The Farmers Daughter
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Sherry
LeRoy Kansas
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  07:05:12 AM  Show Profile
In this day and age of high prices I would like to hear other farm women's ways of saving money. Mine are probably like most of you...We do our cooking from scratch, buy food in bulk, hang clothes out to save on electricity, buy as many clothes as we can from yard sales, ect... I do have a couple of other ideas to share. I had a very dear friend who had ELEVEN children and a husband who made good money but not THAT good. I asked her one time how she ever stood never being able to eat out. Her reply got me to thinking...She said twice a week when she was cooking their supper she would make TWO of the same main course and TWO of the same desserts. She would then freeze these extra. She said after the first month went by of doing this on Sunday they would always plan their meals around something that was in the freezer. She had no work because it was just a question of popping it in the oven so it was really like eating out without the expense!!!! SMART WOMAN!!! Another good idea I have is for vacations....Instead of spending your money on a real vacation why not spend it on something you can do more than once a year...Build a small building on your land and turn it into a "get-away". You could make one area the "bedroom" and then have a sofa that pulls out for the kids or bunk beds against one wall. Pack your food like you were camping out (Ok, you might have to run into the house for the bathroom but that's no big deal!) and make it a vacation spot that could be used once a month or when ever you felt like you need to "get away" from it all and not have to worry about the cost of gas, motels or food! Now that I've shared some of my ideas, I would really like to hear yours. Let's see how much money we really can save and still live the lives we want to live!!!! Hugs to All,

Sher, The Farmer's Daughter
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Money Saving Ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page