Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Old autograph album - how would you handle this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Old autograph album - how would you handle this? Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  1:06:49 PM  Show Profile
Several years ago, I bought an old autograph album at a garage sale or rummage sale (I honestly don't remember much about the purchase). It's not the kind for collecting famous people's signatures, just family and friends leaving favorite quotes and good wishes. Very much like a high school yearbook would be for people of my generation. Well, I found it recently and was looking through it and I noticed something I had never noticed before. All the signatures are addressed to "Miss Jennie". And pasted inside the back cover is a small newspaper item announcing Jennie's marriage. It tells her full name, the name of her bridegroom, the date, the church, everything. Dates from the 1880s.

Now, I have been trying to trace my family's genealogy for the past couple of years. I know that if I was a descendant of this couple, I would absolutely treasure something like this. I'm wondering if I should try to return it to the family? And how?

I looked in the local phone book and found about 6 people with this last name. Do you think it would be too weird to call them or send out a letter to all of them? What if more than one of them wants to claim the book?

My husband says that I should forget about it, that if anyone wanted it they wouldn't have let it go in the first place. But I know that things happen when a person dies or has to be moved into a nursing home. Sometimes older people just want to get rid of things and they don't realize how much it would mean to a grandchild or great-grandchild down the road. I know my grandmother threw out my dad's collection of 1950s baseball cards when he was away at college!

Do you have any suggestions?

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  1:14:24 PM  Show Profile
I would send a letter, Amie...wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago in NY or Jersey that a guy found an old suitcase in the wall of a building they were remodelling? It was from the 20's, and it was full of a "boys life" stuff, books and items that meant something to this child. Anyway, the construction worker did the same thing--he looked people up with the last name and called--unfortunately, the "boy" was long passed, but his son recollected him talking about the suitcase and the apartment and he and the memories of his late father were reunited.

I think stuff gets misplaced--men are somewhat nonsensical that way, so I'd just do it on my own an see what happens!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  1:21:47 PM  Show Profile
I'd call. Lots of people are into geneology now and will probably understand why you're calling.

I found things in our upstairs and tried to match up as many of them as I could with their families - I'm so, so glad I did!

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  1:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Something you might want to try is contacting your local paper. You could mention that you have something from the past that belong to this lady and perhaps some details on what you know about her. However, don't mention that it is an autograph album because anyone could contact you if they think it could be worth something. Call the folks in the phone book as well and explain about why you are trying to get in touch with this family. Over the years, people throw away stuff that they never realize that it could mean something to someone in their family. Good luck with it!

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  3:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, guys. I think I will try to contact them, just need to decide the best way now. I don't think my local newspaper would be interested. Unfortunately, they've got plenty of murders and such to fill their pages. Not mentioning what the item is is a good point. I think I'll just send a letter and say that I have some genealogical info to share, and if you think these people might be your ancestors get in touch with me. The thing I'm most afraid of is that I'll give the book to someone and then another family member will contact me and be mad that it's gone. I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. I hadn't heard about the suitcase in NJ, that's so cool.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Old autograph album - how would you handle this? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page