Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic cleaning basement Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  10:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Ok girls I need inspiration. I have attempted this 2x. It is completely and utterly overwhelming. I have a goal in mind. If we save up enough $ we can get the basement totally finished (has a floor and walls etc) but not a ceiling and the cozy feeling. I want to turn it into an office, exercise, guest room, and craft area. It is huge for a basement. We already have a family room down there but this would enable me to have the other room that is housing that stuff as my studio. There are things from my dead cousin from when she was a baby, antiques, craft supplies, holiday decorations, bikes, windows, the laundry stuff, and some random furniture. HOW THE HECK can I accomplish this. I thought about getting our cleaning lady (in a rough patch of life) to come for a few days a week to help. I have it all in basic piles but I just see it and want to run. :(:(

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  10:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Are you keeping all the stuff or wanting to get rid of it? Designate somewhere in the middle of the room the usual keep, sell, toss piles. Putting it in the middle allows you to move around the perimeter, say you have to paint something or move something, you can. I would start with putting the measurements of each area of paper and designing each space. Look at what you have and make a list of what you need. Little steps!!!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

italianchildhood
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

172 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  11:10:37 AM  Show Profile
I would agree to do it a little at a time--that's how I do things. Otherwise I get overwhelmed and, frankly, tired.

Probably start by throwing out what you want to throw out, that's the easiest part. Some of it you could try to sell--put an ad in the local paper or craigslist, or have a yard sale, or try a local antique shop to see if they would like it. The stuff you want to salvage I would try piece by piece to put it somewhere else in the house.

Good luck with it.

----------------------
http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds listings
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  11:51:17 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I cleaned out his mom's basement this summer. We went over and worked in shifts of a couple of hours, or a weekend day. It literally took all summer.

We threw out a lot and had two big garage sales. If we'd had time we could have sold more, but this was being done because she was selling the house and had to be out by a certain time. We ended up having to throw out a lot of usable stuff, which was unfortunate.

It's sorting it out and deciding what needs to go and what needs to stay that takes the time. If you can pick out the things you need to keep easily, you might be able to have a local estate sale operator or antiques dealer buy the whole lot. Or a local charity may come pick it all up and take it away. Let them do the sorting, if possible!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic cleaning basement Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page