicate the average person imagines meat labeled "Naturally Raised" comes from animals that spent their drug-free lives freely roaming the fields of a family farmer, eating wild flora and fauna, and being (at least somewhat) humanely slaughtered. In fact a 2007 Consumer Reports survey shows 83% of consumers assume such labeling means “it came from an animal raised in a natural environment.” In stark contrast, the USDA, under pressure from big agribusiness, has released a standard for "Naturally Raised" meats that is so weak it would apply to a cloned animal raised in the confines of a factory farm.

The public comment period on this labeling standard only lasts until January 28, so take action now before this type of labeling becomes as ubiquitous as corporate lobbyists on Capitol Hill. To read the full proposed standard, go to the AMS web site at http://www.regulations.gov/ (insert “naturally raised” in the search box provided on the site).

All comments, due by January 28, should reference docket number LS-07-16.

Comments can be submitted online at http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/oca/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=22287

Or you can submit your individual comments directly below. (Individually submitted comments do carry more clout.)

1. The AMS web site at http://www.regulations.gov/ (insert “naturally raised” in the search box provided on the site) or click on Comment Form to go directly to the online form.

2. The Mail:
Naturally Raised Marketing Claim
Room 2607–S, AMS, USDA,
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20250–0254

3. By Fax (202) 720–1112.

I JUST SENT MINE IN ONLINE - IT'S EASY!!!
Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Edited by - jenbove on Jan 22 2008 12:28:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  1:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
EEEUUWW! If you read that it says that they want to not let the animals eat byproducts from mammals and avians...but what about FISH!! Cows don't normally eat fish!!

Gosh- just seeing what they are forbidding makes me wonder what those crazy feedlots feed the animals that they have to be told not to...gross gross gross.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  1:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Know where your food is coming from...this really drives it home for me. I am trying to more and more buy locally grown and raised food. What they feed on those feed lots is just gross and scary. We don't need cloned food, we need diverse healthy food raised and grown right.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  07:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, I am glad to be raising my own pigs and turkeys and chickens...will get another cow. I know where they came from, what they eat and that they have been treated well.
Just my two cents....

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  03:46:45 AM  Show Profile
And I guess all the scientific stuff goes on because it can and people use the brains God gave them....for good and bad! And that's the problem. The bad may not pop up for some years to come!

So I agree -and especially where our food is concerned...just leave it alone already!

Luckily- we grow 70% of what we eat- especially in the summer, and buy local beef from a friend once a year.

The entire cloning/gene splicing thing is a little daunting.

Same goes for the plant kingdom too. Most major soybean and corn planted these days are called "Roundup Ready". This means as the plant grows and the farmer sprays herbicide, the plants have been genetically altered to withstand the spraying and aren't affected like the weeds around it. I don't like this either! And same goes for other genetically altered vegitables.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  03:54:58 AM  Show Profile
And in the same vein as I thnk what Genbov said. We aren't getting what we pay for. Even for eggs, organic/free range/ cage free and cruelty free and all still ambiguous.

Unless we physically see these places for ourselves, we can't believe the hype. Cage free/pasture raised can still mean 10,000 chickens crammed into one barn- or just the door opened to allow birds to roam (they often don't)- and then transported via semi tractor trailer en-masse.

An organic egg IS organic in that it breaks down back to the soil when composted. BUT for the USDA standard, really, organic must mean that the chickens were fed feed with no chemicals and additives and not injected with steroids either.

Same goes for pet foods and people food too. It's all a lie unless you read the fine print and the "all natural/organic" goodie is in fact grown and raised to very strict standards.
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  08:12:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Same goes for the plant kingdom too. Most major soybean and corn planted these days are called "Roundup Ready". This means as the plant grows and the farmer sprays herbicide, the plants have been genetically altered to withstand the spraying and aren't affected like the weeds around it.

I don't disagree with you because I have first-hand experience with this - we plant Roundup Ready seeds. Now the weeds are "catching on" in the same vein as "Superbugs" and "Supergerms" - herbicide that killed weeds 10 years ago isn't as effective.

Organic is undoubtably the best option when you can get it/can afford it, but it isn't an option oftentimes on a large scale or else there wouldn't be a market for the crops that we produce. So... you have Roundup Ready seeds. It's not perfect (see above about the weeds) but it does significantly cut down on the amount of herbicide we have to put down.

I agree with you too, Anna, about humans using science because God gave us that ability.

In my opinion, it comes down to this: Do the best you can when you can do it. When you know better, do better.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  08:16:55 AM  Show Profile
Double posting to say that cloned meat worries me. The ubiquitous "they" don't know enough yet for this to be on the market.

Although I do have some barren hunting dogs I'd like cloned... :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  09:39:12 AM  Show Profile
I am seriously looking at raising chickens this next spring for the freezer and saving now to be able to buy a half a cow from our local 4H sale. Our country's food supply is getting more frightening and it seems as if "they" are leading the way down the slippery slope. Very scary.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  4:36:10 PM  Show Profile
Coming back to add something.

I was discussing this thread with my husband at supper and he said, "You know why these weeds are growing resistant, right? Because people are using too-low concentrations and aren't planting correctly, so the weeds are growing resistant."

Just like when people take the wrong antibiotics, don't finish them, etc. and the bacteria comes back stronger than ever.

Just wanted to follow up with that!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cloned steak? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page