UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  10:54:19 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have equine insurance on their horses? I was thinking about insuring my horse and I got a quote back for Mortality/Theft/major surgical and medical $10,000 aggregate coverage $500 deductible and no co pay per claim for $309.00 per year. I'm not sure if this is a good price or if anyone else has horse insurance. I'm planning on showing my Missouri Fox Trotter and also doing NATRC competative trail riding so I thought insurance would be a good choice.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  11:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have a friend who owns a horse ranch and she always carries insurance on her adult horses, but not on the babies. She carries Major Medical but not surgical because Major Medical will cover surgeries, but surgery will only cover if the horse has to be under.
I can double check with her again about what else she does or doesn't carry.

I would carry insurance, personally. You never know when a horse will colic, get an injury from stepping in a hole, get pigeon fever etc. And Vet bills can add up fast!

By the way- Welcome back! We haven't seen you around these parts for a while! How is your new horse? How does you daughter like her? Hope all is well!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog: http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Jan 04 2008 11:04:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  5:12:04 PM  Show Profile
I've never had insurance. I know that there may come a day when I could end up with a whopping vet bill, but to be honest, I'd put a horse down before putting myself into debt over it.

You're saying a $500 deductible, plus $300 a year. That's $800 if your horse gets injured the first year out of pocket. If it doesn't get injured, then you're going to be adding to that by $300 every year. Can you put money aside instead? Most vets, if you've got a good relationship, will offer a payment plan for something big.

So far, the only thing my horses have cost me over the past however many years has been minimal. In 2007, one filly needed to be sedated for a hoof trim, and that total bill came to nearly $300, which included the farrier. My daughter's horse has a pretty decent injury to her head, and so far has cost $100 in meds. If both of these horses had been insured, I'd be out both the vet fees and $600 in insurance money, and the deductible would still not be met. Something to think about...

Mesteno Wild Horse Photogrpahy
http://mesteno.blogspot.com

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  8:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I also think the horse insurance that you were quoted is very high. I would shop around. I will try and get you some more information after tomorrow when I talk with my horsey friends.

I guess it depends on what your horse does. Their horses are show horses and any blemish on their skin is to worry over for show. If you just have a ranch or pleasure horse I wouldn't worry about it, but if it is a halter show horse I would.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog: http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  3:00:27 PM  Show Profile
Well as for showing I'm just going to show her once or twice per year in smaller shows. I'm not ready for Ava, Mo Celebration and I don't think she would like it anyway. As for halter class that is the category she does best in. I'm really going to use her as a NATRC horse for competative trail. She is really starting to come along as a trail horse and is doing well. I'll do some shopping as well, I'm not sure if it's worth the cost or if we should just put a fund together as her horsey fund.

Alee- as for my new horse, "Charm" is doing great. She is going for some training on the 16th for about 30-45 days to learn how to ground tie, side pass, and all that other good stuff that NATRC horses can do. So I'm taking her up to a trainer in TN about 3hours from my house near Sparta, TN. My daughter and she just get along great. And she is turning into a good horse for me. She loves trail riding.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  09:14:26 AM  Show Profile
I have used insurance in the past and didn't like it. I paid a fixed amount based on her job description and then had a $250 deductible PER EACH OCCURANCE, which is typical in equine insurance. That means every single time something happens, you pay the front $250. She had major medical as well as mortality. I took her in for some routine lameness stuff and was furious when the insurance company wouldn't clear the vet to give freaking ADEQUAN. Wanted them to give something cheaper. That was the LAST year I bothered with insurance.

I have some very expensive horses, but I keep enough in savings to replace them and to pay the big colic surgery bill should it be necessary. I don't want to have to wait on some stupid insurance company to give the surgeon the go-ahead, or to interfere in the decisionmaking the two of us have. It's MY horse, MY risk. Over the years it's been no trouble saving the money because I haven't had to pay stupid fruitless insurance premiums.

This is a hot button for me, can you tell? *wink*

Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  4:51:38 PM  Show Profile
Mary Ann, that's crazy! Seems equine insurance is a bit of a gimmick and a great money maker out there for someone (just not the horse owner!)

Mesteno Wild Horse Photogrpahy
http://mesteno.blogspot.com

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  09:27:08 AM  Show Profile
I've never carried insurance nor any of my clients that I'm aware of. I have had friends whose horses were covered under their homeowners insurance but that's been years ago and the times have changed. But check anyway as the horse is a 'pet'. No harm in checking.

If I had a horse that was THAT bad I would put them down and have done so in the past. I do almost all my own vet work and only use a vet for things I can't do myself...such as coggins. I can jug a horse but can't do all the follow-up so have to use the vet for that.

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  2:27:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your replys. I think we are just going to have a horsey fund. Most of the vet work the vet I work for said she will do for me. Vaccines, health certificates and coggins. Anything else I will definately call my horse vet.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Equine Insurance Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page