Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  2:01:16 PM  Show Profile
My main issue is that whenmy clothes come out of the dryer they don't smell much cleaner than when I put them in. They smell clean when I take them out of the washer and put them in the dryer, but something happens in there. In the past, I've used fabric softener in the washer, as well as dryer sheets, but still no clean smell. Right now I'm using homemade fels naptha detergent and vinegar in the washer, and a dryer sheet in the dryer, and even with all those things the clothes don't smell any kind of clean- the best I can say is that they don't smell dirty. All I can think of is that my hose might need cleaning... any ideas? ( I do clean the filter every time I use the dryer...)

Thanks-
Kim in NC

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  2:13:36 PM  Show Profile
Several months ago I too noticed my clothes were taking forever to dry and they came out smelling a bit like mildew. Damp mildew. Thought my dryer was the problem although it was only 2 yrs old. I too clean the filter out after every load. I was outside in my back yard one day doing some gardening.As I was putting pinestraw around some shrubs that are next to the outside dryer vent I noticed one of the little flaps that opens up to let the air out had fallen off and when I went to snap it back in I found out what my problem was. Birds had gotten into the dryer exhaust hose that leads to the outside and had built nest's in it. I pulled out all that I could reach and there was more backed way inside. It was stopped up. I called a company that cleans out ductwork.They came out with a truck with a long vacuum hose connected and it sucked everything out completely. It was packed full.My problem was solved.
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  9:19:30 PM  Show Profile
If that doesn't work, and you think it smells inside your dryer. Place crumpled newspapers inside and shut the door for a few days. (It goes without saying NOT to turn it on) The newspapers should absorb the smell. You may have to repeat with fresh papers a couple of times depending on the strength of the odor.
I had to try this with a dryer someone gave to me. It worked like a charm and I got a two year old-hardly used dryer for free.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  10:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Please remember to wash your dryer screens at least once a month more often if you use dryer sheets. Remains of laundry soap and fabric softener cling to the screens and that can cause a longer dryer time. Also possible dryer smell and burn out. Wash the screens with soap, water and soft brush if need be. Rinse well. You will be surprised at how much residue is left behind. The first time I did it the water just laid on top of the screen and did not run through it when I tried rinsing it.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic cleaning dryer vents Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page