Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  2:22:31 PM  Show Profile
Here is my simple spray cleaner recipe. I have dabbled for years with homemade cleaners, laundry detergents, etc, stopping short of actually making soap. This is the one I have made again and again because it is so easy and works fine. Let's face it, we won't integrate a new product onto our lives if it is too difficult to make or use. This is faster than writing "spray cleaner" on the shopping list! I make two versions, depending on my mood. The first is a spray bottle filled with water, and put in a good squirt of liquid castile soap. That's it! The second version adds a capful of pine oil concentrate - I have some that is Olde Tyme 1881 Super Pine - 90% natural pine oil. Smells just like pine-sol.

Either of these cleaners will have a cloudy appearance.

Most folks have some castile soap, and if you don't you should. Get good old Dr. Bronner's. This is an easy way to try a homemade cleaner. Just spray it on and give it a few seconds to work before you wipe the surface down.

I use this for everything but glass.

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

always busy at SunshineForDinner.com

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  4:52:18 PM  Show Profile
I have the Castile liquid soap and I am going to use your recipe. Thanks for sharing it. I love these tried and true celaning that all the farm girls have made and share. Saves money and they work.

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

greentea
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Alicia
Wisconsin
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  08:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Send greentea an AOL message  Send greentea a Yahoo! Message
I've always struggled with castile soap and hard water. It seems like the soap gums up with our lime-laden water. Does anyone else have this problem?

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  04:01:13 AM  Show Profile
thanks .. i'm going to get some Dr. Bornner's today .. IF i can find it in this teeeeeeeeeensy little town of mine! If not .. next time i go to the BIG CITY .. i'll search for some. Thanks for the recipe. and GOSH i don't know if we have hard or soft water .. if it turns out to be HARD and i have the same problem as Alicia .. i'll just use it for another purpose. Again .. thanks! and yes .. you are soooooooo right about not conjuring up something if it takes a long time or exotic ingredients. xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  06:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Some Walgreens are now carrying dr bronners. One of the cheapest places I've found it online is drugstore.com. Also try amazon.com. Sometimes drugstore.com will run sales and specials, just have to keep checking and watching. Health/natural food stores will usually have it. I want to find some place that sells the gallon size. Shipping is too high for the gallon I think.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gardencottage
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Kelley
Oxnard Ca
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  06:14:10 AM  Show Profile
Target now carries Dr. Bronner's and they even have some small trial sizes which is great if you are new to using it and don't know if you will like it!

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
~Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  7:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Would adding a little distilled white vinegar help with the hard water problem? I use vinegar in place of fabric softener in my laundry. Did I mention I read Keats in Chemistry class and passed it only by a hair?
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  06:14:31 AM  Show Profile
i was wondering about the soap scum thingie too.

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  10:08:24 AM  Show Profile
You can buy on the Dr. Bronner's website too. If you buy $20 or more, they'll ship for free.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  04:44:07 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
If your water is hard, maybe some baking soda would help.

Katee

A life without love is like a year without summer.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Soozy-B
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Susan
Glendale WI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  10:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Soozy-B a Yahoo! Message
Hi Frannie:

Just noticed your post & your search for Dr. Bronner's soap. Did you ever find a source for it? If not, drop me a line. I actually know Ralph Bronner, who is the son of the original Dr. Bronner & can get you some if you still need it!

Sue (in WI)

quote:
Originally posted by CabinCreek-Kentucky

thanks .. i'm going to get some Dr. Bornner's today .. IF i can find it in this teeeeeeeeeensy little town of mine! If not .. next time i go to the BIG CITY .. i'll search for some. Thanks for the recipe. and GOSH i don't know if we have hard or soft water .. if it turns out to be HARD and i have the same problem as Alicia .. i'll just use it for another purpose. Again .. thanks! and yes .. you are soooooooo right about not conjuring up something if it takes a long time or exotic ingredients. xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  3:54:37 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I love Dr. Bronner's products! They have a lavendar scent I love, the peppermint and tea tree are great too! Target now carries there products?? I will have to check it out!
Laura
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  7:28:15 PM  Show Profile
The peppermint is wonderful in the shower in the summer after you've been out doing yardwork, etc. and are all sweaty and hot. It really leaves your skin feeling cool, not to mention smelling great! Just don't use it on your face - the peppermint scent is very strong! A little goes a long way.

Cathy (okiequilter)

www.AuntDaisysCottage.blogspot.com

A friend loves at all times.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  6:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip - I make a lot of my own cleaners and always use lavender oil in them. I guess it's my signature scent! I tried using Sweet Orange oil, but the scent seems to disapate too quickly.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  06:48:34 AM  Show Profile
I ran out of laundry soap on Friday and was not feeling up to making any up so I grabbed my Dr. Bronner's and Gave a couple of good squirts and some borax and my clothes came out great. Also mine was lavender scented so they smalled good too.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  02:25:16 AM  Show Profile
you cn also purchase Dr. Bronner's at www.vitacost.com

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  05:07:38 AM  Show Profile
I want to try your recipe to, Im new at all this where do you get the oil? Karen
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  04:54:11 AM  Show Profile
Karen, you can buy essential oils at any health food store. Most health food stores also sell Dr. Bonners.

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

The Midwife
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Kay
Fort Worth Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  5:21:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey farmgals;

I just read through the old posts here. I use water and tea tree oil to clean nearly everything in my house (except glass). It is a great fungus and bacterial killer, and leaves a smell that I like a lot. A few drops in a squirt container goes a long way.
k

If God throws you a curve ball, don't duck. You just might miss a great blessing
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  04:55:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kay, I'm trying different receipes untill i find one i like so I will try yours too.
Love your quote! Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  05:57:47 AM  Show Profile
I tried this and it works GREAT. I happen to have a huge bottle of Dr. Bronners Lavender and tea tree liquid castille that someone gave me. I put a bit in a spray bottle, some water, and the results were excellent! The tea tree kind of makes us cough a bit when its first sprayed, but makes everything nice and clean. I was happy to read here that tea tree oil kills fungus and bacteria, makes my cleaner a decent disinfectant. Cool.

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic my simple spray cleaner recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page