Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 New Canadian Member
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic New Canadian Member Next Topic  

Stellaraye
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stella
Grande-Digue NB
Canada
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  07:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Stellaraye an ICQ Message
G'Day, Everyone!

I'm a poet/herbalist farmgirl at heart from the Canadian east coast. I live in Moncton, NB, but my (hopefully-soon-to-be-realised) dream is returning to live permanently in Australia with my Aussie DH. While in Halifax yesterday I happened upon MaryJane'sFarm magazine and instantly fell in love! What a joy to read that there was an online forum!

I was raised on a farm and the Earth's/Nature's green chlorophyll runs in my blood. I love all things Herbal, with or without flowers, organic, handcrafted, grown or created. Though my native land is Canada, the enchanting land of Australia has captured my heart and soul while I lived there for three and a half years. Once Immigration gives me the OK, I will go back and we will make our home/farm in the most natural, self-sustaining way possible. The "earthship" style is very appealing to us and we want to modify it to suit the hot climate.

Once I get back to Aus, do you think I can start a FarmGirl Chapter there? I don't know how long I will be staying in Canada, so I feel it's redundant starting one here at this time.

Anyone else interested in Herbs, Earthships and Green Poetry?
touch a flower today
hear its song
Stellaraye

"Some of us take half our lives to awaken." Colleen McCullough

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  5:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Welocme to our farmgirl site. Each forum is full of wonderful information, encouragement, and acceptance.

I have begun growing herbs and love having them . I am a novice and would love to learn more. I am in Southwest Louisiana and several friends share their experience with me. I am so proud of my herbs they are my "babies" Please don't picture fields of herbs...They are in containers.

What is earthships and green pottery? I strongly encourage you to start a chapter when you return home. We are doing the same thing down here in Louisiana and it seem to be jelling.

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  11:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Stella, when the Manuka journal comes to me I can pass it on to you if you would like. If you wish to have a separate Australian chapter Helen and I will be happy.

Go to Top of Page

Stellaraye
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stella
Grande-Digue NB
Canada
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  05:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Stellaraye an ICQ Message
Hi Linda ~
Herbs are not only my 'funnest' projects, they have made my life so much healthier and worth living! I make tinctures out of them (with half brandy, half distilled water) and take them daily for allergies, fibromyalgia, insomnia, menopause, mental acuity, pain, migraines, depression and anxiety. I grow them all myself except the Siberian Ginseng root and the Stinging Nettle leaves, both of which I buy in bulk. Oh, and the Brahmi, too, which I get from Australia.
How's the climate in Southwest Louisiana? What's your gardening zone? You are probably able to grow many herbs in your garden that I can only grow in containers or as annuals. What kind are you growing now?
I started being interested in wildflowers when I was 10 or 12, and that intense identification frenzy came in mighty handy when I studied weeds and ornamental horticulture in college years and years later. Now my interest is mainly in the medicinal value of plants, but I do enjoy growing all kinds of plants: annuals, perennials, specimen trees and shrubs, houseplants, and of course, herbs!
An earthship is a house that you build partly underground with recycled materials, such as car tires (tyres) and empty aluminum cans. It contains large planters for food-plant production, its own solar power and water systems, including cisterns to hold rain water. They are relatively cheap to build, esp. if you do it yourself. The rammed -earth tires form a passive mass that keeps the heat in the winter and cools the house in the summer. A man by the name of Michaels has patented the systems and building plans, so we use the term "Earth House" because his name for the "Earthship" is a registered name and can only be used if you buy the materials from his/their company.
As for 'green poetry,' I meant Does anyone write verse/nonfiction related to the Earth, Nature or Gardening?
I am happy to have found MJFarmgirl!
Stella Raye

Go to Top of Page

Stellaraye
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stella
Grande-Digue NB
Canada
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  05:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Stellaraye an ICQ Message
Hi FloralSaucer!
I would love to have news of your Chapter, the more, the merrier!
And when I do migrate back to my Soul Home, as I call it, I would love to meet you and anyone else who loves being a FarmGirl.
I posted some questions on the Welcome Wagon forum, but I have more!
How long has your Chapter been going on? How many members so far? Where does Helen live? Do you meet often and what sort of activities do you do? I'm greatly interested in being part of a network of people who grow/produce organic foods, especially herbs and alternative crops. Any such organisation or people doing this in the region where you live?
HooRoo!
Stella Raye

Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic New Canadian Member Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page