True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  12:10:12 PM  Show Profile
and leftovers?

Last night DH and I went to the store and got a 9# pork roast. When we were putting the groceries away, he asked where I wanted it and I told him out in the other refrigerator (in our garage). Well, he must have heard "deep freeze" instead, so today at 2:00 when I went to get it out of the fridge and start supper, it was frozen. And I really want pork roast! So, my original intention was to cut it in half and roast half now and freeze the other. But, I got it partially thawed but not enough to cut it, so I decided to just go ahead and cook the whole darn thing.

Well, after dirtying three pans trying to find one it fit in, it is now in the oven roasting away with chunks of garlic stuffed inside. But I am having a hard time thinking of what to serve with it. Any suggestions?

Also...we will have a lot of leftovers, so what should be done with those? I have thought of barbecue, but anything else? I seem to remember some kind of Mexican soup using pork roast, so I may have to google that.

My house is starting to smell lovely!

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  12:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Let's see...with pork roast, I usually do fresh green beans, wild rice, fried apples-something "sweet" and something "savory" always works out nicely.

Barbecue is great for leftover pork roast. Also, slice it thin and make some kindof melt sandwiches under the broiler--I like pork with gouda, and a cilantro lime mayo....

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  12:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I was going to suggest something with apples too- I have eaten something that was apples, bacon and some sweet onions, fried up!!! Yumm...

Leftovers- I like to do pulled pork sandwiches. I just put the leftover, cut up, in a slow cooker with bbq, onions, and season to your particular taste. Then, get some nice crusty rolls and serve them open face. YUMMMY!!!!

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  12:34:42 PM  Show Profile
We used to either have acorn squash (the kind already pureed that is frozen) or mashed potatoes & sometimes both. My DH always liked applesauce for him to dip in.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  9:38:49 PM  Show Profile
Scolloped Potatoes, Roasted onions,with garlic & rosemary, any winter squash to fill the oven. Sounds divine....

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  06:32:48 AM  Show Profile
Well, it was delicious! We had the roast, rosemary roasted potatoes, homemade applesauce, cottage cheese and salad. Now for all the leftovers....We invited one of our friend's father over for dinner since he lives alone, so that helped alot, too. It is fun having him over because you know he really appreciates it.

Kelly, I have never seen acorn squash that way in our stores. How is it packaged?
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  11:19:11 AM  Show Profile
I always take the leftover pork roast, shred it up, toss it in BBQ sauce, and serve it on sandwiches. DH loves loves loves that stuff and it doesn't go to waste.

my personal site: http://thecatholicwife.com
my business website: http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
Go to Top of Page

AFMom
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  11:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Toni,

Next time make Saurkraut and Pork....yummmy. Serve it with mashed potatoes and fresh cooked string beans. I also chop up an onion to small pieces and sprinkle the onion onto of my saurkraut, pork and mashed potatoes before I eat. So Good! If you don't like Saurkraut, I understand. Hugs, Erica PS...I'm hungry!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  1:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Leftover pork roast, with a nice green sauce makes great burritos too. Or you could do chili verde..yum!! I always shred, add bbq sauce and serve the sandwiches on french rolls. Boy, pork roast sounds good!! And saurkraut..yum!! That too!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  1:42:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Erica, I love sauerkraut! That would have been great last night, too. Have you ever had it on pizza? I never had, but we went to a make-your-own pizza night at my DH's cousins, and they had it. First I thought it was a joke, but when I tried it, it was fabulous. It sounds gross, but yummo! I thought for sure they were the only ones that had come up with that combo, but one of my cousins was talking about how he hated making sauerkraut pizzas when he was in HS and worked at a pizza place. I guess it might be more of a Northern thing, as one was from Wisconsin and the other from Iowa.

Yeah, I am thinking I want to do something Mexican with the leftovers, but I packed all my cookbooks last weekend, so I may just have to get creative. Those burritos sound awesome, Aunt Jenny!
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  4:39:28 PM  Show Profile
That is a main problem I have
Most time I can have a main thing
But,it is the sides that gets me
Now, I am Diabetic, and high blood pressure, plus other conditons
My hubby has high blood pressure
It is always a challenge to find something new that we both can eat.
Wow is us. Ha. Pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AFMom
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2008 :  01:53:37 AM  Show Profile
Sauerkraut pizza's....I have never had that! I will have to ask around up here and see if it is possible to try something like that at a pizza restaurant. Sometimes I will take sauerkraut and serve it with hot dogs instead of pork..usually beef hotdogs and make mashed potatoes too. My kids are not big bread eaters and prefer to eat the dogs plain...so it all works and they love it...I do too, because it is so simple.

My family loves mexican food too. I make homemade beef enchiladas too, but I bet pork would be just as yummy. Or barbeque with pulled pork...ok, it is almost 5am here and I am considering bypassing eggs for breakfast and moving right on to lunch:) Hugs, Erica
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2008 :  05:07:44 AM  Show Profile
Sauerkraut and hot dogs is the only meal that I can ever remember my dad making for us when we were little. It only happened once, so I guess that's why it was so memorable :) I don't know why my mom was gone, but my dad just does not do stuff in the kitchen. He has gotten a little better now, though.

Yeah, I thought sauerkraut on pizzas was a joke, but apparently it's popular. I have never seen it here in Indiana. Do your kids mind eating sauerkraut? My husband says he hates it, but yet he likes Reuben sandwiches and admitted he liked the pizza, too. He's odd....

Have a great day!
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2008 :  07:23:46 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Erica I am hungry

Linda