Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic starter lights? Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  12:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Hey gals, is the only way to ensure your seed starts have enough light in February, indoors, is to get those ugly, straight-out-of-a-horror-movie clinical looking lights? I've got a fairly sunny space, and I can keep it all the right temp and everything, but then in the afternoon, there is no more direct light for them to absorb. It's worked so far, I just rotate everybody every day so nobody gets light-starved and they grow fairly straight... but I've got several more plants that I want to start this year than last and so... I'm wanting to be sure they get off to a good start.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  12:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can also buy a special bulb from just about any store, just look for one that says it is for plants. They can go in any light fixture- lamp, overhead light etc. That is what I use and they work great.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog: http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  12:34:21 PM  Show Profile
Lynn, I start all of my bedding plants (about 100 flats per year) using only 2-tube, flourescent shop lights. I put one warm and one cool bulb in each. The fixtures themselves are cheap, as are the bulbs. I have no problems with leggy plants, just keep the bulbs roughly 2" above. I put mine on a cheap Walmart timer for 14 hrs. per day.

Di
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic starter lights? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page