Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Why does everyone hate Vista on computers?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Why does everyone hate Vista on computers? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  08:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I need to buy myself a laptop soon. Everything has Vista on it. So far, I haven't met anyone who didn't absolutely hate Vista. Now I don't know if I should buy a new laptop(they only have Vista) or search around for a used/older model that doesn't have Vista. Is there anything positive about it? Does anyone have opinions?
HELP....PLEASE...

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  08:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have never used Vista but from what I have heard, when it first came out there were a lot of glitches in the system. Maybe they have it worked out by now?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com" target="_blank"> http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  09:10:47 AM  Show Profile
I don't understnd why everone hates it , I have it on my computer, but don't find anything wrong with it. Now when it first came out, I do know it wouldnt work with my dads big printer, or the laser printer..but they've fixed that now. It did take some getting used to, it does look a little different, but works (I feel) pretty well the same.
And yes, all the new laptops are going to have Vista on them, unless I suppose you bought one and out a version of Windows on it(can you do that?)(I'm not a computer guru..haha)

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln
Check out my blog:http://thebellamodiste.blogspot.com/
and my Etsy store: www.shesewsbytheseashore.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  09:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
I love my vista. It did take a little getting used to but doesn't everything! It works great I feel, better than any other version of Windows I have ever had. My computer is a Gateway laptop that I got last spring and have loved it!

Denise

Proud Farmgirl Sister #113

http://mybigcityfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  09:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well, it is a whole new system to learn and it does have a lot of glitches that are still being worked out. I was in a computer class this past semester and had a heck of time converting the old MS to new MS on my computer. It does take just sitting down and learning it. Have the computer store people run through it with you.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  11:51:52 AM  Show Profile
I have vista and I love it. Everything takes getting used to.

Patricia
Proud Farmgirl Sister #19

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  2:26:39 PM  Show Profile
I just got a new computer with Vista and it works great. The guy at Best buy said the reason people were having so much trouble with it is their computers weren't new enough or big enough to handle it.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  4:19:10 PM  Show Profile
I have vista and I love it now. It was just a little different. I still am not happy with the microsoft word on vista but oh well. We did have to replace a few programs and purchase a new printer that was compatible. I still would rather have a mac but somehow hubby always wins out.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  5:49:30 PM  Show Profile
What are pro's & cons versus a mac & vista? I'm thinking of getting a new computer & have really looked at getting a mac.

Erin
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  5:51:13 PM  Show Profile
macs are great for artist etc because of their capabilities. I'd want it for artistic purposes. Plus they are easier to use and dont get viruses.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

AFMom
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  6:06:26 PM  Show Profile
I have a Laptop (HP Pavilion Entertainment PC dv9000) and it was one of the first models with Vista. It will be a year old in Feb. Now about a month after I had the computer, the Vista program did crash, but I called HP and they sent me recovery disks to redo my system at no charge. Vista was a bit aggravating at first, but not because I had to learn how to use it. The most difficult aspect is updating all my old programs to be compatible with Vista. I had to purchase a new version of Norton since the new one only had a limited time offer on the computer. I had also been using Microsoft Office Professional 2003 on my old laptop which was an XP and Office was not compatible with vista. So, I purchased Microsoft Office Professional 2007. That was a few hundred dollars for that. I also have all the Adobe products that are compatible with XP, but now I can't use them with Vista...and I haven't purchased a new version yet either. My new computer has an awesome Windows Photo manager program and I create videos and slideshows for my husband in Iraq. I can't edit the quality of the photos as well as I could with Photoshop, but the ability to create these awesome videos has been great.

I believe that any new advancement in technology will take a bit to get used to, and you will have to shell out more money to bring your other programs up to speed...but that is how it is with technology. It will continue to change and become better. With that in mind, I am very happy with Vista. If I think about it, Vista was not at all the most difficult aspect of this change, but the Microsoft Office 2007 products have been harder for me to adjust too. The Word program has the new function of ribbons and it is confusing. I dabble in writing newsletters for organizations and Publisher has changed too....that has been the hardest aspect for me to master...the new Microsoft Office programs.

Hope this helps, Erica:)
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  9:21:30 PM  Show Profile
Janice,
I am a Vista hater! My experience has seriously been one of those nightmares you hear about. The main reason people hate Vista is because it is not compatible with many printers, scanners and older software. I purchased a new Dell PC in Sept. '07 and after 3 months of trying everything you can imagine (and I do mean everything) Dell tech support finally admitted that the AIO printer they sold me (with the new computer) was not compatible with Vista. He told me the driver would be available (they hope) in April of '08 !!!! When I bought the system the salesperson assured me this was the very same package she used at home. My almost new digital camera wasn't compatible either! In many cases the drivers for software etc. are not available yet, so things won't run no matter what you do. I found all this out the hard way. Also, Vista is also known to be somewhat of a hog-running a zillion unneeded/unwanted applications. My computer has a huge hardrive and was still slow because 86 different applications ran from start-up.

Keep in mind ALL of my programs and externals are either brand new or at the most 2 years old! I have about 20k of professional programs on my machine that I am not willing to replace. I went through 2 brand new AIO printers-but it wasn't the printer.

I admit I liked the appearance of the new Vista. It was very appealing, very "Apple" looking. LOL The things that worked were user friendly. Most people complain about the many security pop ups-and they are constant. They didn't really bother me.

If you do your homework you may find something that is compatable. Ask around to see what packages/combos others have purchased. You can still order a new computer with Microsoft XP on it, although they won't tell you that or offer it to you. You'll have to request it. Or you can just buy an Apple.

All the computer geeks I talked to while going through this told me to dump Vista. I am now running happily on XP Pro. My kids (who all own Apples) just look at me sadly & repeat "shoulda bought an Apple".

Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.

Edited by - abbasgurl on Jan 14 2008 9:24:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  10:10:48 PM  Show Profile
I don't have Vista but listened to all the naysayers and was determined that I wouldn't use it. When Patricia got her new computer I just cringed because she had Vista. We went over to get it set up for her and it's fabulous! I think that they're working the bugs out of it and there are now more programs that will run on it. You can still get computers with XP. Dell offers them but you have to look for it. Personally, if I was getting a new computer I would get Vista. Within another year it will be THE operating system. When XP came out everyone said the same thing.

When I started working on computers all the programs were run in DOS. When Windows came out I had a fit and said I'd never use anything with Windows. Well - here I am 15 years later and loving Windows.

My Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Flair Etsy Team http://farmgirlsonetsy.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jan 14 2008 10:12:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  11:39:44 PM  Show Profile
well, for goodness sake .. i never heard of vista. how does it differ from xp? (i got a gateway two christmases ago .. don't think VISTA is on it) .. is that a problem for the 'future'? xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  04:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
This is all great and much needed/appreciated input. Rhonda - I just bought a digital camera, so I'll be asking my ds about the compatibility issue. In fact, there are a lot of specifics in your post that I need to think about and questions to my ds about. My boss has a MAC and I tried it and liked the keyboard touch. I guess I'm still thinking of MAC's from years ago, when THEY were the computers that were incompatible with everything else. Everyone's postings have given me lots to think about. I'm proceeding slowly and carefully. I'm going to have to live with this big budget decision for a long time.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  3:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Janice,
I laughed today when I read my "rant"! But after so much frustration I just want to save others from the same. I had two computer geek types (both ITs for big companies) work on my PC. One said "send it back!" the other said he "has never seen such a mess". I knew I was in trouble then!

One thing I found out in all of this, is that there are printers (and other externals) that say "Vista compatable"...that are not. Remember I ASKED Dell sales staff before buying. There are other extras listed as CERTIFIED Vista compatable. Those are the things Microsoft knows that DO work. So CERTIFIED compatable is what you are looking for. You can find product lists online that tell you which externals are which. I found this out after my purchase. LOL

Ever notice by the way that Dells SALES staff all speak perfect english, but their tech support is outsourced to folks in other countries who do not? I've had some really great Dell techies on the phone...just that getting to them was a major feat.

My SIL bought a nice package from HP and Vista works for her. She is only using it for basic home use with internet. Not sure how it might work with web building, photos, printing etc. You might give them a look.

I know everyone hated XP when it came out, for much the same reasons they hate Vista. Vista is in a similar place right now. Give it a year and you will run Vista with no problem. But for now I personally would stay away from it. Don't know why they release these operating systems before thay are ready...OK I know, but think it stinks. LOL

I purchased my computer with Vista pre installed, but eventually "squeaked" to Dell so much they GAVE me a copy of XP-Pro. So I own both now and will eventually upgrade to Vista if/when they get the kinks out. You can always install XP and "upgrade" later. Not sure what the Vista program runs $$$, but it's a thought.

I opted for Dell, rather than Apple, because my website was built on a Microsoft format. I didn't want to change everything over. Silly me! Yes, you are thinking of Apple as it was years ago. My how things have changed.

I totally understand living with your purchase for a looong time! I earned the money with my handcrafted things to buy this computer-we had the old one ten years! Proceeding carefully is very wise. I wish you luck with whatever you buy!

OK...hand over mouth, hitting "submit reply" now.

Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.

Edited by - abbasgurl on Jan 15 2008 3:42:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  3:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Janice - I'm sure there won't be a compability issue with your camera and the computer. Patricia is using my old Sony camera on her computer with Vista and it works great. And the picture manager in Vista is awesome!

My Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Flair Etsy Team http://farmgirlsonetsy.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  3:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That's good to hear. One of the main reasons I bought the camera was so I can take pics of my daylilies this summer and eventually import them to a website. I need to make a list of all my questions/concerns and print this thread to show my ds. Thanks, Kay

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

New England
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Hannah
Hardyville ky
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  5:18:44 PM  Show Profile
I agree with all of you who have, and really like the new VISTA program. My son gave me a new computer last year for my birthday, not only did I need one but he wanted me to have the Vista program and get set up....which also meant buying a new printer (which he also did) mine was quite dated and I am really enjoying this combination scanner, copier and printer.

There are many reasons for the new Microsoft Vista, seems like I remember my son saying M'soft objective with Visa has first been to improve the security in Window's operating system which has not been good. There are hundreds of other reasons of course. I really like the new Microsoft Windows, I can do so many things with my new project.

I have taught myself just about everything I needed to know and believe me when I tell you I do not do well with any kind of technology. My family keeps telling me to just read, try and figure things out - it's all there. Almost everyday I try to learn something new.
I guess the Vista will be like T.V. Soon there will be no Plasma available, they will all be HD - and so on and so on and so on!

Hannah

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  6:41:45 PM  Show Profile
Well you know about Bevis and Butthead now I am Butthead, Hannah keeps telling me how much better I would like the Vista , she has had it for over a year and I am still struggling along, I think she is going to give up on me , I really believe I am more adapted to an old 60s sewing machine than computers

I am a farm girl married to a sewing machine

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  8:44:49 PM  Show Profile
I hate hate hate hate hate Vista. Did I say that I hate it? I guess the main reason is trying to switch to the different folders, etc. I liked in XP when you wanted to go to another folder while a folder is open, you had the pull down window at the top that shows all your drives, etc. Now it takes more clicks. I only like where you can view the photos at various sizes in the preview. I've had a lot of compatibility issues with stuff that had on the box that it was compatible, but it worked fine with older stuff. Some of my software will crash when you least expect it. I've used computers since I was a wee little Jess and I have to say that Vista is not friendly if you do a lot with the computer. Hopefully they will get the bugs fixed very soon.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Why does everyone hate Vista on computers? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page