Page: of 5

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2004 :  3:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Hello girl friends! I moved my bookshelf today and in the process came across some of my favorite reads in recent years and thought I'd share them with you. They are an eclectic mix and ditto on the topics, but I'm such a curious person, always wanting to learn new ideas that they really appealed to me. Here they are:

THE RED TENT a novel by Anita Diamant: A synopsis: "Her name is Dinah. In the Bible, her life is only hinted at in a brief and violent detour within the more familiar chapters about her father, Jacob, and his dozen sons in the Book of Gensis. Told in Dinah's voice, this novel reveals the traditions and turmoil of ancient womanhood - the world of the red tent. It begins with the story of her mothers-Leah, Rachel, Zilpah, and Bilhah - the four wives of Jacob. They love Dinah and give her gifts that are to sustain her through a hard working youth, a calling to midwifery, and a new home in a foreign land. Dinah's story reaches out from a remarkable period of early history and creates an intimate, immediate connection. Deeply affecting, THE RED TENT combines rich storytelling with a valuable achievement in modern fiction: a new view of biblical women's society."

THE DANCE OF THE DISSIDENT DAUGHTER, by Sue Monk Kidd (an auto-biography). Synopsis: "In the late 1980's, Kidd experienced an unexpected awakening, one that brought her into conflict with every aspect of her former life. She began a journey toward a feminine spirituality. With the exceptional storytelling skills that have helped make her name, Kidd tells her very personal tale of the fear, anger, healing and freedom she experienced on the path toward the wholeness that women have lost within the patriarchial faith traditions."

THE CAMINO, a Journey of the Spirit, by Shirley MacLaine: (My note: No matter how kooky you may think Shirley is, she is a very real woman with more than a lifetime of experiences, which I find fascinating!) From the introduction: "There is a famous pilgrimage that has been taken by people for centuries called the Santiago de Compostela Camino across northern Spain. It is said that the 'Camino' lies directly under the Milky Way and follows ley lines that reflect the energy from those star systems above it... The Santiago Camino has been traversed for thousands of years by saints, sinners, generals, misfits, kings, and queens. It is done with the intent to find one's deepest spiritual meaning, and resolutions regarding conflicts in Self...On my journey westward along the Camino, I felt I was traveling backward in time to a place that began the experiences that made me and the human race what we have become today."

Great summer reading!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural

Edited by - Clare on Jul 05 2004 3:14:26 PM

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2004 :  5:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi all readers,

I have read The Red Tent - found it to be very interesting to say the least. For those "older" readers you might enjoy "The Gazebo" by Emily Grayson, it's about two lovers kept apart for various reasons who meet once a year for 50 years at the same spot (hence the title). I won't spoil the ending for you! If you're looking for country property please be sure to read "It Takes a Village Idiot", which is a comic and true story of a city couple who buy a "farm" in the country (wife's idea) and eventually make the move there permanently. Very funny book. Another must for middle aged women is "The Florabama Ladies' Auxiliary and Sewing Circle" by Lois Battle, about a wife whose husband leaves her to "find himself" after 30 or so years of marriage. (ps the wife survives it very well!). If the heat gets to you read "Cold" by John Smolens. And for all of us who wish for the simpler life, how about "The Simple Living Guide" by Janet Lahrs. All good stuff. Pleasant reading.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  3:29:15 PM  Show Profile
I love the Red Tent! My daughter and I were just talking about rereading it. I will look into some of the other books, my reading list just keeps getting longer every day. It Takes a Village Idiot sounds like something I'd like to read with my husband, we used to read to each other in bed in the evenings, but have fallen out of the habit, maybe we'll start up again. Has anyone read Barbara Kingsolver's books? I love Animal Dreams and the Bean Trees especially. And my all time favorite book is The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, it's Arthurian, so it's for those who love a fantasy.

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  11:49:58 PM  Show Profile
I have read all of Barbara Kingsolver's books that I have found. I loved the Bean trees too.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2004 :  8:22:53 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, yes, I've read the Mist of Avalon and there is also a movie out that you can rent or perhaps find at the library. I can't say it a favorite, because I don't like that genre (fantasy), but it was a good read anyway. A bit long too. I've only read Prodigal Summer by B. Kingsolver and I did enjoy it very much. Right now I'm between books, waiting for some from the library, and going through books I own but haven't read yet. For a while I belonged to one of those book clubs where you get free books, and I haven't read them all yet!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2004 :  8:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Kingsolver also wrote The Poisonwood Bible. It is a work of art. The book club I belong to thought it was the best book we have ever shared, and it created some great discussion.

Recently finished The Patron Saint of Liars....by the author who wrote Bel Canto. I cannot remember the name right now. Currently I am reading Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. She writes about the Appalachian area and it's history.

I would recommend any of these for good enjoyable reading.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2004 :  11:09:29 PM  Show Profile
I love reading about the Appalachian area and will have to search for Ghost Riders..that sounds like my kind of book.
I never did read The Poisonwood Bible. Maybe I should!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2004 :  11:18:50 PM  Show Profile
Got Ghost Riders at the library today...hooray..it was worth the trip with 5 kids even! Now I won't get anything else done but reading!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2004 :  11:47:17 AM  Show Profile
Enjoy, Jenny! I really liked the book. Five kids to the library? What a woman!

Here is another suggestion to all who love to read. "Where the Light Remains" by Hayden Gabriel. It is about country life in Cornwall, England. It flips back and forth between now and a century ago as the story unfolds about two women who lived in the same farmhouse a hundred years apart.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2004 :  2:02:25 PM  Show Profile
For anyone "down South" I recommend "The Clearing", a period piece by Tim Gautreaux; it's about a Louisiana mill town after W.W.I, and the man who tried to run the mill. For those living in the Northwest, try "The Living" by Annie Dillard. Find the paperback - the picture on the cover just about tells you what it will be like.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  12:05:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi fellow readers! I am in the middle of another book I think you all will love too. It is called "Wish You Well" by David Baldacci. He is an author who writes political novels, like Absolute Power and Total Control, but this is a definite change from his normal genre.

I am loving it. It takes place in 1940, when two children from New York City must go to live with their great-grandmother in the hills of Virginia. It is great.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  9:10:54 PM  Show Profile
THAT one I have read. It was so good!!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

imafarmin
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Janet
Grants Pass OR
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  08:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Send imafarmin a Yahoo! Message
I read "Wish you well" too! I really enjoyed it!

Barbara Kingsolver cannot write fast enough for me! Love her writing! The Poisonwood Bible is the last book of her's that I read and it was truly a work of art as jpbluesky said.

Janet

Burst your bud of calm and bloom into hysteria :-).
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Tracy
Amherst NH
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  1:01:20 PM  Show Profile
Okay ladies...have any of you tried Lisa Carey's The Mermaids Singing? About the relationship of three generations of women of Irish descent and their self-discovery. A beautiful and moving book. She has another, I've forgotten the title, but it is also about Irish-Americans and has to do with a man haunted by the ghost of a little girl. The girl died while escaping the potato famine. Interesting concepts in that one. And just to push you in another direction you MUST read Pastries. About the life of an Indian-American woman pastry chef. Yummmmm.

Pieces of the moon dancing
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  1:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Tracy! I'll check these out! Good to have you participating!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  1:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Just finished "The Wedding" by Nicholas Sparks, author of "The Notebook". This is a sequel, and it is a great book. Easy to read, and a wonderful story for anyone, especially those who have been married 20+ years. Tears are involved, but no great crisis or heartbreak!

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  6:12:10 PM  Show Profile
I am reading "Wringers"..has anyone else read it? I am loving it so far..really well written. I have "The Wedding" on my list to read soon too....I loved the Notebook!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  11:07:21 PM  Show Profile
And the list of books to read grows!!! Barbara Kingslover also has two books of essays. They are both thought provoking and wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2004 :  08:02:46 AM  Show Profile
Okay..more for my list.. I didn't know about those!! Isn't it nice that there are always more good books available????

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2004 :  11:51:38 PM  Show Profile
"Where else is human nature so weak as in a book store?"
Henry Ward Beecher (1813-1887)

Henry was right.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2004 :  09:49:58 AM  Show Profile
I went to the library yesterday and found the B. Kingsolver book of Essays called "Small Wonder Essays" on sale in the "book sale" section for $1!!!! Hooray! CAn't wait to read it. And boy do I agree that Henry was so right!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2004 :  1:04:44 PM  Show Profile
Her other book of essays is "High Tide in Tucson". You scored with the dollar "Small Wonders"!!! I love reading books of essays and short stories because I can feel like I finished something:)
Enjoy!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2004 :  7:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirlfriends,

Back from vacation and boy did I find an eclectic book. We stopped at an antique store, which was in an unused schoolhouse. Filled to the brim with antiques, junk, etc. I found a book entitled "Cecelia, a Tale of Modern Rome" Well I just had to get that ($7). It's from 1904. I have another book entitled "Cecelia" which was written in the early 1800's and I never did finish that one - it's over 500 pages and written in somewhat archaic language, with 30 word sentences, etc. I'm curious to see what the "newer" book is like - it's shorter, a hardcover novel. Should be an interesting read!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2004 :  7:43:49 PM  Show Profile
fun to have out on your coffee table as a conversation piece for sure too, Cecelia!! How neat!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Tracy
Amherst NH
10 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2004 :  12:59:25 PM  Show Profile
Ladies I just finished another fun one called "The Probable Future" by Alice Hoffman. Three generations of New England women though 300 years of family history show up also.

Pieces of the moon dancing
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2004 :  9:23:10 PM  Show Profile
Ooooh That sounds good too! I splurged and bought "The secret life of Bees" today at Barnes and Noble. It was 20% off and thats my exuse..haha. I am going to start reading it tonight. Husband brought home 5 boxes of peaches from a co-workers trees that are ripe..NOW so I have alot of canning to do tomorrow..I will have my herb tea and reading tonight.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Reading Room: Previous Topic Eclectic Reading Corner... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page