True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  12:26:14 PM  Show Profile
bread?

Right now ours is in a jumble on the end of the counter next to the fridge and I hate it! I am going to try to make more of our bread products from scratch and so I think they deserve a special home.

I have googled bread boxes, but haven't really fallen in love with one yet. I found one at the Vermont Country Store that looks cool, with a rack inside, but it is hard to tell from the pic if I will like it enough, as it's kinda pricey.

So what do you all use?

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  12:30:08 PM  Show Profile
I use a stainless steel breadbox that was my grans. It's got a red bakelite handle. It also has a shelf, and I keep cookies in there, too. It's just the two of us, so I don't really keep huge loaves of bread around, but I always have at least 2-3 baguettes or sour dough on hand, that goes in there, too.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  1:01:29 PM  Show Profile
I have an old 1950's breadbox that I have had for probably 30 years. IT is white with red and green and big red apples on it. It has two "layers" with two doors. I love it!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  1:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Mine goes into the Hoosier, behind the "rolling" doors. I used to put it in the Hoosier BREAD DRAWER, but that was a challenge too great for my family to remember! :) If I had more counter space, I'd find me one of those cool old tin ones...
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  1:34:24 PM  Show Profile
I must be the really strange one here..I put ours in the refrigerator... fresh baked bread stays on the stove, near the back..on a serving plate with a knife..covered with saran. It's usually gone by the end of the day with my crew anyhow..ha.
But the storebought stuff we tend to keep in the fridge. Dunno why..we just do.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  2:12:25 PM  Show Profile
toni I do the same as you so I am of no help here.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  2:53:29 PM  Show Profile
i use the freezer! in fact i refer to the freezer as my bread box... i am able to use all my bread up and am no longer feeding the birds with too stale bread for human consumption. No one need worry about the birds...I still feed them, just birdseed, etc... love, karen
quote:
Originally posted by lovelady

bread?

Right now ours is in a jumble on the end of the counter next to the fridge and I hate it! I am going to try to make more of our bread products from scratch and so I think they deserve a special home.

I have googled bread boxes, but haven't really fallen in love with one yet. I found one at the Vermont Country Store that looks cool, with a rack inside, but it is hard to tell from the pic if I will like it enough, as it's kinda pricey.

So what do you all use?

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  9:17:00 PM  Show Profile
Our bread is in a drawer. I don't have any counter space for a bread box in this kitchen, got rid of it from the last place we lived. I did like it though. Excess bread goes in the freezer.

Angie

Firefighter Stairclimb March 2nd- Help me help others by donating on my fundraising page. https://www.active.com/donate/17thscottstairclimb/angieriggsby
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4192 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4192 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  04:33:26 AM  Show Profile
I have a bread box too, that was my husbands grandma's. Nothing real fancy, and did not really have the counter room, but it is handy.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  05:38:30 AM  Show Profile
A nice basket with a lid, or just a nice basket for the bread you will be using. Freeze the rest. Just double wrap it.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  06:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I use these neat "bread bags" I got from The Good Cook bookclub. They are draw string cloth bags with a special lining (?) that keeps the bread fresh. They also can be used to rejuvenate crusty bread, by sprinkling a little water in it with the bread and zapping it in the micro. I love them, especially for french bread and sourdough. The cheap store bought white bread goes in the frig.
Oh yeah, I hang them from the bakers rack to keep them off the counter.
I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon

Edited by - chicken necker on Jan 08 2008 06:08:54 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How do you store your Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page