Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Lavender- Help! Next Topic  

HeathersHeartfeltStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  4:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Send HeathersHeartfeltStitches a Yahoo! Message
We have a small Lavender plant by our back door, We moved in just in time to see great blooms but with the move and having the barn built then Hoss coming here...I forgot to snip and clip the Lavender back. Did I kill it or will it come back and bloom again?

We are so new to farming and I have so much to learn!!

http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  6:25:09 PM  Show Profile
It all depends on your Zone/climate.
When I lived in So. California, I gave mine a good "haircut" 2x a year, usually just above the woody branches. But now that I am in East Washington I have been told it's a whole new way of gardening. There is a lavender farm about 1/2 mile down the road and they prune theirs back to just a few inches above the ground & cover with straw for the winter. We get a fair amount of snow, but her lavender seems to suvive.
I would search/google it, maybe type in "growing lavender" and see what comes up. In fact I think I will do the same.
Good luck.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  12:03:27 PM  Show Profile
I live in a pretty harsh climate- super cold winters and super hot summers. I grow 2 hedgerows (each 20 linear feet) of lavender plus a large 10 square foot patch in my herb garden. I often don't get around to cutting them back. I have never lost a plant (although they sometimes look crappy when the snow recedes). Depending on the variety you have growing it can be incredibly hardy. Some of the cultivars that are sold at garden stores are pretty but not hardy. You can always check on line to see what variety you have (if you dont know) or call the extension agent in your county..

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers! ~John Muir
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  08:55:31 AM  Show Profile
We have harsher winters here, too, and I have a lavender plant that seems to do better when I don't prune it much before winter. Sometimes in the spring it will look dead, but I just give it a good drink of Miracle Grow, and it bounces right back. You may have to trim off the ends 4-5", just cut it back to where the new green is coming in.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  10:59:42 AM  Show Profile
Mine also seem to do better with no pruning. The leaves will look dead, but always fill in with new growth. I discovered this by accident, after forgetting to prune one year.
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  3:53:46 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
In your area, it's best to let them go till the beginning of spring, about the same time that you would prune your roses. Cut them back by 1/3 and they will bloom and grow like crazy.

I love lavender!!!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  9:06:36 PM  Show Profile
One of the other benefits of not pruning till spring is that I get a lot of baby plants from seeds that drop in the winter. They are really hardy and I can pluck them and move them wherever I want. I've even potted a few in little clay pots and given away as gifts.
Is there nothing lavender can't make better?!?!

Go to Top of Page

HeathersHeartfeltStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  07:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Send HeathersHeartfeltStitches a Yahoo! Message
I love that idea but how can you tell if there is a baby plant?

http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  11:26:16 AM  Show Profile
Lavender seeds are very hard but sitting under the snow for a couple of months really softens them up and allows them to germinate in the spring. You will see them usually under the big lavender plant. they have the same long, thin, grey leaves. Once I notice one I leave it for a while to get a little bit of root going. When it is about 1 inch tall or bigger I feel good taking it out and potting it. Some I just pull and transplant to other spots in the yard.
Good luck!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Lavender- Help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page