Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Do bunnies purr? Next Topic  

Earthmama
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Louisville KY
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  6:11:14 PM  Show Profile
This may sound strange, but I have two angora bucks and when I groom them (about once a week) I find their sweet spot on their cheeks and rub them like you would a cat, and I swear I feel a low rumbling from them, and even a little faint kneading movement from their paws. Am I freaking them out or are they happy? I have noticed them rubbing their cheeks on furniture and stuff...do they have scent glands like a cat does?
By the way, these bunnies are CUTE. They are almost 6 months old and very big. And, even though they are both bucks, they still live together and groom each other and spray the hell out of each other. And they've given me a big box of hair, just waiting to be spun into some yummy yarn.

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  8:32:05 PM  Show Profile
I used to have rabbits and I think they do make a noise like a purr. I think does make the sound to their babies.
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  9:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Rabbits sometimes grind their teeth when they are happy and it sounds like purring! You must be doing something right.

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers! ~John Muir
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  9:39:45 PM  Show Profile
Purring rabbit?
Rabbits can make a purring noise by grinding their teeth. A quiet tooth purr means you have a happy rabbit. A louder crunchy type of teeth grinding can indicate that your rabbit is in pain. To determine what your rabbit is telling you, look at the rabbits eyes (are they wide open, or closed as if relaxed) and the rabbits body language (hunched and uncomfortable looking, or relaxed and calm). Small things like this let you know when a rabbit is not feeling well.

Why do rabbits rub their chins on things?
Marking Scent

Rabbits have scent glands under their chin and will rub their scent glands on almost everything in order to claim ownership and mark territory. Even people can be marked. People cannot smell the scent so there is no need to be concerned.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  10:24:16 PM  Show Profile
Yep..my angoras have done that. Especially when being groomed. All but Toby, my buff french angora buck I have now. He is just the most awful bunny ever! I have never had such a mean nasty rabbit!! He attacks and scratches and bites and makes it hard to groom him properly. He is 5 and 1/2 years old and will no doubt live forever since he is so darn mean!! I look forward to the girls starting their rabbit project for 4H in the spring. I love angoras but I think they plan to get mini rex or some other short haired breed.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2008 :  1:59:12 PM  Show Profile
I had a house/classroom bunny for a while, and she would do the toothgrinding/purring thing when you pet her head for a while.

She did one really funny thing-we were doing an emergency lockdown drill at school-the kids had to hide along one side of the room and be completely silent. Bertha (the bunny) must have picked up on the vibes, because she began stomping one of her back legs on the floor of her cage-like she was warning all the other "bunnies" that something was wrong! It was so hard not to laugh!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2008 :  5:20:17 PM  Show Profile
I used to have a big white rabbit named Lily who thumped her big back feet all night long every time she heard a noise..my that was hard! She was silent all day, but I think she heard things in the night and was concerned. Chirping bunnies I havn't heard.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Do bunnies purr? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page