Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Anyone have problems digesting tomato sauces?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone have problems digesting tomato sauces? Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  08:30:54 AM  Show Profile
For the last 6 months or so, my husband gets sick everytime we have pasta and red sauce--whether it's out in a restaurant, or in. He usually complains about needing "to burp" and then wakes up about 4 am and ends up throwing up for an hour or so.

Last night was no different--we ordered pizza. It seems to only happen with tomato sauces--not chile sauces or anything like that.

I'm wondering if it's an ulcer, or maybe a hernia? I get heartburn, but I rarely have an upset stomach to the point of vomiting. It's really strange, though, and I'm beginning to get concerned.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  08:37:02 AM  Show Profile
Goodness...I hope that he is feeling better. It is probably acid reflux. Tomato sauce products have good amounts of acid and can affect some folks stomachs. I know that I've tried several meds to take if I know that I will be eating something with a sauce or affects my stomach. If he can get to the doc, they can prescribe or give him a few samples of prevacid. That usually works for me. The doctor told me it was acid reflux and/or an ulcer. Hope it gets to feeling better!

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  08:43:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jessica...I hate it when he's sick because of food--it's terrible...I'm thinking it's probably acid reflux, too. It only bothers me on occasion, and that's usually when I've combined tomatoes with wine (a glass or two). I think I'm going to go easy on his tummy for the next few weeks with some bland (AAAGHH!!) foods and see if we can get him into the doc for a prescription.

Thanks for your advice,
J
I

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  08:48:23 AM  Show Profile
My ex-husband, and my new and improved husband both have this problem. Neither had an ulcer, some folks just can't handle an acidy meal. I never make red sauce or regular type of pizza for dinner, it's a weekend lunch meal now. If you HAVE to have pasta, like me, make something cheesey. Recently, my husband's boss' wife invited us over for dinner, and served red sauce. My husband politely ate it, then ate Tums when we got home, before the problem arrived. He was fine.
I have noticed that red sauce bothers my husband more when he is stressed out, because it makes his stomach more acidy, I assume.
Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  11:21:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm pregnant and had that horrible indigestion feeling after eating almost anything, but especially acidy foods.

I bought some Zantac at the grocery store the other day and they work like a charm... no more burping feeling and no more feeling like a want to vomit.

They are over-the-counter and worth a shot!

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  12:52:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to get some of the xantac or whatever it's called on the way home--Tums sometimes seem to exacerbate the issue. Makes him feel even more queasy, he says. I always used alka selzer or baking soda and water--works like a charm, though is a little low on the taste charts :) I'm also going to get some fixin's for Chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese because he says he's hungry, but I'm not taking any chances!!!

That's a good idea, though, to make it for a weekend lunch meal, instead of dinner, so there is more time to digest and also to ward off any "evil" that comes along with it.

Shoot. I LOVE red sauce! I guess I'll just treat myself to Friday lunch at my favorite Italian place, Pompillio's, from now on :)

Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  4:59:44 PM  Show Profile
Ew, Tums and Rolaids really DID make me feel worse. :(

My symptoms are remarkably like your husband's. Maybe he's 3 months pregnant?? ;)

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  7:14:33 PM  Show Profile
That would be GREAT! Then I don't have to do all the work and HE can finally gain weight!!!!

Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  4:04:15 PM  Show Profile
I've noticed the same thing with myself. Except for the vomiting part. That must be so agrivating for him. I discovered, by accident, that my acid reflux problem was with processed sauces whether resturant or at home, but when I made them fresh I didn't have the problem. My thought was there may be some kind of preservative in them that is affecting me more than the acid in the tomatoes.

My goal for 08 is to get back on track with my garden, eat less processed and can my own on things that are causing me trouble.

Best of luck. It's depressing thinking about giving up something you love and for me it's red sauces for Italian dishes.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  09:39:35 AM  Show Profile
That's interesting--about the processed part. It's true with him for sure--the vomiting thing, I don't know. That's worrisome, but I almost feel like he worries himself to the point that his stomach just "purges" after a while. He tosses and turns and tosses and turns and it just really gets him bent out of shape on top of feeling like garbage...

I am going to try my hand at making tomato sauces this year myself--last year was such a terrible year for my tomatoes that I don't think I got enough for a snack.

Thanks for the ideas!

Go to Top of Page

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  3:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Any nightshade vegetable aggravates my acid reflux. Some people are senistive to them.

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  10:58:16 PM  Show Profile

Try a product called Acid Free, made by Performance Labs in Calabasas CA. It works on a different aspect than tums, etc. Helps my son a great deal with the same type of reaction to many acidic foods. Not sure how much it's marketed now in drugstores, used to be in Rite
Aid and Walgreens. The company can tell you who would have it, maybe a health food store in your area. Chewable tablets, not chalky like Rolaids and such and much better for you.
I swear by their vitamins too, only ones that don't "talk back to me". 1-800-848-2537 www.performancelabs.com
Ronna
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone have problems digesting tomato sauces? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page