Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Farbic Question, please help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Farbic Question, please help! Next Topic  

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  08:56:34 AM  Show Profile
I decided to just make my own flour sack towels.

First of all, I had the worst experience trying to get "fabric" for them. lol I was shocked that the women at Hancock's didn't even know what thread count was or meant! I asked one who was obviously at least in her 30's and she told me well it says 40 inches.......uh, no the inchees wide has nothing to do with thread count. Thread count is how many threads per a inch, and makes it either a thicker tighter weave, or thinner looser weave. I have no idea what you're talking about, I've never heard of such! Um, you know when you buy sheets, they are like 200, 300, 400 thread count. No, I don't know, never heard of anything like that. um, ok.

So then I decided to ask a even older woman! HA, she too didn't know of which I spoke! What how can you get to be these ages and not know what thread count means!

Any way, I finally lucked out and found ONE one kind of muslim that actually said 200 thread count!

Ok, it was 3.99 a yard. But here's my question, I was at Walmart yesterday and looking at Muslim, I found one that was just as heavy duty as the 3.99 one I got at Hancocks I think, it doesn't say thread count, but it was called Heavy Duty Muslim, looks pretty good. But, it only came in that unbleached kind. I really wanted white for my towels. (for embroidery). They didn't have any of the white at my Walmart. However, they had this other material that looks like Muslim, looked like a pretty tight weave too, and is called Tee Short I belive. (I know Tee was in it, I can't remember the second part for sure).

Has any one heard of it? Do you know if it's for Tea Towels, like Muslim, or Flour Sack towels? If so let me know. It's only 2.46 a yard for the white, and it came in a lot of colors.

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  09:58:08 AM  Show Profile
I've never heard of the "Tee..." fabric, but I did buy some muslin at WM - I think it was the heavy duty - and it's really pretty, especially after washing - a real soft cream. I've not seen it in white here, however, either.

Isn't that weird that someone working in a fabric store wouldn't know what thread count is? Oh, well... I'll bet they'll know for the next person who asks!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  11:52:28 AM  Show Profile
lol Actually I don't think they will know for the next person either! I had to figure out the 200 thread count one myself. They just thought I was nuts, and looked dazed and confused, and kept saying they had never heard of a thread count. And just kept over and over again, pointing to me the width of the fabric (40/42"). Even when I kept telling them that had nothing to do with the thread count! lol haha

Thanks about the WM heavy duty muslim I thought it looked really good. (the heavy duty one). I'm going to make some raggedy ann towels with it I think.

Hmm, I may just buy the Tee stuff and see how it does. But, I sure would like to do know what it is. lol haha
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  2:19:54 PM  Show Profile
If you have a K-Mart close by the Martha Stewart floursack towels are really nice. I've never been real impressed with Hancocks. The one in Vancouver has the same type of clerks -- doesn't seem like they are real sharp when it comes to sewing.

My Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Flair Etsy Team http://farmgirlsonetsy.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  3:29:06 PM  Show Profile
You can go on line at Herchners, and they have "flour sacks"
and Mary Maxiam
If you have a Wall-Mart they have them to in the place where you buy dish towels
My deceased Gran, called the material "dismesste"?
Not sure about the spelling
Some linens you can do that too,
I know what you mean the fabric stores don't carry any thing like that. Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  3:37:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Gals.

Well, I bought the WM towels, and they were horrible, I gave up trying to sew on them. It's like trying to embroider on gauze. lol That's why I decided to try to do my own. I'm almost sure the WM towels are like 100 thread count if that. lol I really don't like being under 200. Makes stitching much easier.

And yeah.......I don't know why people would get a job some where and not make a effort to know anything about where they are working! lol haha
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  4:34:30 PM  Show Profile
So is that "Tee" material 100% cotton? I used to work at House of Fabrics, then at a V&S variety store that had tons of fabric and we always sold different qualities of muslin in both bleached and unbleached. You could also check quilting stores, as a lot of people use the really wide muslin for backing on their quilts and that is most always a high thread count good quality muslin.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  5:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sherri, and yes it's 100% Cotton. :) It said it was prewashed, and preshrunk as well.

Next time I am there, I will write every thing down about it.

The thing is, is I asked around the women there, and while they were more knowledgeable then the women at Hancock's (surprisingly), they didn't know about the "tee" fabric. So I just let it go in my mind, I thought. lol Then I kept thinking about it when I got home and thought about coming here and asking! After I left and didn't really write every thing about the material down! I will for sure go back asap and write all the info down! :) And maybe google it. I tried googling, Tee Short, and TeeShort and didn't get anything about fabric.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  5:43:11 PM  Show Profile
www.yesterdayscharm.com sells fabric for making tea towels. Real nice stuff!
Denise~

"She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  6:18:34 PM  Show Profile
Oooo Thanks for sharing that link, I love things like that. pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  1:52:15 PM  Show Profile
They've got free patterns on that site too! Raggedy Ann for you Heather!

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ Blog
http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/soap.html Soap
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  2:40:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Bonnie, could you point me to the raggedy ann patterns?
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  3:39:57 PM  Show Profile
http://www.yesterdayscharm.com/ann_patterns.htm

I need to get me one of those transfer pencils

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ Blog
http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/soap.html Soap

Edited by - Bonne on Dec 31 2007 3:40:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  3:49:13 PM  Show Profile
hehe never mind, found it! lol haha Those are really cute ones too!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  3:50:52 PM  Show Profile
I suggest the pencil over the pen. The pen to me was too hard to work. The pencil is much easier. Beleive it or not I got the pencil at a Walmart. But, most Walmart's don't sell them! I seen them at JoAnn's too, but about twice the price at JoAnn's then Walmart.

BTW, I had tried to post right away that I had found it, but I posted and left the pc thinking it had posted, but it didn't! Sorry about that! lol
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Farbic Question, please help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page