mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  12:00:50 PM  Show Profile
I have a 6 years son who is autisic. i don't want to put him on traditonal meds, but would like to use something a little more natural. if anyone can help, please. i would really appricate it.

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  3:55:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mommakatof2,
I have a son who has autism also. There are many different kinds and severities of autism.My son has ausbergers (I know that is spelled wrong) My son is now 26 years old and still lives at home and does pretty well. One of the important things with this disability is staying away from dyes,preservitives,msgs,trans fats, sugars,and stimulants.Some of these children have food allergies that don't always show up like normal children do. They can become hyper and irritated. These children are so much more sensative to these additives than normal children are. Herbs can be as dangerous as drugs. I would not venture there unless you know of someone who is really schooled in this area. They can have very adverse reactions just as we can. But depending on your childs autism knowing if its bothering them or not is sometimes hard to tell. Some communicate well while others will put up with pain and problems and not being to communicate that they are having a problem. Its a very complex disorder and is challenging everyday. My son has done some wonderful things over the years. He has learned to make beautiful wooden bowls hand turned on a lathe. He also loves taking pictures and studying the weather. These children are usually very bright in certain areas and you need to focus on these strong points and develop them. It really helps them focus and be more at peace with who they are. When my son was small he was very severe and has come leaps and bounds !!!
Anyway I will quit rambling but be careful on the herbs. Stick with well known herbs. I do not know if you are looking for a calming one or what your childs situation is but check out as many sources as you can before leaping in. Take care. If you have more specific info and want to share I will try to be as helpful as possible.
wooliespinner

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  8:12:37 PM  Show Profile
thanks linda, for both comments. As for my son, i am looking for something to calm him down. Alex is high-functioning (i think thats right) he's very hyper and a chatter box. he loves to see how things work and loves animals. one of his main things that we fight with is his chewing on everything and getting so upset about what his 5 year old brother does. thank you again.
on the goat, i have an older lamacha doe that i just bought about 2 months ago. well, i basicly rescued her. they weren't taking very good care of her, she was very thin and raggy looking. well, to make matters worse, she was also pregnate. she went off her feed about a week an half ago. i tried everything to get her to eat. finally, i had to go out every couple of hrs and make her eat. she started eatting after a week of this. well, she's somewhat better, but still really weak. she is due just any day now. do you have any ideas for building up her strength? i'm giving her bee pollen, a pre-natal vitamin, b-complex and dry colstrum.
do you think she will be better after she kids?
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  1:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Nieki,
sounds like your doe may have ketosis. It would be good to treat her with keto gel and some calcium. She may not have to strength to have her kids. You need to start her on this treatment right away. Usually you will see a big difference within 24 hours after you give it to her. They hate they way it taste but give it to her in small amounts so she doesn't choke. You can mix it with vanilla yoguart to make it taste better. Her appetite should get better also. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  3:01:28 PM  Show Profile
My son use to get really upset with his younger brother. He could not stand it if he cried or made noise that was unpredictable. I had a really rought year until my youngest son was a little older and started to interact with my son who has autism. My son is also high-functioning and was very hyper. They put him on meds for awhile. Its didn't seem to help much and we stopped. Moving out to the country and homeschooling him and also working with a therapist and a private tutor seemed to really help. Once he turned 12 years old he calmed down allot and became more focused. Its a constant challenge and I wish you to best luck. Hopefully his younger brother will become a playmate for him.
I hope your doe is going to make it.
I have rescued so many animals over the years I can't even count anymore. The last one was a coonhound/shepard cross about 5 months old that was thrown off a bridge. He had to have 4 surgeries to save his leg and shoulder. He was only 21 pounds and about 5 months old. It about broke my heart when I found him. I cried over this dog for a month for what he had gone through and the pain for the surgeries. He is fine now and 2 years old and 94 lbs. His leg works pretty good and he can run like the wind. I named him Toby. He is my pal. I will pray for your doe and and her kids. Super good luck to you.
Linda

Go to Top of Page

mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  4:15:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda, my doe is doing much better, she's eatting more. I mix peanut butter and powdered colostrum with her feed. I'm just worried she won't be able to have her kids okay. I'll let you know how everything goes.

BIG HUG...from one animal lover to another!
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  1:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Nieki,
sounds like your doing the best your can. Hopefully with the good care your giving her things will work out.After she kids she will at least have that behind her and maybe can start building up more. Good luck and keeping my fingers crossed.
Hugs back to you........take care.
Linda

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic what about herbs for autism? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page