YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  9:58:45 PM  Show Profile
I found this VERY sad and touching, but quite amazing. Anyone with a border collie, or a mix, will especially be impressed by this.

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Dog saves Pullman family, dies in fire
By Meghann M. Cuniff

The Spokesman-Review

If all dogs really do go to heaven, this pooch might have a special place.

A 6-year-old border collie named Sandler died in a Pullman house fire Friday morning after waking up his owner to warn her of the blaze.

Marilyn Harvey woke her 26-year-old son, Brent, and the two rushed with Sandler out a basement door. But the dog turned back. The family's 17-year-old Australian shepherd, Lewis, was still inside. Marilyn's husband, John, thinks Sandler was trying to save Lewis, too.

The dogs' bodies were found in adjacent rooms, fire investigator Richard Dragoo said.

John Harvey, who was in Seattle at the time of the fire, said his wife and son didn't hear smoke alarms.

Sandler "went up and jumped on the bed," Harvey said. "He woke her up in the middle of a dead sleep."

Harvey said his wife is grateful but surprised by the rescue. "She felt sometimes that he didn't like her," said Harvey, owner of the Denny's restaurant in Pullman. "He was my dog."

A bird named Kellogg also perished in the fire, which was reported about 6:10 a.m. and extinguished by 8:20 a.m.

Investigators believe a candle left burning in the family room of the two-story house was the cause. A cat named Raja escaped unharmed.

The Harveys have homeowner's insurance and are staying at a Pullman hotel.

The house was destroyed, but the family plans to rebuild on the same site. The only salvageable items were found in the garage and under the Christmas tree, Harvey said.

Harvey said his family will always be grateful to Sandler.

"We're a little devastated now, but I think tomorrow will be better," he said. "It makes the holidays a little bit more valuable."

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  10:25:53 PM  Show Profile
I read that in our paper, too. Sad, but to think that the dog not only saved the family but thought of his old pal, Lewis. Very touching what Mr. Harvey said also about making this time of year more valuable for them. Memories! MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  10:43:05 PM  Show Profile
that's really great that the dog did that. animals are not dumb that's for sure, and they love their people very much.they are lots smarter than some folks give them credit for. sorry that the dogs perished though. and yes, I had a border collie before and a sable collie also, very smart dogs.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  07:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Very sad story, but Sandler must have been a very smart and special dog to do that.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  07:51:48 AM  Show Profile
That's a bummer of a story, but uplifting, too. Noone can tell me that they don't have feelings or emotions, these animals. What was notable to me (and made me think of my own clan) is that the cat made it out (and, incidentally, didn't bother to wake anyone )....as much as my three kitties rely on us for food and clean litter, and a warm lap in the evening, I'm pretty sure they might fend for themselves when push came to shove, too

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  08:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It is interesting that you point that out Jonni- Cats have only been domesticated for 8000 years where as dogs are closer to 10-14,000 years.

I feel sad that the two dog died in the fire. I can't imagine losing Sky-Dog. She is such a good alert dog too. I'll never forget the day that I first burnt food when she was around. I had some bread in the oven and went into the other room to look up some recipes on line. Well, of course I got distracted (I think I was on this site, actually...) Anyway- Suddenly Sky is acting all crazy like she needs to get out, so I get up to let her out and instead of running to the door, she ran to the oven! The bread was slightly singed, but still edible. If I would have gotten up right away I bet it wouldn't have been burnt at all!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog: http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sad but amazing story... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page