Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Container Vegetable Gardening Next Topic  

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  06:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I've grown herbs in pots forever, but this year I am planning to try vegetables in containers. My deck is facing the perfect direction and very large. Has anyone done this? I'm looking for sources of nice container varieties, seeds and even started plants. Any ideas?

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  06:13:12 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine grew squash and bell peppers in pots. She used the side of her house with trellising to train the vines, so that they grew up and out--almost like a tree. It was like a sculpture, and she had a huge harvest--really beautiful!! Of course, it is somewhat difficult to ruin squash, but...it works, I guess it what I'm saying.

I think she just got her seeds from the garden store--picked the type of peppers and squash she liked.

I know that there are certain peas--Tom Thumb, I think, is the name, that grow in pots and produce english type peas. Check Seed Savers for those.

I usually just do hot peppers, all my herbs and tomatoes in pots. Last year was not such a good year for me container gardening, though. The drought really took a toll.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  06:27:12 AM  Show Profile
I do lots of veggies in containers. Tomatoes, of course and cukes on a trellis, lettuces and peppers do well also. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  06:47:25 AM  Show Profile
Actually, Sherry, I think you can successfully grow everything but corn and root crops in pots. If you are growing in pots on your deck, you don't really have a worry about keeping vining-type fruits clean when they trail over the sides of the pot. I have found though, that garden plants do not do well in pots with heavy soil, so you'll want a light potting soil. But then this also poses a problem with drying out in hot and/or windy weather. If you can, use plastic pots or paint clay pots to prevent evaporation through the pot. Cover the top of the soil with some kind of mulch. You still may have to water twice a day depending on the weather.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  09:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am "building" a garden on my deck this year. It gets full sun pretty much all day- so perfect for growing things. I am doing tomatoes, peppers, maybe I will try the peas, and I am still debating what else to put out there. The porch is about 10 feet wide by 5 feet deep. I can build up to have a depthness of 14 inches of soil. The good thing is the sprinkler system here hits out porch on one spot, so less watering for me!! : )

I had neighbors who grew a ton of vegetables in a small 6 x 6 plot of dirt. They had tomatoes, peas, squash, cucumbers, peppers, radishes, carrots and 2 types of lettuce. It was all jammed in there but it worked for them. She is not much of a gardener but mulched and "fed" the plants of lot of good organic soil every 2 weeks. I am going to try it myself.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  11:25:29 AM  Show Profile
I have had good luck with using "Earth boxes" for growing basil (like crazy), peppers and tomatoes. I like them because they have a reservoir you fill. Very easy and water wise. They are pricey and there are others similar on the market that may be less so. Good luck!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  09:41:00 AM  Show Profile
I read up about those EarthBoxes and they sound super. So....I went to the website to order an earthbox to give it a try.
Wowzer, the shipping is what kills me.
Any other recommendations for containers?
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  09:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I use just about anything that will hold dirt...tin coffee pots, old chicken waterers, pots and pans, etc. last year i even took an old charcoal grill and unhinged it making two pots, then spray painted them white. my favortie pot is deffinately the heavy plastic "look like terra cotta" ones as they hold moisture better than most, but they are expensive.

corrine

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Container Vegetable Gardening Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page