Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 I am scared of my pressure cooker...need recipes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I am scared of my pressure cooker...need recipes Next Topic  

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  01:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I have never used one before..HELP!! I finally got one now the kids are gone..figures..
Now that I don't need quart jars of veggies, what else can i can?Someone mention chili and baked beans..recipes? Any body know a good web sight or book for canning with a PC?

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  04:45:42 AM  Show Profile
The Ball Blue Book is a great place to start. It's inexpensive and full of recipes for pressure canning and non-pressure canning.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5338.html
http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/nutrition/BJ604.html
http://extension.usu.edu/files/foodpubs/canfs01.htm
http://www.fcs.uga.edu/pubs/current/FDNS-E-37-3.html

These should get you off to a good start, along with the literature that came with the canner.

When you look at the lid of the canner you should see a pressure valve. If you accidentally build up too much pressure the lid isn't going to blow off. The pressure valve will pop and release steam from the canner instead. A pressure canner is very easy to use. Once you've used it a time or two you'll feel a lot better about it.

You don't have to use quart jars. You can put in pints and might be able to put in two layers of them.

When I do a search I usually add "university" to the keywords. If you search "pressure canning recipe university" or some combination of that you should get a lot of links.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  07:36:50 AM  Show Profile
I feel for ya, the first time we did anything in a PC I made my hubby do it and I stayed in the other room, I was petrified. My mom had scars all over her chest from canning applesauce in the oven she had glass embedded in every cut. Any way since he didn't blow up the kitchen the first time, I got brave but I took a chair into the kitchen and sat and watched that pressure valve the whole time, lol. You will get used to how your stove functions and when to turn down the heat, it just takes practice (and nerve lol)
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  09:19:19 AM  Show Profile
I second the Ball Blue Book. That's the first book I used when I got my pressure cooker. Now I use that thing for literally EVERYTHING!!. Apple crisp, cheesecake, rice, roasts, most of my chicken recipes, and the list goes on. But for canning purposes to start I recommend the Ball book. I made the pomegranate jelly out of that book and it was wonderful. Good luck!!!

Edited by - lonestargal on Aug 20 2005 09:20:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  10:00:50 AM  Show Profile
Arlene: I too sat in a chair in front of the stove to watch the pressure canner. And I was contantly adjusting the heat, up a notch-down a notch, to make sure that the pressure was in exactly the right spot. I think I was more concerned about killing someone with improperly canned vegetables than I was with the canner blowing up. And putting up all that food was a lot of work and I didn't want to have to throw anything away. Good Times.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Ahodge
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Anne
334 SW Well, Fort White FL
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  06:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Ahodge a Yahoo! Message
I thought I was the only one scared of pressure cookers...hehe. I have terrible memories of my mother exploding her's, as a child. My grandma's kitchen ceiling still bares the scars. Spaghetti sauce ceilings! :}
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  10:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
My Nana blew up applesauce..that's why I am scared too. Thanks for the resources girls, that helped alot. Now who lives close enough to come hold my trembling hand while i do the canning the first time?!
Go to Top of Page

Coffee and a Muffin
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Kim
GA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  1:45:59 PM  Show Profile
lol! I'm scared of them, too! I noticed Lehman's has one without gaskets and they claim it's much safer to use because of several features included.

http://lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=3661&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=712&iSubCat=719&iProductID=3661

I'm putting this on my wish list for next summer. All I have this summer is tomatoes and peppers which require only water bath canning, thankfully!
Go to Top of Page

Coffee and a Muffin
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Kim
GA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  1:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm, looks like the one at Lehman's is the same as this one:

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/910.htm

Cheaper, though!
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:18:13 PM  Show Profile
How likely is an explosion? I did some water bath stuff the other day for the first time in over ten years and I really enjoyed it, but I too am a little intimidated by the pressure cookers. I'd love to be able to can homemade stocks and soups, but I don't want to end up in the hospital!!

Also, is $130 about right for a pressure cooker/canner? It's cheaper than a chest freezer, but it still seems like a lot of money to me.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/

Edited by - LJRphoto on Sep 07 2005 10:21:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:27:12 PM  Show Profile
Being a Mormon,we do alot of canning. I have never known ANYONE personally in my life who has had a pressure canner blow up. I think as long as you follow the instructions to the letter it is really really safe..heck people have been doing it for a zillion years...almost. You can do it!!
You can get a pressure cooker for under $100 now. Just look for a brand you have heard of. Mine is Presto and I have used it every year, alot for more than 10 years. I also have one of my grandmas that I use for a second one if I need it that is more than 50 years old. You just have to have the dial thing checked to make sure it is acurate if you get an old one. I have not had to replace my gasket in the Presto yet. When I do need to they are very easily bought at any hardware store.
If I could do it when I was 17 alone..I KNOW you can do it Laura..it gets easier after the first time you do it and see that it is safe.
Okay..was that a good enough pep talk for you gals??? It is so fun to be able to can everything that you can't can in a water bath...opens up such possiblilities and makes you feel very independant!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:32:26 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I'm going to do it Jenny. I'll see what I can find while I am out tomorrow. I definitely feel reassured.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:38:11 PM  Show Profile
My pressure canner is All American, no gasket and I love it I can stack pints two deep, after you get that first batch done it will be a breeze, just scary with all these horror stories.As long as you read your directions and watch the pressure you will do fine. Good Luck!! Let us know how well you did!!

I was Country before Country was COOL!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  04:09:24 AM  Show Profile
I also have an All American. It has no gasket; the edges are so precise, you can use a swipe of vegetable oil to make your seal. It's important to have your guage checked every year or so; your home extension office can do it.

I see on the Lehman's site that my canner goes for $469 now!!! I can't believe it! It holds 42 quarts, and while I haven't used it in years, I'm reluctant to get rid of it. Of course, in the interim I went and bought a glass topped JennAir stove. I destroyed the wiring harness of the last stove I had with this big heavy canner; and now I see I can't use it on my JennAir. What a bummer!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I am scared of my pressure cooker...need recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page