Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Does anybody own a Vita-Mix?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does anybody own a Vita-Mix? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  07:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I've wanted one since the 70's(they advertised in Mother Earth). I couldn't afford one then. I'm not sure I can now...but I've checked on ebay, and maybe I can swing it. Last weekend, there was a woman demonstrating the newest version at a home improvement show. As many times as my dh dragged me away, I kept gravitating back to that booth. Okay, I was a little hungry and she was making great stuff(hot soup, smoothies and a delicious ice cream like frozen dessert). But it just seems like that device would replace a bunch of stuff on a kitchen counter - blender, food processor, etc. I'm wondering if I just want to fulfill my hippie chick wish of long ago, or is it really that useful?

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  08:28:03 AM  Show Profile
Janice
My friend Linda(wooliespinner) has one. I think she loves it. I'll have her check in to give you a full report.
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  08:28:43 AM  Show Profile
We have one! They are very cool!!! You can even make soup in them!! My hubby makes smoothies all the time! Good luck on your decision!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  09:00:02 AM  Show Profile
I have an old chrome one with a spigot. Demo man at Costco tried to sell me on how much better they are now, but for me, this is just fine. And only paid $24.50 for it at Salvation Army about 10 years ago. Whether it would replace the appliances on your counter...the blender for sure. I still have to have my Cuisinarts, big and small, depending on what I'm chopping, slicing, grating, etc.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  09:20:22 AM  Show Profile
I have one and I love it. I thought I would make soup with it, but I don't, but I use it for everything else. Here's a story that will convince you of how well made they are. As some of you know, I travel with dh when he goes out of town to work. Before we got our RV we were staying at a motel in San Francisco. Well, when it came time to go, I packed up everything we had used there - toaster, electric skillet, dishes, utensils, yarn, fabric, Vita-Mix, my bible, all the essentials, in a couple of plastic totes. Normally those would go in the bed of the pickup for the ride home (about a 12 hour drive if i remember). Well, my dh and his welding buddy had crafted a base for our windmill while we were down there, so he strapped the totes onto the toolbox of the pickup. Everything was secure and on the way home we stopped to eat in a restaurant and hopped back in and left. We got down the freeway a couple of miles and I heard my husband say "1!@#@$$%!" as he looked out the back window. Someone had undone our straps while we were eating and our two totes were sliding down the side of the pickup bed and flying off the end. Both of them hit the freeway like a bomb and exploded - stuff EVERYWHERE!! Well, we pulled over and dh (against my protests) got out and ran back in the median and started picking everything up (BETWEEN CARS!!!) as they roared past. To cut to the chase, my Vita-Mix had hit the freeway and rolled and bounced about 50 feet and the only thing that was wrong with it was I lost the little rubber pad that goes under the bowl. I ordered a new one and it's as good as new. My bible was lost as well as some fabric and my dear sweet husband had put my sewing machine behind the seat of the pickup, unbeknownst to me, thank goodness. Anyway, both dh and the Vita-Mix survived without much damage. I however, lost about 10 years of my life, watching DH dart in and out of the median to retreive things!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  10:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I get this guy's emails and he has the vitamix (not sure the model # you want) @ a substantially reduced price. I've wanted one for years, but just keep using my old oster model & my champion juicer, but I'm budgeting for the vitamix...
Here's Mike's link: http://store.therawdiet.com/blenders1.html
I'd say you probably couldn't make a better investment.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  11:30:13 AM  Show Profile

OMG! Sherri, what an experience! I can just see your husband running in and out of traffic grabbing stuff. You could probably get attention from Vita mix by telling them the story how yours survived!

I've also thought about the Vita-mix. I'm not sure though. I'm mainly into Juicing right now. I bought a black and decker juicer and it lasted all of 2 weeks and quit working....I'll be returning that one for another one since it's the smallest juicer I have found.

Most of them of just too big..it's just me and Thomas here...the small will juice 12oz at a time which is plenty since you want to drink what you juice right away.

If anyone knows of more small juicers please let me know..

Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  11:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Wow, Sherri! I don't know which is more impressive - your husband's nerve or the durability of the vita mix! I know your heart was in your throat!
Chandra - thanks for that link. I'll check it out. I haven't decided which model yet. I'm still reading up on the different models to see what the differences are.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  2:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I love my Vita Mix. I love it for soups. I make soup stock from odds and ends veggie pieces I store in the freezer and then use the stock for soup bases. I can make soup in about 10 minutes that tastes like it's been simmering all day. Also, it makes nice smooth hummus that my 6 year old is addicted to.

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  3:46:17 PM  Show Profile
oh lordy! i had one in the 70's and ADORED it .. thought it would last 'a lifetime' because of the price .. but it bellied up! i'd love another one .. thanks for the reminder! GET ONE .. you will love it! xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  3:47:29 PM  Show Profile
oh .. i did buy a 'juicer' .. a nice one .. but i HATE cleaning it .. so never use it anymore!

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  05:07:44 AM  Show Profile
Ok - I'm young - I thought Vita Mix was like a drink or something! I didn't realize it was a blender. Thus why I have a sign on my fridge that says "I only have a kitchen because it came with the house!" haha.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  05:45:40 AM  Show Profile
I love my Vita Mix. I use the dry container for tons of grinding....wheat, flax seed, beans, coffee beans and nuts. If you're wondering, I grind beans to add the "flour" to bread recipes.

It's out on the counter and baskets of fruits and vegetables are lined up. Each family member just makes their own "brew" of juice or smoothie. I like the idea that I'm getting the fiber of the food as well as the juice. The fiber content is not real "pulpy".

Fruit sorbet is made in less than a minute and helps to chase off the ice cream cravings.

The power of the motor is what makes it unique from other "blenders" or other equipment. It's a good investment if you're going to use it. But, it can also be like exercise equipment....we buy it and never use it.

Blessings
Catherine
Farmgirl Sister #76

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does anybody own a Vita-Mix? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page