Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Oh ICKY!!! Head Lice....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Oh ICKY!!! Head Lice.... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  4:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well, I get the note from DS's daycare that someone has head lice- so I am now sanitizing everything he touched in school in the washer.

What are you natural remedies to have on hand just in case?

ICKY!! I feel like burning everything I have....

Cheers,
Heather

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  4:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I have been told that tea tree oil works as a preventitive. Just put a few TBLs in your usual shampoo bottle and shake it up. I can't varrify the efficitiveness of it, but I guess I should give it a try now that I have 4 in school.

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  4:34:20 PM  Show Profile
I have heard the the best recipe to try to prevent headlice is to buy the Suave coconut shampoo and mix in a few drops of tea tree oil and shake real well. Use this to wash his hair instead of his regular shampoo (just be careful not to get in his eyes). There is supposed to be something in this mixture that lice do not like or it kills nits or something.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  4:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh...Thanks!!! I will stock up tomorrow!! Off to set my clothes on fire.... ; )

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  7:04:18 PM  Show Profile
If I recall correctly a good natural product to use is vinager. I'm pretty certain that's what I remember my sister using in the past when my niece was in lower elementary school.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  01:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Head Lice are nasty. But part of life with children. My DD use to bring them home every year through high school. We called her bug girl! The first time we had them I thought I was going to die. At that time I had 5 children and a foster child brought them into my house. Everyone got them before I caught them. They all even had hair cuts and head checks at school the week I found them. I hate using the Dr. RX but with 6 heads and my own I just wanted them gone. Heat kills them and vacuum beds and rooms often. Wash coats, hats and the such in the hottest water they can handle and DRY HOT!!!!!! Teach children not to share clothing or personal hygiene items. You can even transfer eye lash lice through using others mascara. Well I'm feeling crawly off to shower! Good luck!

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  11:00:36 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, my girls had head lice a couple years ago. Medical remedies are useless.

What works is "dirty" hair. Lice live and thrive in clean, freshly washed hair (counter to what lots of people think). Condition the hair well and leave a little in. If lice strike, douse the hair in a lotion like Cetaphil or even mayonnaise and pop a shower cap on their heads. Lice cannot live in those conditions.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  1:56:38 PM  Show Profile
That does it....I'm homeschooling!
My friend told me that schools that have carpets are more likely to have outbreaks.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  2:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hi Heather,
A really great non-toxic remedy for your child is to coat his hair with coconut oil. Leave it for an hour or so and then go through his hair with a lice comb. You have to do this daily for a while but I'm telling you it works brilliantly and he'll have the softest hair when you're done too!

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  4:13:30 PM  Show Profile
Gross!

Sounds like that's what I'm going through with a current flea problem. We aren't overrun, but I obsessively wash and dry my dog's bed 3 times a week and vacuum far more often than usual too.

Sorry I don't have any good remedies, just my sympathy
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Oh ICKY!!! Head Lice.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page