Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic baking pie Next Topic  

Morning_Dew
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen
cottageville sc
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  06:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Morning_Dew a Yahoo! Message
i'm gonna be making pies for freezing and for the pickin tomorrow. peaches are everywhere here in SC so making peach pies. and i have a bunch of blueberries so will be making those also. i'll be checking back here before i start baking, feel free to add what pies you like and reciepts are always fun.

every gardener should make time for the humming BIRDS and honey BEES, stop and smell the flowers.

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  11:07:07 AM  Show Profile
I love to mix peaches and blueberries together in a pie.
Or peaches and blackberries. It just looks pretty.
I usually make it into a custard by mixing together milk, sugar and lots of eggs and pouring that over the fruit in the pie shell and then sprinkle a little sugar and cinnamon on the top or sometimes crumbs.
Ooooh man, I can taste it now
I have a big basket of peaches. Gotta make one tomorrow!
Thanks for the idea!

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  11:32:58 AM  Show Profile
Yum! Peaches are abundant here right now too and I think Sunday dinner will get a raspberry peach pie, thanks for the idea! Susan soounds like you and I have a similar recipe!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  10:17:52 PM  Show Profile
OOOH................Peaches and Cream Pie, Betty Crocker Cookbook. So good!

The raspberry peach pie sound good too. I might have to try that.

When I freeze pies I only freeze the filling. I make the filling up to the point of putting it in the shell and then spray a pie plate with non-stick cooking spray, put the filling in the pie plate, cover and freeze. After it's frozen run a little warm water over the bootom of the pie plate to release it, wrap and label as you normally would. I think they stack better this way and take up less space. When I bake the pie then I just make the crust, plunk in the frozen filling and bake as you normally would. Fast, easy and I like to make the crust fresh.

Of course this only works for fruit pies. Not custard or anything like that.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  11:41:52 PM  Show Profile
What a good idea MArcia. I am going to try that. that would save so much time. Thanks

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Morning_Dew
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen
cottageville sc
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  08:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Morning_Dew a Yahoo! Message
Marcia i read your wonderful idea in how to freeze just the filling it saved me oodles of time on making the crust. still had to have two made for the picnicy thing today, my hubby's grandmother told the head guy i would love to make pies or cakes. i love her to death and she was right i jump at the chance to cook for anyone. guess its my passion.
Susan you and i have a simalar way of making peach and blueberry pie, i swirl them in the filling it just looks so much prettier.

every gardener should make time for the humming BIRDS and honey BEES, stop and smell the flowers.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  9:57:49 PM  Show Profile
You're both very welcome =~)

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic baking pie Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page