City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  10:44:21 AM  Show Profile
I bought my 9 yo this book for Christmas. I can't wait for her to open it. http://www.daringbookforgirls.com/about-the-book

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  11:24:52 AM  Show Profile
I asked my SIL to get this for my girls... I hope she does!

What a cool idea for a book.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  12:54:55 PM  Show Profile
I looked at it in the bookstore recently. Its cute!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  12:38:38 PM  Show Profile
I bought this book to put in my classroom and all the girls are passing it around. I love it too. I had the Dangerous Book for Boys on my summer reading list for the 7th and 8th graders and they just had the best time reading it and doing the things in it!
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  6:28:12 PM  Show Profile
I've still got to get the girls' book. I also just used the Dangerous Book for Boys with my grade 7 English class as material for informational-text reading. They all, boys and girls, gobbled it up, to the point that many of them have since gone out and had their parents buy it, or the book for girls, (one even bought the book for dogs!) for them. As a teacher, it was a very gratifying response to reading to see, that's for sure. (As an aside, I used the momentum of enthusiasm to the book for a writing task, where they all had to write chapters for their own "dangerous" book!)
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  10:01:38 AM  Show Profile
Great idea laluna!! I guess you are getting ready for state assessments too, huh? Not my favorite time of year, but soon it will be done. My kids are actually trying to do well on all of the practice tests and activities we are doing.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  8:39:49 PM  Show Profile
When I first saw this book at Costco I wanted to get it for my step grand daughter...but then I took a closer look and found something I did not like. This is my opinion, but I did not like the pages on levitation. So I did not buy it for that reason...made me think there may be more stuff that I would not like.
Again...this is my own opinion, but for those of you who might be bothered by this-look it over first to make sure you want your young girls exposed to this. This is NOT intended to offend anyone...just to give a heads up.
Thanks for letting me share.

Pamela

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  07:47:17 AM  Show Profile
Pamela, thank you for pointing that out. I will take a look at it and have a discussion with my dd about it.

I appreciate the heads up.

Deb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  08:54:10 AM  Show Profile
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why the concern over the pages on levitation? I remember being silly at sleepovers as a girl and trying to "levitate" each other; it usually ended up with someone being "dropped" and a bunch of girls laughing!

And Sheryl, yep - state assessments, however did you know?! I'm not even showing them the test until we return from winter break...I don't want anyone to get too stressed over it; rather, I just want them to know what it looks like and a few strategies for answering the different types of questions.

Edited by - laluna on Dec 24 2007 08:56:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  09:24:28 AM  Show Profile
Laluna: I have been prepping my kids most of the year, using materials from my regular curriculum. My school puts A LOT of pressure on us to get good scores and we don't always (my kids are smart, but do not read much and it shows). They are trying hard though, so whatever happens, I am ok with it.

Hope you are all enjoying your holiday!

My new blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  3:29:49 PM  Show Profile
I just bought this book today. Wow! If I'd had this as a girl, I'd have been the most kick-butt girl in town!!

This is chock-full of everything a girl need to know. It's not just fun stuff like how to build campfires and build paper airplanes... it's things like how to run meetings and info about finances.

It's really an incredible book.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  3:42:41 PM  Show Profile
My sister got copies of both books (for boys and girls) for my children and my neices' and nephew. The adults were enjoying them more than the kids on Christmas Day. The sleep over games mentioned above, were not appealing to me, but most everything else was. I loved reading about modern day princesses and.....did you know that Julia Childs was a spy for the CIA before becoming a chef? I would have loved books like these when I was a kid - and they sure brought back some memories! (Not that I'm THAT old of course :)!)
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
http://forresterfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  9:49:22 PM  Show Profile
My daughter and I were looking at both the "girls" and "boys" versions at Costco. After thoughtful consideration, she proclaimed she'd rather do "Dangerous Boy" things. She thought much of the girl stuff was lame.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  08:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
It looks like the official sleepover book. All the crazy things we did as girls that seem to have been forgotten. My sister works with girls at a youth home and she had to teach them how to play MASH. Of course, they love it. They played it on her all night last night and she is going to marry her current boyfriend live on a ranch and have four more kids...she's not objecting.

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  08:47:40 AM  Show Profile
Pamala, I found you, My sweet gal MJ told me, Just wanted to tell you yes the girls are making mud pies, My 12 year old is kinda between deciding to be more grown up or staying young Im thinking she will soon be to old for the mud pies, I had rather she was making mud pies than trying to be 20 We are in no big hurry to see them get old fast, Some little boy asked her if he could hold her hand when they walked down the hall, she said you can walk down the hall withme but we wont hold hands, I dont believe in that, My daughter and I got A GOOD LAUGH BUT WE SURE WAS PROUD OF HER thanks miss wilma

I am a farm girl married to a sewing machine

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  11:13:17 AM  Show Profile
My daughter asked for this one for Christmas, and I got it for her. She's 29. She fell in love with it when she got the Dangerous Book For Boys for her sons.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Daring Book for Girls Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page