knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  5:02:06 PM  Show Profile
Okay girls, I must be having a brain freeze here because I just can't seem to understand the pay pal situation. Does the money go into your checking account, how much does it cost to use pay pal, and when do you pay their fees? if anyone who uses this system could shed some light on this for me I would be most grateful.
Kathy

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  5:12:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy,
Money you receive goes into your paypal account, and you either spend the $ online, or you can get a Pay Pal debit card, and get cash from ATM's. After a certain amount of time, if you don't use it, it is put into your bank account. I have always spent the $ online, so I am not totally certain about depositing it back into your account. My husband had mentioned to me that the debit card is easier than the transfer to your bank account. I will ask him more about it when he gets home, he used to be an ebay seller. In the past, when I received a refund from ebayers, Pay pal charged me $0.11, which I beleive is the same amount that they deposit then withdraw from your bank account, to verify your account. If there aren't any other farm girls that have posted more info when I check back, I'll post what I find out from my hubbie.
Trish
Queen of run-on sentences.

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  5:15:30 PM  Show Profile
Please ask him because I am trying to muddle my way through the ebay way of making some revenue. I just wonder if anyone else on here has ever had a bad experience with pay pal and how many of you sell on ebay? Thanks for asking your husband Trisha, I will certainly be waiting for any tips he may have to offer. have a good one
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9346 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9346 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  7:20:05 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,
I have sold on ebay before and used paypal. You have to have a premier account if you are going to accept credit cards. Paypasl does charge a percentage of the amount paid to you for this acceptance of credit cards. The money as Trish said goes into your paypal account. I always got a check sent to me for the amount in my account less the charge for them sending the check. I think there is a way that it is done using your bank account but I have never done it that way. Because of the ebay fees and then the paypal fees I pretty much gave up selling on ebay and went to the etsy. Though if I have something that I am not allowed to sell on etsy since that is all supposed to be handmade I do use ebay. Sorry I couldn't be of more help about the bank account.

"She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  7:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is what I know about Pay Pal:

It is free to sign up. They do not charge account maint. fees. When you recieve funds, a percentage is taken out, usually around 4-6%. You can make your paypal account into a money market account so it is always earning interest.

You can have a money in your paypal account forever- it will just sit there or earn you interest if you have your account set up as a MM.

You can apply for a paypal debit card (I have one and love it) and use it at any place that accepts major credit cards.

You can transfer money from paypal to bank account several different ways. The Free way takes several business days. You can also transfer money from bank account to pay pal account and again, the free way takes a few days.

The REALLY nice thing about paypal is that if something goes wrong with e-bay and your item doesn't arrive, you can get your money back.

I highly recommend paypal. It is fairly simple to use once you sign up, they have good conflict resolution, good buyer protection, and I have never had a problem with mine.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog: http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  01:04:04 AM  Show Profile
It's been a little while since I've done it (maybe a year?) but when I have PP funds I transfer it to my normal bank account. It was really not a hassle or any problem at all. It was also free. I think, at least at that time, you could only do it for free once a month or something like that. Which was not an issue for us. PP has a good Q&A section that spells things out in plain English. I was just looking up something else there last week and was pleasantly surprised.

Blog: http://thelahs.blogspot.com/

Etsy: http://auntieemshouse.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  06:00:32 AM  Show Profile
just to correct one thing said above you can reqest that the money be deposited into your bank at ANY time. You do not have to wait a certain length of time to get it.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  7:56:38 PM  Show Profile
I've used paypal quite a bit and several merchants beyond Ebay use it for their payments. You can also send money to folks. If you receive an order with payment via Paypal, you can make packing slips for free & print the postage (if you know the exact weight of package) from home. You can also send invoices to customers and they can pay them. Another advantage is that you can accept checks, debit, and credit cards and not know the other person's information.

Here are options on getting your money out of Paypal:
* Withdraw funds to your bank account - Takes 3-4 business days - Free to do & is like direct deposit
* Request a check from PayPal - Takes 1-2 Weeks - Costs $1.50 to do
* Shop with a PayPal debit card - Instant(once you get a card) - Get cashback from ATM or shop like a normal credit/debit card
* Get cash out of an ATM - Instant - $1.00 per transaction
* Shop online with a Virtual Debit Card - Instant availability of funds - Free to do
* Buy from over 42,000 PayPal Shops - Instant availability of funds - Free to do

Based on prior experiences, I've requested money to my bank account and it is usually in there in about a couple of days.

As far as fees, it depends on the type of account you have with paypal. Here is the chart that details the fees:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

I hope that this info helps ya out. :)

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...

Edited by - kydeere40744 on Dec 28 2007 7:58:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  03:04:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone, this has helped a lot. Maybe I will be able to get my little project off the ground after the New Year. If anyone else has something to add I would still love to hear from you. Do you think having pay pal increases your business.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  09:16:27 AM  Show Profile
yes I do think it increases business. It offers some safeguards that you dont get if you just take checks and MOs. I typically prefer to buy only from businesses that accept paypal.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  10:49:59 AM  Show Profile
I know with my photography stuff - some folks would rather use Paypal than doing by check/money order/cash. I know that if I'm purchasing from somewhere and I already have money in paypal, I will use it first. Like Julie just mentioned, it has safeguards that you don't normally have if you take checks/money orders. A buyer can use a check to purchase through paypal (called an echeck) and it takes about 3-4 days to clear the bank before funds are in your account.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic pay pal question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page